GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Charge pipes thread to end all

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Meh. I spent a lot on neuspeed over sized TMD and discharge kit for when I go BT after is38

Didn't really notice much other than boost was almost too free flowing this winter. When I was catless it would sometimes over boost 1-2psi over target so it definitely frees up boost levels at peak.

TBH I felt about the same gain from my air scoop and grill cut.

Most gain I've ever felt from a bolt on was undoubtedly running a cutout valve. Felt like stage 1-2

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Installed the Unitronic Throttle pipe and Charge pipe last weekend and I feel a difference for sure.
I definitely feel more throttle response, hear the turbo more, and feels quicker up top. I was surprised I was going to be able to notice a difference. Even my girlfriend noticed when I took her for a ride after lol.
Loved the fact that Unitronic used factory mounting points with not modifications, but don’t know why it didn’t come with a new hose to replace the factory throttle body hose.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
OEM charge pipes are 60mm FIY or 2 3/8” in ’Merican
Is that all the way through or at inlet and outlet? Based ion mine sitting in a box I am not so sure they are 60mm all the way through but will have to double check.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
It would be great to know at what point of volume of air do the factory pipes need an upgrade.

This would have to be matched up to the volume of air different turbos flow to see if the upgrade is even needed.

Not an easy deal I am sure.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
It would be great to know at what point of volume of air do the factory pipes need an upgrade.

This would have to be matched up to the volume of air different turbos flow to see if the upgrade is even needed.

Not an easy deal I am sure.

What would the criteria be for determining that an upgrade was needed?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Obviously, it should be more about efficient bends, rather than size... I would think at least. It’s the same as watching water go through a pipe.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is that all the way through or at inlet and outlet? Based ion mine sitting in a box I am not so sure they are 60mm all the way through but will have to double check.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The ends my FMIC kit hooks to (same outlet & inlet every intercooler system would attach at). According to reviews I’ve seen the incorrect size couplers are included in some company’s piping kits (maybe 2.25 to 2.5” reducers?) because people say they’re difficult to get on. In my experience the correct 2 3/8” aka 60mm to 2.5” are extremely expensive because it’s such an odd size. The couplers I provide in my kit are $25 each, and that’s not including the t bolt clamps or anything else

Your guess is as good as anyone’s if the random mess of obscure bends and deformities works out to be a consistent diameter some how lol. But for what it’s worth looking up from those ends it’s a smooth consistent inner bore

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The ends my FMIC kit hooks to (same outlet & inlet every intercooler system would attach at). According to reviews I’ve seen the incorrect size couplers are included in some company’s piping kits (maybe 2.25 to 2.5” reducers?) because people say they’re difficult to get on. In my experience the correct 2 3/8” aka 60mm to 2.5” are extremely expensive because it’s such an odd size. The couplers I provide in my kit are $25 each, and that’s not including the t bolt clamps or anything else

Your guess is as good as anyone’s if the random mess of obscure bends and deformities works out to be a consistent diameter some how lol. But for what it’s worth looking up from those ends it’s a smooth consistent inner bore

I measured mine when I took off. It is absolutely not 2.3 the entire way. The TMD side is like 1.8

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I measured mine when I took off. It is absolutely not 2.3 the entire way. The TMD side is like 1.8

I think changing the outlet pipe is the only worthwhile one to change. The throttle pipe stock isnt that small and the bends looks like it flows pretty good. I could be wrong though.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I think changing the outlet pipe is the only worthwhile one to change. The throttle pipe stock isnt that small and the bends looks like it flows pretty good. I could be wrong though.

Yes you are right. The most gains you will get is with changing out the turbo outlet pipe. It’s a bit restrictive.
Most gains you will see with IS38 turbos and bigger.

The stock throttle pipe should be fine. Maybe it will have an effect on 500+ HP cars... ?!