GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MIB1 > MIB2 NEW SIMPLIFIED Method

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
I am not too familiar with the part numbers for non-North American MIB2 units, but you could look into 3Q0035874C (should have nav which might not be needed), 3Q0035864C (should have nav which might not be needed), and 3Q0035842C (check the label that it is a Delphi unit; no nav). I think those should have DAB, but you'll want to verify.
Thanks - so it's the delphi which is easy to 'hack' to work with carplay and remove CP?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks - so it's the delphi which is easy to 'hack' to work with carplay and remove CP?
So is it not worth looking at the tecnisat/preh radios at all? can these be hacked?
Delphi units can be patched using an SD card fairly easily (even more so with the wide array of patches for European software trains compared to North American software trains). However, TechniSat/Preh units can also be patched and can be considered. I didn't list TechniSat/Preh part numbers because I am even less familiar with those compared to Delphi. I also personally prefer Delphi to TechniSat/Preh units, but that is entirely subjective.

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
Delphi units can be patched using an SD card fairly easily (even more so with the wide array of patches for European software trains compared to North American software trains). However, TechniSat/Preh units can also be patched and can be considered. I didn't list TechniSat/Preh part numbers because I am even less familiar with those compared to Delphi. I also personally prefer Delphi to TechniSat/Preh units, but that is entirely subjective.

Thanks for the help - found this one - it says from touran - can it be unlocked to work on golf 2015 and have carplay? It SO confusing all the different variations!

Attachments

• mib2.png
    mib2.png
    1 MB · Views: 11

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for the help - found this one - it says from touran - can it be unlocked to work on golf 2015 and have carplay? It SO confusing all the different variations!
That one is a TechniSat/Preh unit. A Delphi version's sticker looks like this:

1711305585485.jpeg

As I am not particularly familiar with TechniSat/Preh, I don't want to give you incorrect information on patching those units. Also, as a correction to my earlier post with part numbers, it looks like 3Q0035864C does not have DAB, so I would exclude that from your search. If you go the Delphi route, you may have to update the unit's software train before patching.

If you source a unit from a different vehicle (e.g., a Polo instead of a Golf or something), you may need to make minor coding changes to the unit with a scan tool. You can also find other useful info in the MIB1 to MIB2 conversion thread.

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
That one is a TechniSat/Preh unit. A Delphi version's sticker looks like this:

View attachment 301450
As I am not particularly familiar with TechniSat/Preh, I don't want to give you incorrect information on patching those units. Also, as a correction to my earlier post with part numbers, it looks like 3Q0035864C does not have DAB, so I would exclude that from your search. If you go the Delphi route, you may have to update the unit's software train before patching.

If you source a unit from a different vehicle (e.g., a Polo instead of a Golf or something), you may need to make minor coding changes to the unit with a scan tool. You can also find other useful info in the MIB1 to MIB2 conversion thread.
really appreciate the help. I have been told to find a golf 3Q0035874C - I have quickly read the hacking instructions - but still confusing! Do you need to know the radio software etc to be able to create a patch ( or am I way off!) and will this unit I have found (delphi) be easy to swap with just SD card? Thanks in advance

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
really appreciate the help. I have been told to find a golf 3Q0035874C - I have quickly read the hacking instructions - but still confusing! Do you need to know the radio software etc to be able to create a patch ( or am I way off!) and will this unit I have found (delphi) be easy to swap with just SD card? Thanks in advance
3Q0035874C is one of the newer Delphi units from facelift cars, so it should be running an MST2_EU_VW_P08XXD software train. I am not sure about the one you are referencing (there doesn't appear to be a link or anything); however, almost all of the newer P08XXD software trains for Europe have patches made for them.

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
3Q0035874C is one of the newer Delphi units from facelift cars, so it should be running an MST2_EU_VW_P08XXD software train. I am not sure about the one you are referencing (there doesn't appear to be a link or anything); however, almost all of the newer P08XXD software trains for Europe have patches made for them.
I was trying to do this as cheap as possible for my 19 year old daughter - so the cheaper single SD preh/technisat units can't be done easily?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I was trying to do this as cheap as possible for my 19 year old daughter - so the cheaper single SD preh/technisat units can't be done easily?
As far as I am aware, TechniSat/Preh units with navigation (two SD card slots) can use a similar SD card patching method like the Delphi units. With the non-nav TechniSat/Preh units, I think it's a little more involved, but I haven't worked with those units to comment.

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
As far as I am aware, TechniSat/Preh units with navigation (two SD card slots) can use a similar SD card patching method like the Delphi units. With the non-nav TechniSat/Preh units, I think it's a little more involved, but I haven't worked with those units to comment.
Again thanks for the info - I am slowly gaining knowledge on it - I did buy an MIB2 from ebay that was wrong and my daughter is upset with me! So I need to find a suitable replacement asap...

So... The MIB2 units with 1 SD slot can't be done? or can't be done easily?

like this : https://www.ebay.de/itm/134958778669

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Again thanks for the info - I am slowly gaining knowledge on it - I did buy an MIB2 from ebay that was wrong and my daughter is upset with me! So I need to find a suitable replacement asap...

So... The MIB2 units with 1 SD slot can't be done? or can't be done easily?

like this : https://www.ebay.de/itm/134958778669
TechniSat/Preh units with one SD card slot can likely be done using a USB to HSD cable or by directly connecting to the eMMC memory of the unit. I haven't worked with these units before, so that's the extent of my knowledge about patching them.

Delphi units without navigation can be patched using the SD card method. However, you have to be careful because it is generally not recommended to update between major software train versions (e.g, P06XX to P08XX) unless you are absolutely certain that it will work. Not all software trains have patches available, so you will want to try to ensure that the unit you pick can be patched (or can be safely updated to a patchable software train version).

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is the issue - its a minefield in second hand units with different hardware and software variations! I take it the software isn't mentioned on the labels?
I think it is possible to take the software MU version that is on the label (e.g., 0613 from your ebay.de example) and map that to a software train. I think that unit would have something like MST2_US_VW_P0504D. You wouldn't want that unit because it is North American (hence the US part of MU-S-S-US) and thus would not work with DAB.

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
I think it is possible to take the software MU version that is on the label (e.g., 0613 from your ebay.de example) and map that to a software train. I think that unit would have something like MST2_US_VW_P0504D. You wouldn't want that unit because it is North American (hence the US part of MU-S-S-US) and thus would not work with DAB.

Sorry - I really don't understand the 'software train' element - what does this mean? sorry for all the questions - I just wish there was a way to know which radio would work for my daughter and how to hack it! We are in the UK and need DAB if possible. It looks to me like the easiest is the nav units with 2 SD slots - and these are obviously the most expensive.

So I am getting things right:

Delphi 2 SD card slots - easy to hack with SD software?
Tecnisat 2 SD slots - easy to hack or not?

Single SD cards - some impossible? some possible with more indepth programming?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Sorry - I really don't understand the 'software train' element - what does this mean? sorry for all the questions - I just wish there was a way to know which radio would work for my daughter and how to hack it! We are in the UK and need DAB if possible. It looks to me like the easiest is the nav units with 2 SD slots - and these are obviously the most expensive.

So I am getting things right:

Delphi 2 SD card slots - easy to hack with SD software?
Tecnisat 2 SD slots - easy to hack or not?

Single SD cards - some impossible? some possible with more indepth programming?
The software train is the firmware version that the unit is running. MST2_US_VW_P0504D can be 'decoded' like so:
  • MST2 = MIB Standard Generation 2 (MIB2 Standard)
  • US = region code for North America
  • VW = brand code for Volkswagen
  • P0504D = software version; P for production, 0504 for release version (05XX line) and D for Delphi
When patching Delphi units, you need to use a patch based on the unit's software train and hardware type (e.g., navigation unit). Some software trains may not have a patch available and are not recommended to be updated to newer 'lines' (e.g., trying to go from 05XX to 08XX would likely brick the unit).

To answer your question on patching units:
  • Delphi with 2 SD card slots = works with Congo and Duke SD card activator so long as a patch exists based for the unit's software train and hardware type (e.g., navigation unit).
  • Delphi with one card slot = works with Congo and Duke SD card activator so long as a patch exists based for the unit's software train and hardware type (e.g., navigation unit).
  • TechniSat/Preh with 2 SD card slots = works with a different SD card patching method and is relatively easy
  • TechniSat/Preh with one SD card slot = possible but can be more involved depending on which method is used (USB2HSD or eMMC)
Hopefully that helps some.