GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 and 2 drivability

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
We're close to buying a new 2018 GT I SE auto and if we do I intend to do APR stage 1 and probably 2.
Will I lose the user friendly day to day deliverability?
We just sold an 06 Mustang manual GT that was Procharged, catback, injectors and dyno tune.
My wife hated it and refused to drive It because it was a little wild and wooly as a daily driver.
Thanks
Jack

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
If you punch it pass 3k rpm you will notice big time but if you drive it to do your normal life, run errands, do groceries etc your wife won't even notice is tuned.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Apr stage 1 and 2 actually have better daily driver manners IMO. There’s less delay in he pedal which makes it feel more like every other car. The factory settings lag way far behind your actual input

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
If you're considering APR, just skip stage 1 and go for 2. You buy the downpipe and get the tune for little to no cost.

X2 on this, I regret that I didn’t do it so I ended up spending more money for the same... anyway...

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I mentioned skipping stage 1 and going directly to 2 and the tuner guy said you had to get 1 before you can do 2?
Any Kansas City folks, where should I be going for tuning?
By the way, we pick up our new 17 SE auto. today!

Muzza80

Passed Driver's Ed
I mentioned skipping stage 1 and going directly to 2 and the tuner guy said you had to get 1 before you can do 2?

That's how I understood it, you needed to have APR1 to get the APR2 upgrade free when buying the downpipe?

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
You won't see a real drivability change until going to a larger turbo. Tunes will give you a lot more low end torque which I like for a daily.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie

you can go stage 2 directly all you need is a downpipe, intake and the flash, at that point you possibly want an intercooler also and here we go down the rabbit hole :)
What happens with APR is that if you paid for stage 1 then stage 2 "is free" when you buy the APR downpipe.
Looking a their prices it looks like you pay for stage 1 and buy the APR downpipe and they will flash the stage 2 for free.

Attachments

• APR.jpg
    APR.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,991

TroyI

Ready to race!
I drove my GTI for 2 months before going APR stage 1. It's very easily driveable after you learn to not push the peddle as far as you did when stock (took about a week to adjust). My wife had never driven it stock and owns an almost zero horsepower MiniCooper where I can't hardly make the tires spin with it floored in the rain, from a stop. She came in after driving the GTI with huge eyes saying how much she loved driving it, but had the "wheel spin" light flashing a lot. (traction control light). Now she wants to trade in her Mini for one. (she's kind of a wild Xgame type woman though)

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
How long should I wait since it's new, to get the APR?
Didn't know if there's a requisite mileage break in before you start tuning.
The guy I spoke with at Hindson also said if you go stage2, you need some trans software remapping to keep if from slipping.
Is this correct?

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
I completely understand your dilemma about keeping it daily driver friendly. I have a supercharged 02 Mustang Gt that totally sucks to daily drive. Ride terrible, handles terrible, gets 12 mpg and only fast in a straight line. I bought it new and struggle to get rid of it. Lately I’ve been trying to make it more comfortable and compliant to drive more. With that being said, my GTI has a downpipe and stage 2 Apr software and I love driving it. If you have a DSG then I would look into the software for that as well. My car is a manual and I had to have a clutch installed because of slippage. Hopefully in the next few months I’m going to put an intercooler on it and call it done. I think I had about 7500 miles on my GTI when I tuned it. Hope this helps.