GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MIB1 > MIB2 NEW SIMPLIFIED Method

Carrythezero

Beginner related question. MIB1 unit in my 2015 Sportwagen crapped out so I figure it's high time to upgrade. I've started to accumulate parts for the MIB2 conversion per this method. My question is, do I need VCDS/OBDEleven to complete this? I don't currently own either. Reading through it seems I might need to check/change adaptations post install. Is this a fair assessment?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Beginner related question. MIB1 unit in my 2015 Sportwagen crapped out so I figure it's high time to upgrade. I've started to accumulate parts for the MIB2 conversion per this method. My question is, do I need VCDS/OBDEleven to complete this? I don't currently own either. Reading through it seems I might need to check/change adaptations post install. Is this a fair assessment?
Unless the donor car you are sourcing a replacement MIB main unit from was fairly identical in terms of its features (e.g., reverse camera, parking sensors, audio system, etc.), you are likely going to want some kind of scan tool to make minor coding/adaptation changes. Whether it's absolutely required depends on how different your car's equipment is.

Carrythezero

Unless the donor car you are sourcing a replacement MIB main unit from was fairly identical in terms of its features (e.g., reverse camera, parking sensors, audio system, etc.), you are likely going to want some kind of scan tool to make minor coding/adaptation changes. Whether it's absolutely required depends on how different your car's equipment is.

Thanks appreciate the info! I grabbed the glovebox unit out of a 2017 Alltrack so imagine it will close, but sounds like would be smart to have that capability. I made sure to get a Delphi non-nav unit.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
hey maybe you guys can help me, i just bricked my new 3q0035876a, i installed it into the car, component protective was active, pulled the software info: MST2_US_VW_P0628D. using an SD card ran activator by Congo and duke, updated and worked fine, still component protected. Then placed the two delphi .sh /ifs files onto a freshly formatted sd card, placed in slot 1 turn on the iginition and as the MIB loaded a red ABORTE appeared and then it reset itself and now will only show the opening screen after holding the power button for 15-20 seconds, as soon as i let go the screen goes black. i am trying to properly understand why this occured so after i reset the unit i dont have it happen again. when i do the reset through Putty, i plan on having the newest software MST2_US_VW_P0635D on the SD card.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Should not be any reason to put .sh files onto the SD card if you're using the correct version of C&D and the correct firmware for the update.

Also, you should only have to update and run C&D once and component protection is removed. Sounds like the first step did NOT update correctly. Did you do the update downloaded from mibsolution first and then remove component protection with C&D second?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
delphibin.ifs is specific to the unit's software train and hardware (Nav vs. non-nav, etc.). I am not aware of a patch available for the MST2_US_VW_P0628D software train. To use the patch for the MST2_US_VW_P0635D software train, you would have had to update the unit to that software train prior to attempting to patch component protection by injecting delphibin.ifs. I suspect you may have used the wrong delphibin.ifs, which is why your unit is unable to boot properly.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Should not be any reason to put .sh files onto the SD card if you're using the correct version of C&D and the correct firmware for the update.

Also, you should only have to update and run C&D once and component protection is removed. Sounds like the first step did NOT update correctly. Did you do the update downloaded from mibsolution first and then remove component protection with C&D second?
The Congo and Duke activator does not remove component protection. There are alternate activators that attempt to bundle patches and remove component protection, but the true Congo and Duke one does not do that. It enables the ability to inject and execute scripts/files in addition to activating FECs.

Last edited:

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'

After the activator finished I turned the ignition off then turned the car on completely to get the battery charging and CP was still active. Additionally I used the newest version of C&D. Additionally I was unable to get Putty to show info, my com is 5 and I was using 115200bps, do they run off something different? Loaded a black dos prompt and even while it was reloading repeatedly nothing displayed.

Last edited:

Carrythezero

Any alternate location to get the CP Patch files? The link seems to be down.
Screenshot 2024-03-23 192826.png

baldybouncer-

Car(s)
Golf mk7+ Golf mk8
Can anyone help a newbie - I am looking to replace my daughters MIB1 unit with MIB2 for carplay. The car is UK spec 2015 with DAB - I am so confused on which brand/part number to buy. So does anyone know the best part number to look for with regards DAB and ease of unlocking?!

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
The Congo and Duke activator does not remove component protection. There are alternate activators that attempt to bundle patches and remove component protection, but the true Congo and Duke one does not do that. It enables the ability to inject and execute scripts/files in addition to activating FECs.
The one that I used absolutely removed component protection from the screen. Be aware that it doesn't truly remove CP (will show as a fault in the scans) but it supresses the error and results in a 100% functional MIB2.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Can anyone help a newbie - I am looking to replace my daughters MIB1 unit with MIB2 for carplay. The car is UK spec 2015 with DAB - I am so confused on which brand/part number to buy. So does anyone know the best part number to look for with regards DAB and ease of unlocking?!
I am not too familiar with the part numbers for non-North American MIB2 units, but you could look into 3Q0035874C (should have nav which might not be needed)and 3Q0035842C (check the label that it is a Delphi unit; no nav). I think those should have DAB, but you'll want to verify.

Correction: It appears that 3Q0035864C may not have DAB

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The one that I used absolutely removed component protection from the screen. Be aware that it doesn't truly remove CP (will show as a fault in the scans) but it supresses the error and results in a 100% functional MIB2.
I don't doubt that the activator you used handled component protection. I am just highlighting that the official Congo and Duke activator does not do that. You likely used the repackaged one with 'autobackup' or 'toolbox' which is made by someone else (who uses the base Congo and Duke activator) and has been known to cause issues in some cases.

If someone uses the official Congo and Duke activator, it will not remove ('suppress') component protection unless you inject delphibin.ifs using a script file.