GOLFMKV

New Firestone Indy 500 tire.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Some info.

https://youtu.be/Df4genT9erk

Better

https://youtu.be/gldNk7qP1Pg

The comments I have seen on the Forum are always positive.
Not sure about autocross and life of tire.

Thanks! I actually watched that second link earlier today. Methinks I will be purchasing these, though a couple of buddies are trying to convince me to go with the Hankooks. However the Hankooks have quite a few not-so-pleased reviews, although they do have many more reviews.

The Hankooks are also Max Performance Summer, whereas the Firehawk are Ultra High Performance... isn't Max supposed to be better?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks! I actually watched that second link earlier today. Methinks I will be purchasing these, though a couple of buddies are trying to convince me to go with the Hankooks. However the Hankooks have quite a few not-so-pleased reviews, although they do have many more reviews.

The Hankooks are also Max Performance Summer, whereas the Firehawk are Ultra High Performance... isn't Max supposed to be better?

Look up an RE-11, how is it sold. Which one it is cal will tell you which is higher.
Try the Firestone. Be a trend setter and tell us how it drives.
You can be the test driver! Otherwise known as ------ The Stig!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The Indy 500 is the Bridgestone RE003. Look up RE003 for reference.

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/potenza-adrenalin-re003

I think it is listed as an ultra high performance tire.
This is a good buy. A Bridgestone Potenza tire at Firestone price.
This is often done with top tier tires that are then dropped to a lower tier due to other new tires being released.

The V12's are one step up.
Guess depends on cost.
They both will likely do the trick unless you autocross and need the extra second.
For reference the Bridgestone RE-11 is two steps up from the 500 but twice the cost.
Now the hard part for you. The decision!

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I just went with the Firehawks. I ordered everything today :D I figure they'll be great for me as at some point I'll be getting a dedicated track setup anyway. I've heard mixed on Firehawk vs. V12's and the price difference is pretty negligible. I'll try the Firehawks then maybe the V12's down the road, who knows. All I know is I'm sure I'll be very happy with either!

My very first purchase of wheels/tires. Ever. Tried to make it as informed as possible :)

Should be getting everything put on Wednesday! Will report back. Coming from Potenza S001's at 2/32 currently :rolleyes:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just went with the Firehawks. I ordered everything today :D I figure they'll be great for me as at some point I'll be getting a dedicated track setup anyway. I've heard mixed on Firehawk vs. V12's and the price difference is pretty negligible. I'll try the Firehawks then maybe the V12's down the road, who knows. All I know is I'm sure I'll be very happy with either!

My very first purchase of wheels/tires. Ever. Tried to make it as informed as possible :)

Should be getting everything put on Wednesday! Will report back. Coming from Potenza S001's at 2/32 currently :rolleyes:

Which wheel?
Hope it goes well.
Last year was first set of wheels and summer tires I purchased. Ever.
Looking forward to spring this year again to get back on.
Tons of confidence in high speed turns.

Let us know how it goes.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Indy 500's

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
They look good, that's for sure!

I grabbed the Enkei Ty-5's in Pearl Black... 18x8.5 et 42 wrapped in 245/40/18 Firehawks. The Enkei's are about 21 lbs and I really like the way they look.

I eyeballed lightweight wheels for a while, but they have very limited styling and I don't really like the way they look. I think these will be perfect for me, and when I get a dedicated track setup I'll likely go with 17's and lightweight wheels. These wheels seem to be the best balance of what I want that I could find.

http://enkei.com/shop/tuning/new-ty-5/

Last edited:

kenghk

The Bridgestone and the Firestone are probably made from the same mold and possibly have a similar construction but I doubt they use the same compound. This is why it's cheaper. Sorry, you're not getting the Bridgestones for Firestone money.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The Bridgestone and the Firestone are probably made from the same mold and possibly have a similar construction but I doubt they use the same compound. This is why it's cheaper. Sorry, you're not getting the Bridgestones for Firestone money.

Maybe and depends.
Sometimes when the tire goes down a tier the compound goes with it.
New compounds are always being developed, so what was new in an R003 tire might be old hat now. It is also easier to move the entire package down and only change sidewall mold plate. Tires have to meet different government testing and if compound changed then the tire might have to back thru all the testing. This costs time and money.
A small chance the compound is better than the RE003 as the tire I think was used in Australia and now moved to USA market. Might have to meet different conditions and roads. Chance of this are slim but a chance.

kenghk

Maybe and depends.
Sometimes when the tire goes down a tier the compound goes with it.
New compounds are always being developed, so what was new in an R003 tire might be old hat now. It is also easier to move the entire package down and only change sidewall mold plate. Tires have to meet different government testing and if compound changed then the tire might have to back thru all the testing. This costs time and money.
A small chance the compound is better than the RE003 as the tire I think was used in Australia and now moved to USA market. Might have to meet different conditions and roads. Chance of this are slim but a chance.
They have very different wear rating which let me to believe they are not equal.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
245/40/18

WOW!

245's. Go big.

Must post pics!

Need rear shot of that width.

Should sort of hold in corners. :D

Have seen a few go even bigger with 255's! RJ Racing runs 255/35/18 if I remember correctly but has to adjust camber for them to fit. I'm also not sure if he tracks or auto crosses.

I will be sure to post pics!

I would do some research before stating one way or the other, but it doesn't really matter to me, I've heard nothing but great things about these tires which is why I decided to get them! That, their price, and their smashing good looks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk