GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MIB1 > MIB2 NEW SIMPLIFIED Method

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Ok that helps for sure. That is exactly how mine is behaving and probably what happened to me. I plan to, If I can recover it, update to the newest firmware as It has the correct patch available. I have unfortunately lost my original Delphibin.ifs file (my stupid mistake). Could you possibly be able to send me your original file? That's the only way I can see myself being able to recover at this point. Thank you for all of the info! I have my USB adapter arriving today. Luckily its easy to throw my MIB1 back in so I still have radio until I figure this out.
I hope your recovery attempt is successful. If I need to go to Plan C, what/where for the newest firmware and delphibin.ifs patch file please? All of this is fresh in my mind so let me know if you have further issues/questions, it will be good to compare notes. I know that this is a hack but given that VW Dealer Service appears not to be supporting/offering a "legit" solution, there's no other way...

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Hi, Yes I'd be happy to send it to you. Do you have a Dropbox (or similar) file sharing link? I strongly recommend that you confirm your hardware config is identical to mine (label photo attached)View attachment 300311
Yeah that is the hardware that I have. I do have a dropbox.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Just wanted to mention, on my second recovery attempt using the SD card with delphi.sh and my original (backed-up) delphibin.ifs in the root (was successful), I did disconnect and reconnect the battery (negative terminal) before doing it. That might have been important/necessary...

toa5tmaster

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
1st time posting here but have been digging through for several months. I am currently working on a MIB2 retrofit on a 2015 GTI with fender amp (currently coded as dynaudio) and NAV. I’m on my 4th head unit. I have gotten a technisat unit fully unlocked with CP patch and all but it doesn’t function with MIB1 fender amp. I’ve had a Delphi non-nav unit that brings up sound for a moment but cannot seem to get CP patch to work for Delphi.

Most recently I got a 3Q0035876A that I will attempt the Congo & Duke 3.0 activator on and report with results and what firmware is involved. I will also give details later this week on what didn’t work from the last few head units.

This whole process is difficult to find information for and not well documented for MIB1 to MIB2 conversion with fender and nav. I have a second 2015 golf sportwagen with standard audio and no NAV that I will most likely fit the working technisat unit into but will need a GPS antenna retrofitted for CarPlay/Android auto to fully function but audio will work since no amp & subwoofer involved.

Mib-helper, mibsolution, mibwiki and this forum have been fantastic resources but missing some verification information or confirmed results on which firmwares, especially the US variants.

I am committed to making this work and sharing my findings with others in the same scenario.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
1st time posting here but have been digging through for several months. I am currently working on a MIB2 retrofit on a 2015 GTI with fender amp (currently coded as dynaudio) and NAV. I’m on my 4th head unit. I have gotten a technisat unit fully unlocked with CP patch and all but it doesn’t function with MIB1 fender amp. I’ve had a Delphi non-nav unit that brings up sound for a moment but cannot seem to get CP patch to work for Delphi.

Most recently I got a 3Q0035876A that I will attempt the Congo & Duke 3.0 activator on and report with results and what firmware is involved. I will also give details later this week on what didn’t work from the last few head units.

This whole process is difficult to find information for and not well documented for MIB1 to MIB2 conversion with fender and nav. I have a second 2015 golf sportwagen with standard audio and no NAV that I will most likely fit the working technisat unit into but will need a GPS antenna retrofitted for CarPlay/Android auto to fully function but audio will work since no amp & subwoofer involved.

Mib-helper, mibsolution, mibwiki and this forum have been fantastic resources but missing some verification information or confirmed results on which firmwares, especially the US variants.

I am committed to making this work and sharing my findings with others in the same scenario.
I tend to recommend Delphi units for swaps due to the fact that they cover MIB1 to MIB2 swaps regardless of whether Fender is present or not. For cars with Fender, my recommendation has been to try to source a unit out of a car (preferably a Golf variant) that had Fender so that the sound dataset is not a concern.

Hopefully you have no issues with the 3Q0035876A. I will note that if you continue to have sound issues, it is possible that the MIB1 amplifier is failing. From what I have read, it seems the MIB1 amplifiers can have some kind of soldering issue or have chips die.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI

When using Carplay/Android Auto the GPS is done on the phone so no need for the GPS antenna

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
I'm also in the process of removing component protection for my newly installed MIB2 Delphi Standard (non Nav) unit with 0890D. I installed the Congo & Duke successfully. My understanding is the Congo & Duke activator is required to allow scripts to be run from the SD card, i.e. to install the patch(es). Using OBD Eleven I enabled developer mode, then I could go to the Green Engineering Menu where I found Ethernet already enabled under Debugging. At first the IP address (I was expecting 192.168.1.4) was blank but after plugging into the USB port it appeared. Then I followed the "DLink" method to run the commands (including backup, 1st step) for the CP patch. It executed fine however it would not boot at all, even after several attempts holding down the power button for 30 seconds. At this point I thought I had bricked it and realized the 0890D patch (delphibin.ifs) I had found was for 0890D for the "Plus" version and not the Standard that I have. Even though it wouldn't boot I could still connect with Putty so I repeated the CP patch procedure using the backed-up (original delphibin.ifs), to try to restore it to the original state (i.e. boots with CP active) and this was successful fortunately (i.e. recovered). The above was my plan B for CP fix, my plan A was to have the VW Dealer do it (i.e. with ODIS). Near me there are 5 VW Dealerships, none of them had any clue of what component protection was but there was one dealer that said they could do it for $60 (1/3rd of an hour), when I got there (made an appointment) they realized the had quoted me "radio recoding", i.e. I guess that dates back to the old VW radios (like I had in my 1987 Golf MK2), they said they had a technician ("Infotainment Guru") who could do it but even he didn't know about CP deactivation so would have to figure it out, and I would be charged $180 per hour!! Coming back to my Plan B, having been able to recover from the wrong delphibin.ifs once, I decided to give another go, using the file recommended in the above DIY, knowing it was not the matching S/W train as mine. It executed fine but no luck, would not boot. Worse still, the Ethernet no longer worked (Putty) so now I thought I've really bricked it...without the ability to run the commands to revert to original. But, I decided to try adding the delphi.sh file to the SD card (also with original delphibin.ifs), stuck it in the SD slot and did the manual reboot using power button hold. After doing this (and to be honest I don't know why it worked, I was guessing) it was recovered, albeit with CP still active. Today I called my VW mechanic (not the Dealer!) and he's connected me with a local guy who has a lot of experience with the MIB's including CP removal, he charges $125 (CAD) to do it. Hope that works otherwise I guess my Plan C with be to try to find a proven version of software version and delphibin.ifs patche that will work with it. Stay tuned...
CP removal done yesterday, without patches, using my local contact. He can do remotely but does not rent out the tool, he recommends people borrow/rent/buy their own. https://www.modwagen.com/programming.html The patches may not be permanent and don't count on VW Dealerships to help, those are the take-aways I got. One other difference to above DIY for me: I used the recommended connector contacts extraction method for the USB (with Carplay support) port/connector (instead of running the new cable) but the contacts for the power wires (shiny red, shiny black wires) on my 2015 Gold were too large to fit the connector so I had to do some wire splicing.

simrwil

Car(s)
01 & 15 Golf TDI
Yes. That's what I have.
Sorry for my ignorance, does the Delphi standard, non-nav have the GPS receiver built-in (and have the GPS antenna port) and how would I go about activating the wireless Carplay? Does simply connecting the antenna do it? I've only seen references to a USB Carplay wireless adapter device as the solution for adding the wireless Carplay.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Sorry for my ignorance, does the Delphi standard, non-nav have the GPS receiver built-in (and have the GPS antenna port) and how would I go about activating the wireless Carplay? Does simply connecting the antenna do it? I've only seen references to a USB Carplay wireless adapter device as the solution for adding the wireless Carplay.
Yes, it has the port as did my non-nav MIB1.

toa5tmaster

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
CP removal done yesterday, without patches, using my local contact. He can do remotely but does not rent out the tool, he recommends people borrow/rent/buy their own. https://www.modwagen.com/programming.html The patches may not be permanent and don't count on VW Dealerships to help, those are the take-aways I got. One other difference to above DIY for me: I used the recommended connector contacts extraction method for the USB (with Carplay support) port/connector (instead of running the new cable) but the contacts for the power wires (shiny red, shiny black wires) on my 2015 Gold were too large to fit the connector so I had to do some wire splicing.
How does one do remote CP removal? They ship you an OBD port tool they can connect to? I’m just confused on how they would communicate with the vehicle. If there is a way I’m totally interested.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
How does one do remote CP removal? They ship you an OBD port tool they can connect to? I’m just confused on how they would communicate with the vehicle. If there is a way I’m totally interested.
OBD tool (VAS) connected to a laptop via USB with ODIS and TeamViewer (or some other remote control software) installed.

IMG_4041.jpeg