GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building a high boost Mk7 Golf R engine

Qassem

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
It depends on many factors,
Mk7 R at the range of 640 whp managed to get 9.5 1/4 mile with different turbo kits

At MRC they managed 650 whp with G30-770,
So high nines is achievable for sure.

G30 - 900 & 1050 were available at DBV2 at the time I ordered at same exact price for the 900 kit and slightly more for 1050 one.

One of my goals is to reach high 9s but at the same time , keeping the car away from being too laggy at low RPMs
770 is the right balance for me.

My questions to @Drew & Diggs, give us more details on the car, tune and the full setup ( transmission, fuel, water meth , boost levels, suspension, tires , wheel , full weight or not …etc ) ?!
Did you try MRC tune before ?!
And how your cars feel at low rpms with the 900 kit ?!
Probably and for sure 1050 is extremely laggy and will be purely drag racing car (for me i like to enjoy my car , not daily for sure but at least in the weekend).

Note : MRC managed 10.4 1/4 with TTV5 104 RON fuel (30c summer day in Bahrain at the drag strip)

Thanks

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
We don't have MRC over here.
Did they achieve that with customer cars or just their in house car which they don't release details to the public about what all they did to get into the 9s? Are they going to be performing all those same modifications to your car as well?
Everyone has different definitions for laggy. A 770 is still pretty laggy. And yes, if you want to daily drive a 900 or 1050 is probably not the best turbo to run, they'll be worse.

I wish you luck on hitting your 9s. Looks like a solid build. Have fun.

Qassem

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
We don't have MRC over here.
Did they achieve that with customer cars or just their in house car which they don't release details to the public about what all they did to get into the 9s? Are they going to be performing all those same modifications to your car as well?
Everyone has different definitions for laggy. A 770 is still pretty laggy. And yes, if you want to daily drive a 900 or 1050 is probably not the best turbo to run, they'll be worse.

I wish you luck on hitting your 9s. Looks like a solid build. Have fun.
Thank you dear,
All are customer’s cars,
My car will be the second MRC tuned car with this Garrett turbo.
The first MRC car in our region (middle east) was a seat leon cupra ~ 700 whp (obviously not a drag car) but my car will be first R in the GCC.
No secrets (its a custom E85 tune with water meth , bigger port injectors and dual LPFP with lines) 2.7 bar of boost

With supported mods and some suspension tweaks (weight reduction for sure)
High 9s is easily manageable with our platform now a days , but people lived in the 10s era for a while and can’t realize it’s achievable until they see it over youtube or FB.

Ecotune managed 9.3 with this engine and dq250 (not sure which Garrett but I believe its 900 or 1050)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It depends on many factors,
Mk7 R at the range of 640 whp managed to get 9.5 1/4 mile with different turbo kits

At MRC they managed 650 whp with G30-770,
So high nines is achievable for sure.

G30 - 900 & 1050 were available at DBV2 at the time I ordered at same exact price for the 900 kit and slightly more for 1050 one.

One of my goals is to reach high 9s but at the same time , keeping the car away from being too laggy at low RPMs
770 is the right balance for me.

My questions to @Drew & Diggs, give us more details on the car, tune and the full setup ( transmission, fuel, water meth , boost levels, suspension, tires , wheel , full weight or not …etc ) ?!
Did you try MRC tune before ?!
And how your cars feel at low rpms with the 900 kit ?!
Probably and for sure 1050 is extremely laggy and will be purely drag racing car (for me i like to enjoy my car , not daily for sure but at least in the weekend).

Note : MRC managed 10.4 1/4 with TTV5 104 RON fuel (30c summer day in Bahrain at the drag strip)

Thanks
All of my car's info is in my build thread, way too much to list here in this post. Just click on my signature at the bottom where it has my current whp and wtq numbers and it will bring you to it. The first page lists all of my parts installed and parts that I have waiting to be installed.

9's are slowly becoming more achievable with this platform, more so with R's than GTI's. To get a MK7/7.5 GTI into the 9's takes a lot of work and money because it's FWD.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If possible, please document the build/progress on YouTube. Super interested. Not everyone is on social media. 😉

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
He was the producer of that YouTube channel and they stopped making videos a year ago as well. Something happened

CmlapisMK7R

Thank you all for the replies,
I appreciate your responses,

If you allow me , I would like to update you with the situation of the project:

My current setup:
My engine is CJXB - ROW port injection from the factory

Stage 3 MRC tuned , TTV5 turbo 2.2 bar custom tune (98 RON) - water meth

Engine modifications:
Stock engine internals
Walbro 450 LPFP
Auto tech HPFP
MRC intake manifold (flap deleted)
Racingline intercooler
Racingline Engine oil cooler
Racingline DSG oil cooler
Racingline catch can system
Racingline cold air intake
NGK -9 racing plugs - OEM updated coils
CSF 2 auxiliary rediators
CSF main radiator
Charge pipes
3.5 down-pipe - Oettinger valved catback exhaust

Transmission modifications:
DQ250 - stage 4 MRC tune (7200 RPM) with variable RPM launch control
Wavetrac LSD
DCT stage 2 clutches

Suspension and brake modifications:
Nuespeed new 6 pot BBK 340mm (goes with 17” motegi racing and full slick tires)
Aluminum subframe
Bilstein b16 damptromic coil overs
Super pro fixed camper sturts mounts
Super pro aluminum LCA
Super pro front & Raer sway bars
034 rear upper control arms (adjustable)
Super pro full bushings (rear)
Super pro engine & transmission mounts
Weichers front struts bar
I sweep rear subframe struts bar
Weichers roll cage
Racingline rear carbon fiber cross brace

New project parts (already ordered):

Garett G30-770 complete kit from DBV2
83 mm JE ultra pistons (9.6:1) compression
ZRP i beam rods (23mm pins)- refill drilled
ACL rod bearings
ACL Main bearings (might go with OEM according to color code)
New thrust bearings
ARP bolts (every single thing available for our ea888 gen 3
Ferrea valves (intake & exhaust) over sized
Ferrea springs
Bartek valve guides and valve keys
New hydraulic tappet set
Bartek oil pump
Bartek race water pump
Bartek timing chain
New balance shafts
Fluid damper crank pulley
precision race work stage 4 fuel kit (dual 450 assembled with lines)
Fuel it flex fuel kit
Torque byte dual pump fuel controller
Okada ignition Coils
Forge Motorsport water pipes kit

Note: I might forget other parts
Quessam,
I see your running the Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers setup. How do you like these Coilovers? I'm currently running these in my 2017 Golf R and experiencing some knocking driving over large bumps at slow speeds on the front shocks. I was told to cut the bumpstops. I recently cut 2 nubs off the bumpstops but the noise is still there. I was wondering if you have experienced any noise like this on your B16 coilovers and what you did to fix the issue? I am currently using ECS Tuning HD front strut mounts. Really appreciate any help on fixing this issue. Thanks...Love your build.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
I had nothing but problems with my B16's in my previous R. The ride was terrible, they make a lot of noise and they are harsh AF. I switched to the Ohlins road and track and it was a NIGHT and DAY difference in every way. 10x better!

Quessam,
I see your running the Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers setup. How do you like these Coilovers? I'm currently running these in my 2017 Golf R and experiencing some knocking driving over large bumps at slow speeds on the front shocks. I was told to cut the bumpstops. I recently cut 2 nubs off the bumpstops but the noise is still there. I was wondering if you have experienced any noise like this on your B16 coilovers and what you did to fix the issue? I am currently using ECS Tuning HD front strut mounts. Really appreciate any help on fixing this issue. Thanks...Love your build.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I had nothing but problems with my B16's in my previous R. The ride was terrible, they make a lot of noise and they are harsh AF. I switched to the Ohlins road and track and it was a NIGHT and DAY difference in every way. 10x better!

I have them currently, and have zero issues. No noises, clunks, and not harsh AF.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
Im sure there are thousands that have zero issues..... Do a search, ull see countless ppl complain about how HARSH they are. U wont find ANY posts where ppl complain about how HARSH the Ohlins are. Night and day difference bro. Night and day.....

I have them currently, and have zero issues. No noises, clunks, and not harsh AF.

Qassem

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Have u realized that going 9's is a lot harder than u thought? Been like a year bro
wondering how fast u got ur car to go..... And which Turbo u ended up with.
Hi Mate,
Thank you for waking up this thread again, and for you all; in order to update you about my lovely project
i finished the mechanical part of fitting the DBV2 Kit after building the engine (I ended up going with G30-900 for several reasons (mainly for my 1/4 mile target).
Finished the multi map tune with MRC:
Map 1: 1.9 bar 98 RON
Map 2: 2.2 bar 98 RON
Map 3 : E70 - still fine tuning this file (i made some adjustments on the fuel setup)
I used to use dual walbro 450 (PR stage 4 with hobb switch that will trigger the secondary pump at 13 psi of boost)
But i Moved to PM4 dual controller cause the hobb switch wasn’t consistent triggering the secondary pump (i will not gamble fuelling at this level of the project)
Just waiting for the weather here in dubai to get better (50 c out those day - and humidity is killing you how about the car)
The car now is in sleeping 😴 mode until October (will dyno it and finalise map 3)

As an overview of my experience with this setup - not neglecting the boost lag
I am extremely happy how i kept the identity of the car (4 cylinder) at the same time , it’s completely different animal when it comes to boost delivery (reminds me of old days and JDMs cars)
You will not believe me that you still can daily your car if you want (of coarse it depends on your goal with it) but i assure you , you will never find a car that allows you to do all that mods and at the same time still giving you the feelings of daily at a press of a button (multiple maps is crazy).

Its costly investment- but for me i am enjoying every single part of this journey

Will keep you posted about HP figures and 100-200 times