GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATP Turbo

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Ran into an ATP turbo rep, I think his name was George, last night at Wednesday night drags in Sonoma raceway. Looks like they were doing some baseline runs on a tuned GTI. I picked his brain a little on their plans for our platform and he stated they are going to try to make a bolt-on turbo similar to an IS38 but outperform it by 30% to 40%. I think he said it will be more likely a GTX30. Looking forward to what they come out with.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
That would be great! I believe CTS is working on a GTX kit with ED from what the rumor mill has said. But more options are always better!

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Dang looks like were going to have several Isabel's on steroids. :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Awesome. And their pricing for kits is usually more in line with reality too. Great news.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah this is terrific news. The IS38 isn't expensive and it is a good upgrade, but go big or go home if you are going to bother with swapping IMO.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
CTS has posted pictures of what they are calling a BOSS turbo:

Effectively a custom turbine housing to bolt to our heads with an internal wastegate, and a GTX3071R center/compressor. I've heard 600 (crank) HP is the top end, with spool somewhere in the 3500rpm range I'd guess. Way way bigger than an IS38, this is big turbo territory.

Now using a similar exhaust housing, ATP could put any number of GTX turbos on our motor, which is great, but it still comes down to 2 things:

Tuning, and well...tuning! Bolting a huge turbo to a motor isn't new, but if no tuning companies support the turbos you're going to have a bad time.

Mr.boles

Ready to race!
I'm wondering if CTS is going to release a fueling solution can't see any other way to get those numbers without added fueling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm wondering if CTS is going to release a fueling solution can't see any other way to get those numbers without added fueling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait for it, APR was the first to release an "OEM" addition of the MPI system that the ROW cars have. I would guess within 2 years that 3-4 companies have additional injector setups in that direction, with a companion low pressure pump upgrade. Just a matter of time!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I can't remember off the top of my head, but GTX efficiency ends around a 3.0 PR (you can go higher but probably not worth it). I think usually 400-450whp is about the limit of it realistically. These are all off the top of my head tho.

Injectors I think are good to ~450whp. Should be ok still but if you want to run any e85, it'll definitely need more.. even for a blend possibly but only time will tell.

Spool I believe is closer to 4500 for full boost (comes on around 3500 I think). I personally might lean to just a normal GT3071 vs the GTX. GTX will have better top end, but the efficiency of the GT is slightly better and would have better spool up. Just matters where in the power band you want the power is all and if you want to push the boost higher :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
A GTX3071R can definitely push more than 450whp, I've seen 500+ on a MK6 GTI, on a dyno that isn't fluff. Just by flow rate it should be capable of 550 with all the right bits, fueling included of course.

Here's a map comparison between the GTX3071R and the GT3071R:
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/images/release111110/GTX3071RandGT3071Roverlap.jpg

Slower to spool sure, but with 56lbs of flow, it's got much headroom over the GT30. There are also GTX29 turbos out there that will get you 450hp, if you want better spool characteristics with the GTX compressor.

Either way it all comes down to getting fuel for it, so I'm hoping we see more options there soon.

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
I would love to see something with a 3250 full boost with 450whp capability on stock fueling with room for more. That would be my dream turbo. Especially if priced in the $2500-3000 range.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I would love to see something with a 3250 full boost with 450whp capability on stock fueling with room for more. That would be my dream turbo. Especially if priced in the $2500-3000 range.
Nearly maxed out GTX2971, within a few 100 rpm for boost. Might need W/M. I think our integrated exhaust manifold is pretty efficient for spool as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk