GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Hey thought I would contribute.
We just have 2 brand new revision H IS38's blow up ON 2 DIFFERENT CARS.
Both IS38's were BRAND NEW from the dealer and got professionally balanced by G-Pop in Arkansas.
Both turbos hit the deck within minutes of installation.
Both Turbos are getting warrantied and under quote on quote "clogged Turbo oil passage".

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
Both IS38's were BRAND NEW from the dealer and got professionally balanced by G-Pop in Arkansas.
Both Turbos are getting warrantied and under quote on quote "clogged Turbo oil passage".

My unbalanced turbo is running stronger than ever. The balancing has shown to do more harm than good. Which I think you are beginning to learn.

MacaN

Ready to race!

What was the mode?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

They bought them direct from dealer? How were they warranties running on modded cars? I'm confused

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
maybe not true. my is38 was balanced and ceramic coated by gpop and running great so far.

We bought them brand new from the dealer.
I strongly believe that this balancing horror story is BS.
We have multiple sources stating its an oil flow issue with the turbo itself due to a machining defect, which would explain all the seals popping from over pressure, causing the turbo to starve of oil and then completely detonating.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

We have multiple sources stating its an oil flow issue with the turbo itself due to a machining defect, which would explain all the seals popping from over pressure, causing the turbo to starve of oil and then completely detonating.

Is there any precautions that can be taken? (For the OEM IS20 or IS38). Can anything be done? Rather be proactive in this type of scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacaN

Ready to race!

So.. it happened right after installtion?

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
So.. it happened right after installtion?

Yes.
Both turbos came from the same batch and blew back to back.
Both got balanced by a very reputable shop prior to installation.
One got installed by a VW dealer and the other by me personally.
I did it twice before.
Both cars were properly primed prior to start up and both cars were allowed 30 minutes of warm up. Both cars got fresh oil as well and wastegate was also properly set prior to start up.