GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have your suspension blocks been removed ?

Umar977

Passed Driver's Ed
i seem to be having a issue with my suspension whenever going over a hump slow it makes a grunt noise. Anyone know what the issue would be with that

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Destruction of the upper suspension mounting points would likely be the case if they are retained. I drove my car home with them in - about 50 miles. It was the harshest ride I have ever experienced in a car. The slightest bump would bottom out the suspension with a loud 'bang' - very unpleasant.

Needless to say I played hell with the dealer the next morning (who denied they were in - and that was even after they were e-mailed by me before collection to remind them to remove the pucks!) and called out VW Assist who promptly removed the pucks for me.

The dealer later provided GBP300.00 in compensation - around $500.00

ASBOST

I had mine on my car for 3000 mile! I do cover approximately 1000 miles a week so it was only for three weeks.

I noticed the ride was really harsh, now I came from a Megane 265 CUP which had really firm suspension but the Golf just wasn't right....It would crash at every bump in the road and was awful.....then I noticed a rubbing sound coming from the driver side first which got worse so took it back into a separate dealership in Ireland and they confirmed my fears.

The blocks hadn't been removed at the PDI stage! I just hope there is no long term damage. Car drives like a dream now!

Ripley GTI

First time post here, but thank you MK7 forum! Being military in Germany, I ordered a US spec GTI and had a car built in Mexico shipped BACK to Germany! Picked it up at the port and drove 650km of autobahn fun and was worried I over committed myself to the harsh ride of the GTI.

Took the wife for a spin and she almost got carsick from the harshness. Started looking into dumping money to smooth it out, only to find this thread! I jacked up the car and I felt like Charlie Bucket finding that golden ticket! Pulled them out and all is well! Thanks again, look forward to a great future with the car and the forum.

John

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
First time post here, but thank you MK7 forum! Being military in Germany, I ordered a US spec GTI and had a car built in Mexico shipped BACK to Germany! Picked it up at the port and drove 650km of autobahn fun and was worried I over committed myself to the harsh ride of the GTI.

Took the wife for a spin and she almost got carsick from the harshness. Started looking into dumping money to smooth it out, only to find this thread! I jacked up the car and I felt like Charlie Bucket finding that golden ticket! Pulled them out and all is well! Thanks again, look forward to a great future with the car and the forum.

John

So sad this still happens.
Thanks for your service.
Enjoy the GTI.
Post some pics of the new ride!

To bad this thread can not be locked at the top of a posting page. This should be mandatory reading for visitors and new members. If anyone can help please do. Would a request to the overlords help?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
excuse my ignorance but whats the purpose of the shipping plugs?

I will take my best guess at it and others can correct.
The Mexico cars and likely German are shipped by rail or boat and then car carrier. When shipped they are often parked very close to each other to maximize space. When in place straps are used to hook the car and floor anchors together. They are pulled tight. The purpose is to limit movement to prevent damage to vehicle and keep them from hitting each other should the ride get rough. If the shipping pucks are not used for shipping then the cars suspension could allow the car to move and bounce. It might move enough to cause suspension damage also. So with the shipping pucks in place they can strap the car down and limit most movement. The pucks work well and this is why it is bad for VW to leave them in place. Once you buy and start driving a big pot hole could cause damage because with the pucks in place you have little suspension.
To any new buyer, I would request they check car before you take it. If they say the have been removed ask them to verify again. If they will not then inform them if you find them later you will return and the discussion will not be pretty.
It is one thing to forget, but to ignor my request and leave them in is unforgivable.
My dealer did a great job but I did bug them about it.
My sales rep put three large notes in my bag the service tech would use to prepare the car.
1. Verify shipping pucks all removed.
2. Do not mount any license plates or drill holes in bumpers.
3. Hand wash only, or do not wash at all.

ParticleMan

If this is so easy for them to overlook, maybe as a procedure they should take out the blocks, put them in a plastic bag and give them to you when you pick up the car.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If this is so easy for them to overlook, maybe as a procedure they should take out the blocks, put them in a plastic bag and give them to you when you pick up the car.

Yes that would be a good plan. One VW should impose.
But they likely feel most buyers are not aware of the item.
They would wonder what these pink and blue things are.
Also if the dealer did their job none of us would know about this item.
A hard core MK7 buyer might appreciate getting them.
On my car there was a large tag that must have been attached to the steering wheel from the plant. It reminded the dealer to remove shipping pucks. My dealer placed the tag in one of my bags of info.
See my build thead link below for a picture of the tag I shared.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Also if the dealer did their job none of us would know about this item.

Ultimately, this is the take-home. And I believe it to be a representative example of the poor quality work of (st/d)ealerships in general.

So excited for my next car to never be touched by a dealership worker's hands (unless of course warranty work is required). And even then I will require a master tech to do the work and video documentation of the process.

Linden VW in North Jersey does this on request. Have had great experiences with their master tech. To anyone reading this that lives within remotely reasonable driving distance of Linden VW, I suggest you get your car fixed/serviced there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zacr811

Ready to race!

ProjectDD

Glad I found this thread. I thought my mk7 sport's ride seemed a lot more harsh than an S that I test drove. Just went and checked...all 6 pucks were still in place.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Glad I found this thread. I thought my mk7 sport's ride seemed a lot more harsh than an S that I test drove. Just went and checked...all 6 pucks were still in place.

Glad you found them.
Have a talk with the dealership Manager.
Stress how big an error this is.
Hope no damage. Have them check so the
error is documented should an issue come up later.