GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had ANY problems or ANY negative side effects with either this mod or the ECS Bleeder block? Was considering doing the mod when a good, knowledgeable friend of mine advised against it. Thanks.

Did it probably (the DIY job).... 2-3k miles ago? No issues whatsoever - bleeding it was a breeze too, I didn't even use a speed bleeder. I drove at least 1.5k miles on it before I got my clutch upgrade. I was doing this regardless, and I did not have any clutch issues before or after doing the bleeder mod.

I think most people have trouble with bleeding the clutch properly and either drain too much fluid from the hydraulics or they introduce a leak causing pressure loss and stuck clutch pedals.

The only advice I have against it is it may be harder to engage the clutch as smoothly (though surely not impossible).

Also if you save the little yellow piece, it's most likely 100% reversible too if you don't like the quicker engagement.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had ANY problems or ANY negative side effects with either this mod or the ECS Bleeder block? Was considering doing the mod when a good, knowledgeable friend of mine advised against it. Thanks.

The ONLY bad that can come of this is the clutch line popping off the block due to improper reinstallation, leading to a stuck clutch. Happened to me in Denver after i drove the car from Philly a few days after i installed the ECS block. Since i didnt have a torx bit with me i just used my roadside assistance and had the car towed to a mod friendly dealer who rebled the clutch and reinstalled it for me under warranty. It has worked like a charm for a month since, have literally no complaints about the mod. Its all take, no give.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The only advice I have against it is it may be harder to engage the clutch as smoothly (though surely not impossible).

I strongly disagree with this. The delay valve made clutch engagement rougher and made me, a skilled manual driver, look like i didnt know what i was doing. The delete makes the clutch behave like, well, a clutch. Release pedal, clutch engages in direct congruence with the movement of your foot. I think its much smoother with the delete.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
I strongly disagree with this. The delay valve made clutch engagement rougher and made me, a skilled manual driver, look like i didnt know what i was doing. The delete makes the clutch behave like, well, a clutch. Release pedal, clutch engages in direct congruence with the movement of your foot. I think its much smoother with the delete.

True. I was really just grasping for any negatives to this mod :D

Tone1

Ready to race!
Yeah so I had a pretty ahh...significant failure when performing this mod. Haven't really seen anyone with the same problem, but figured it may be helpful information. After I removed the stock bleeder block and while I was attempting to remove the restrictor plate, the hexagonal housing that the bleeder screws into popped out after I removed the retaining clip from the "base" of the T that is the block. It shot about 10 ft down a storm drain, effectively immobilizing the car until I could get a replacement part. Had to fork over ~$150 to ECS to get their bleeder block overnighted, as it would have taken at least 2 days to get the OEM piece from a dealer. On the plus side, the 1 way bleeder screw made it a breeze to bleed, and I now have great clutch action that actually makes sense.

TL;DR don't remove the CDV near a storm drain, ECS block works great for me, but is probably an unnecessary expenditure.

Boogy's GTI

Ready to race!
This mod is pretty awesome I must say. Makes a noticeable difference. I didn't drill out the hole but I did shave the bleeder mount as to not restrict the fluid flow. It was a littler concerning to me after that I saw fluid by the nut but I blew it out with compressed air and it was gone.

I then added the V2 Dogbone mount by 034 and that was the icing on the cake. Shifting is really smooth now.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Agreed, I finally did this mod myself (well, had the shop do it while it was in the shop) and I like it a lot!!

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
IMG_1146.JPG.yo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
I spent the last week driving a Z4M coupe then got back in my GTI today. It's plain as day how the clutch is still slow to re-engage even with the delay valve removed. What else can be done?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Derf

Ready to race!
Hi,
I'm trying to grasp this mod. I understand the bleeder valve change to make bleeding the clutch easier. Maybe if/when I decide to DIY that job I'll put it in, but seems like doing it before you actually need to bleed the clutch means you will just need to do the job again when the clutch fluid actually needs bleeding. Seems like that's more work than just bleeding it when it needs it every ~2 years. But I guess this is just the gravy on this mod, the real purpose of which is to remove this yellow delay valve...

I've driven manual transmission cars for over 14 years, and the GTI since Feb. I don't have a problem shifting or with the clutch not engaging quickly enough. That could just be my style of driving though, which isn't overly aggressive, since I don't track my car. Maybe if I were racing or trying to get power down more quickly as I get on the highway I'd want the clutch to engage faster, but I find for normal DD activities it's very smooth.

Seems like the restrictor makes the clutch engage smoothly, even if you release the pedal quickly. Removing it would provide a more direct connection between your foot and the clutch so if you raise the pedal slowly it engages smoothly, and if you raise your foot off the pedal quickly it engages quickly. Quickly engaging can be better if you're looking for full usable power immediately, but it can also make the acceleration feel a little jerky. I think VW put the restrictor in to make the ride feel more tame, especially for the passengers of a lead-footed driver.

If I am misunderstanding this mod let me know. I hear some of you saying the restrictor plate made you seem like you didn't know what you were doing or how to shift, which I can't understand. If anything it would seem like it would make drivers who don't understand the nuances of how to smoothly engage a clutch drive better by smoothing the clutching for them. But I'm not in the car with you so I don't really know what you mean.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Seems like the restrictor makes the clutch engage smoothly, even if you release the pedal quickly. Removing it would provide a more direct connection between your foot and the clutch so if you raise the pedal slowly it engages smoothly, and if you raise your foot off the pedal quickly it engages quickly. Quickly engaging can be better if you're looking for full usable power immediately, but it can also make the acceleration feel a little jerky. I think VW put the restrictor in to make the ride feel more tame, especially for the passengers of a lead-footed driver.

This is the part that you have correct. If you're a good driver and remove the delay valve, you can choose for yourself whether you want the clutch to engage slowly or quickly by changing how quickly you release the pedal. If you're a novice driver or an idiot, VW put the delay valve there to protect against you. Quickly releasing the clutch too often would put extra stress on the driveline and possibly cause premature wear.