GOLFMKV

New Firestone Indy 500 tire.

DAS_STIG

Banned

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Of course they should, I just put 245/45/17 on my Alltrack instead of 225/50/17, huge difference!
Those are great rims. Getting them myself
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread-
I've had the Indy 500s 225/40R18 on stock Austin's on for about 6k miles now and so far i really like them. I did my first track day about a month ago at MSR Cresson just south of Ft. Worth and i think the tires (and car) performed really well considering i'm completely stock and on summer tires.

I'd like to get a bit more traction from the car as i was spinning on corner exit on some of the tighter turns and i'd like more traction through the corners. - With that said>
I am considering getting Neuspeed RSE10 18x18.5 with 245/40R18 Indy 500s (up from the 225 Indy 500s.) Even though the wheel and tires are wider the weight savings at each corner is 3 lbs.
Do y'all think i'd get more corner speed from this wheel/tire setup compared to what i am using now? Or will it not be noticeable?

I'm only doing 2 (3 at most) track days a year and the car is my DD the rest of the time so i'd like to find a combination of looks, performance, and daily usability.

TLDR - will 245/40R18 Indy 500 on Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.5 (weight savings of 3 lbs each corner) give more corner speed/traction than 225 on stock Austins?
Also going with this setup. 17" will clear my 4 piston boxster calipers and 245 with spacers should just clear. Smoother ride on 17s less flats

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

njavier03

Ready to race!
i don't know if any of the original heavy posters are still monitoring this thread, but i'd like to hear how they've held up after a couple years and if your impressions have changed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
i don't know if any of the original heavy posters are still monitoring this thread, but i'd like to hear how they've held up after a couple years and if your impressions have changed.

I’m on my second set and love them. Got 37k on the first set of 225/40-18 and swapped them for fresh 235/40-18 recently (maybe 3-4K ago)

Just did my first track day and need to rotate them. Without any additional camber I wiped 75% of the outside edge off in three 20 min sessions. I’ll probably only do one more track day this year so they’ll still last a good while as most of my driving is commuter miles our hauling my kids around.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
They are great for the price. They withstood many track days and daily driving without melting, which is something to be said for the tires. I actually ran some pretty damn decent times on them at the local track. That being said, I moved to 200TW Hankook RS4’s and they blow the Firehawks away in all aspects but price and longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk