Attachments

• 20190722_111717.jpg
    20190722_111717.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 482

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm having the same thoughts. I ordered an APR one...and with all the rain we've been getting in So Cal...not sure I want to get rid of my rear wiper...but I really like the look of the clean rear end. Who knows...it might be one of those things that if I don't use...I won't really miss. I just might end up waiting till all the rain stops to install it.

Just to throw in 2 cents of SoCal experience, I installed the ECS plug over a year ago so I've been through a winter without the rear wiper. I even did a Rain-X treatment at the same time to try and offset the amount of water that is going to stay on the rear window.

20190105_130223_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Result? Well it looks better, no one questions that. First time you're out in the pouring rain, especially on a freeway with all the roost water stuck to the back window, you'll miss it. Even in the summer because I'm lazy and don't wash my car often, the dirt and dust that builds up on the back window can't be easily wiped away anymore.

I'm not telling people NOT do to do this mod, but the damn thing is there for a reason and you'll miss it when it's gone. Or not, I'm not telling you how to live your life. :D

Mine could be going back on before this winter hits. Still not sure.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
^^^ Nah, I don't miss my rear wiper at all. Just put on a good layer of Rain-X and it will be fine. If it gets real dirty, all you have to do is just rinse it off with a hose or if you are on the road and the next time you get gas, just wipe it off with the squeegee.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Just to throw in 2 cents of SoCal experience, I installed the ECS plug over a year ago so I've been through a winter without the rear wiper. I even did a Rain-X treatment at the same time to try and offset the amount of water that is going to stay on the rear window.

20190105_130223_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Result? Well it looks better, no one questions that. First time you're out in the pouring rain, especially on a freeway with all the roost water stuck to the back window, you'll miss it. Even in the summer because I'm lazy and don't wash my car often, the dirt and dust that builds up on the back window can't be easily wiped away anymore.

I'm not telling people NOT do to do this mod, but the damn thing is there for a reason and you'll miss it when it's gone. Or not, I'm not telling you how to live your life. :D

Mine could be going back on before this winter hits. Still not sure.

I did it anyways a few months back. I like the clean look. Don’t think I’ll miss the wiper. I asked my GF if she wanted to change out the rear wiper on her car when I did her front ones. She said to me “why?...I never use it”. I also asked a friend with a Golf wagon. He said he never uses it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiker369

on air, don't care
I live in south florida, had my wiper delete on my mk7 since December 2016, before that it was on my mk6 for years. We have rain more often than not. It isn't a big deal.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I like my wiper, I am intensely practical though. I drive an Alltrack, haul tons of different crap in it, dogs , kayaks, canoes, pull small trailer with dirt bikes. I'm 71, like wipers! I like seeing out the rear after driving twenty miles of dusty dirt road or through slush and snow storms. I wish they were bigger and really cleaned more of the glass.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I live in south florida, had my wiper delete on my mk7 since December 2016, before that it was on my mk6 for years. We have rain more often than not. It isn't a big deal.

I’ve only come across once where I really needed to use my rear wiper years ago. It just rained and it was also a road that tractors drove on. My rear glass was covered in a film of dirt. Good thing I had a wiper on that car. Lol...I even took a pic of it...and apparently...it’s from 2011[emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Thread revival, mainly because I finally deleted the wiper. Guess I should get rid of the GTI badge too...

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
NY Res too. Looks sick. How does the AF lip do keeping rain off? Does it do much?

Thank you! It does absolutely nothing to keep the rain off lol