GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice: Should I trade in my Mk7 for '17 Porsche 718 Boxster?

slik

Ready to race!
I have both, a GTI and a Cayman. Love them both. Nothing handles like a Porsche, but the GTI is cute and also drives nice. The cayman works fine for 2. 2 golf bags in the back, 2 weekender suitcases in the front. More room then what you think but not the room for 4 people and storage like the GTI.
Strictly a matter of taste. I like having both.
I might stay away from the new Porsche 4 cylinder. Still quick and handles nice, just not the right sound. You can tell the sound of a Porsche long before you see it.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I have both, a GTI and a Cayman. Love them both. Nothing handles like a Porsche, but the GTI is cute and also drives nice. The cayman works fine for 2. 2 golf bags in the back, 2 weekender suitcases in the front. More room then what you think but not the room for 4 people and storage like the GTI.
Strictly a matter of taste. I like having both.
Cute?? You should get banned for that bullsh*t. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

asecondfaster

Ready to race!
Great comment guys! I will rent Porsche for one full day off from Turo app and see how much I fell in love with Porsche. For $60k with 4 Cyl Porsche is def not worth money, maybe used 911, or used Lamborghini. I am still weighting my options.

Lagger1

Ready to race!
Porsche 718. 2017 world performance car of the year. Fit the frame in the passenger seat & rim in the trunk. Save $$ not buying a funky bike rack :D

And on the flipside not a horrible investment. Perhaps the bigger blunder is buying a Golf outright and expecting a return.

asecondfaster

Ready to race!
I know how you feel. When I was young I bought a new car every 2 years.

San Fran, eh? I traveled there on business a lot. Do you have a garage?

If it were me, and I didn't mind taking the financial hit on the trade I'd at least want the P garaged. And I'd buy a beater pickup truck for "hauling" duties.

Yes, I live in a condo where I have underground gated garage with assigned parking number and security. I see very few cars park around here. Many San Franciscans do not own a car since we have best transportation system in west coast.

asecondfaster

Ready to race!
Just think about the things you normally do not think about.
With the Porsche and price point, leaving it in public will now be a worry.
Where will it park at night?
Where will it park at work?
Where will I park when out to eat?
Who else can drive when I go with friends.
Do I need friends.
What will my future wife think when I meet her?
Or how will I know she like me or my car?

Pay off the Golf if not paid for. Pocket the $40,000 and invest in retirement.
The best time to save is now when you are young and have money.
Honestly, start early and with much money if you can. You will thank me later.

Another option is trade the Golf in, buy an R and have performance and the same cargo capability as the Golf. Still save between $20,000 and $30,000.

Future wife will think, you are smart and hot!:cool:
Buy the LSG color and look classy.

You are funny. I park my car at home (underground parking) and I ride cable car to work. I have a decent 401k plan from my company.

If my future date stopped talking to me after I text her that I sold my Porsche and I knew she is not the one for me.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes, I live in a condo where I have underground gated garage with assigned parking number and security. I see very few cars park around here. Many San Franciscans do not own a car since we have best transportation system in west coast.

You mean the cable cars? :) I was always thinking what would happen if the brake didn't grab the cable hard enough when going downhill. And, dam, those operators are tough.

asecondfaster

Ready to race!
You mean the cable cars? :) I was always thinking what would happen if the brake didn't grab the cable hard enough when going downhill. And, dam, those operators are tough.

Yes, and I really like the smell when brake grinding on the rail when going downhill in order to stop the intersection or to slow down.

We have different kind of transportations within 49 square miles area.

cable car:

Muni:

Bart:

New bart is coming in 2018-19

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Biggest no brainer ever IMO. Other than the storage space and cost there is no reason not to trade for the Boxster. And you said it's in the budget.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
You are funny. I park my car at home (underground parking) and I ride cable car to work. I have a decent 401k plan from my company.

If my future date stopped talking to me after I text her that I sold my Porsche and I knew she is not the one for me.

I am 6 miles from work.

Wish I had cable car to ride in.

Sounds like good set up for car.

The Porsche pictured is lowered? This is just an example?

How about a Mustang GT350? You can drive the streets like Steve McQueen in the movie Bullet. I hear they look good in person.

This will sound good in the parking deck.
You will not have this much fun in a Porsche. For $60,000 buy something says, here I am! What ever you do share with us. Interested in outcome.

Hello everyone!
Hells coming for supper!

https://youtu.be/UOm8S_rE7rY

That exhaust is almost as good as mine!

https://youtu.be/Emk8y1CilnI

Last edited:

AKF427

Ready to race!
Get the Porsche!

I've been on a seemingly downward brand trajectory....Audi S4, BMW M3, CPO'd Hyundai Accent ("Tried" a weird WTF phase since 90% usage is for commute. Hey, it dutifully fulfilled all obligations w/o a hiccup & its satisfying to just pay cash). Stumbled ass-backwards into a GTI as a 3rd car/fun car/wknd car. Got 5spd, would never commute in a 5spd. 2 months in I left the Hyundai out with the recyclables on trash night. The GTI is very endearing & simply the best auto value prop I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Yet, your life absolutely dictates that you get the Porsche.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
See you have a Golf OP. Can see why you want something with more oomph. I had a 2016 Golf and traded it for a 2017 GTI, I'm also in the Bay Area (down south) and the GTI is plenty around here. My good friend lives in the Sunset and has a 2013 911. Barely drives the thing because of public transport and free work transport.