GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone done this setup?
F - 18x8.5 et.35
R - 18x9.5 et.30

Those rears would have 25mm more poke than flush, that's a lot of poke.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Has anyone done this setup?
F - 18x8.5 et.35
R - 18x9.5 et.30
Asking that question needs a bit more information regarding what suspension you're going to run and what your goal is. If you're going to be bagged with -6 degrees of rear camber and fender work, I'm sure you could make that work. If you're sticking with a set of lowering springs then that setup would just look and fit horribly.

EDIT: I was on mobile so I couldn't see your sig, if your bags are installed you should use a fitment comparison tool like this: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

And then mock up that offset to see how it sits with your fenders. Your alignment is going to play a big part in that too. Sorry that's not super helpful but I don't have a ton of experience with bagged setups.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Why would you want to put a wider rear tire on a FWD car? Am I missing something?

This is why a person's goal with a wheel and tire setup is important to know. It's not uncommon to run a wider rear wheel/staggered setup on bagged show cars. Nothing to do with function at all, its just for the look:

I know everyone has opinions, but thats not what this thread is for.

Side note: I think it would be helpful to start a separate "Bagged" setup thread, since those setups are going to be significantly different than slightly poked, wider tires, functional track setups, etc.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
These came off my MK5, got the wheels rebuilt so was looking to use them if i could. Guess we will have to test fit this weekend and see how that goes.

This might not help, but my guess is with similar alignment/rear camber specs they should fit really similarly on your MK7. The difference between MK5/6 and MK7 fitment seems to be really minor fender differences that allow a bit more wheel or tire than before, but it's not different like fitting the wheels to a completely different platform.

Nisoaz

Hey guys - I'm kind of new to the boards. I read and read and read... and from what I understood, there is an extremely widespread response to what I am looking for. I would love some insight if people are willing to give me a hand with this one. So I'm looking to go to some coilovers pretty soon (haven't made up my mind yet) and some new wheels. The rule of thumb that I've always heard when it comes to wheels on the MK6 or Mk7 is Stock height / springs, 19" and Bagged/coilovers 18". I'm looking to get into some AvantGarde M220 in 18x8 et45 - not sure what to wrap them on. I'm trying also to figure out if I will need to roll/pull fenders. I have a fender roller from my old cars and heard that VW metal/paint is actually pretty decent for when it comes to rolling, unlike Subaru (especially with their pearl colours, which tend to crack).

Anyone have any issues with coilovers/18" wheels set up in that spec? I think 225/45R18 fit on that wheel set-up as well (which is what the GTI comes with). Anyways, from a VW noob to the experts out there, any insight is helpful! Thanks!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hey guys - I'm kind of new to the boards. I read and read and read... and from what I understood, there is an extremely widespread response to what I am looking for. I would love some insight if people are willing to give me a hand with this one. So I'm looking to go to some coilovers pretty soon (haven't made up my mind yet) and some new wheels. The rule of thumb that I've always heard when it comes to wheels on the MK6 or Mk7 is Stock height / springs, 19" and Bagged/coilovers 18". I'm looking to get into some AvantGarde M220 in 18x8 et45 - not sure what to wrap them on. I'm trying also to figure out if I will need to roll/pull fenders. I have a fender roller from my old cars and heard that VW metal/paint is actually pretty decent for when it comes to rolling, unlike Subaru (especially with their pearl colours, which tend to crack).

Anyone have any issues with coilovers/18" wheels set up in that spec? I think 225/45R18 fit on that wheel set-up as well (which is what the GTI comes with). Anyways, from a VW noob to the experts out there, any insight is helpful! Thanks!

Your suspension doesn't dictate what wheel diameter to run, that's completely a personal preference. Most people that choose 18's over 19's do so because of preference, road quality so a taller side walled tire gives the wheel more protection, or to save some money on tires. All things being equal with wheel offsets and tire sizes you can run 20" wheels on a MK7 if that's what floats your boat.

For an 18x8 ET45 wheel you would want to run 225/40-18 or a 235/40-18 tire. That wheel width/offset is ~11mm more aggressive than a stock 18" wheel and wouldn't give you any rubbing issues until you get very very low. That is a common setup that is very safe and not aggressive.

The 225/45-18 size you noted would be too large in diameter.

Nisoaz

Of course its up to personal preference, but no one likes to look at a giant gap between the fender and the tire, lets be honest. I'm looking to pick up some BC coilovers, set them low, not slammed ZOMG STANCE NATION low, but low enough.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Of course its up to personal preference, but no one likes to look at a giant gap between the fender and the tire, lets be honest. I'm looking to pick up some BC coilovers, set them low, not slammed ZOMG STANCE NATION low, but low enough.

Right, but fender gap doesn't have anything to do with wheel size. A 19" wheel with the correct tire will have the same diameter as a 18" wheel with the correct tire size. Fender gap is all down to suspension.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Wrong thread to be asking about this when you're looking a an 8 with 225 lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nisoaz

I'm trying to figure out how aggressive I can get with coilovers and 18" wheels without having to pull/roll, essentially. I used to run 19x9.5+25 on 245/35R19 Front and 19x10.5+25 on 275/35R19 Rear on my Gen Coupe, it was quite aggressive, especially on coilovers but I had to shave off a bit of the inner lip and some of my struts.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.modbargains....3/11/avant-garde-m220-wheels-vw-mk6-gti-5.jpg

Kind of the look I'm going for