GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, I'm at 33k miles on my 15 gti with 702 T turbo revision. Just got a magnaflow a few days and love it. Would I be safe with a JB1 or JB4?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, I'm at 33k miles on my 15 gti with 702 T turbo revision. Just got a magnaflow a few days and love it. Would I be safe with a JB1 or JB4?

Yes

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Safe as in the JB1 won't cause my turbo to break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no "safe" guarantee with anything, just more of a likelihood with JB1/4 since they are adjustable and not as aggressive out of the box. They also can be removed and sold should you need to do that.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Safe as in the JB1 won't cause my turbo to break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know stock tuned cars and their turbos go also. If there is a flaw or issue with your turbo it might go regardless what tune you get.

Also, If I remember correctly George did say they had a turbo go on one of the cars they had a jb1 installed on way back in the day.

Please don't make broad covering statements, please.

Last edited:

moonluv810

Ready to race!
Hello Folks,

I can chalk myself as one of the lucky ones with exploded turbos. :)

About the car: 2015 GTI 6-speed with November '14 build date, mods: AWE turboback, K&N drop-in, RS7 plugs, JB1 for ~2K miles with very conservative and gradual boost increase, Cobb AP for ~3K miles with Stage 1 maps (Cobb & MAP) and then Freektune. The failure happened while I did data logging for Justin using a second revision map.

This incident happened 3 weeks ago, the car had 20.4K miles at that time. I drive super conservatively on the road, almost hypermile the car, but I've done 5 track days with the last 2 with JB1 and AP. I always warm up the oil before going past 2.5K, change oil twice a year (less than 5K in between), all in all, I baby the car as much as possible.

About the incident.... It was Saturday morning and ambient was still in the fifties. I got 3 clean logs and decided to go for another one. Right in the middle of my fourth pull, I started hearing the "whining" noise from the turbo, but it happened so fast and I couldn't process the noise quick enough to let go off the throttle and shut the car down. I heard a faint pop sound and then the car lost its power. There was no smoke or anything. The engine was still running, but I shut it down fully knowing that it was the turbo.

I got the car towed back to my house and uninstalled the AP. I had other things planned that day and was leaving town for work. I decided to get the car towed to dealer with all other mods still installed. Spoke with a very well knowledgable and informed service advisor and he told me he would try to schedule it in.

I was out of town and got a call from SA on Tuesday confirming it's the turbo. They had the turbo in stock, but needed some hardware items to do the install. Got another call on Thursday and was advised that the tech found metal shavings in the intercooler which they wanted to replace but didn't have one in stock. Fast forward to the next Tuesday, got another call that they got everything replaced. They pulled the plugs and inspected with a borescope and could find any metal particles. I asked them to change the oil anyway.

I got back in town on Friday, 2 weeks after I had the car towed to the dealership, went straight there from the airport and picked up the car. Dealer charged me for the oil change which I was excitedly glad to pay. I have since driven the car for a little over 300 miles since I picked it up and it drives phenomenal. SA stated that although it's not common, they do see turbo failures on early model year cars, 2015-2016. While he can't guarantee the new turbos are bulletproof, he said "supposedly things have been improved".

Wounded...

Brand new snail...

Jamie007

Ready to race!
I might be the first 2017... 2600 miles, APR stage 1, heard a whine, a little later, huge plume of white smoke, engine died, got towed to the stealership a few hours ago. I'll report back...

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I don't get why the JB1 is safe but an apr tune is not. Is it the extra boost of the APR tune?

It's not so much that it's "safer", it's that you can take it right off and it's undetectable, thus you don't have to worry about them finding the tune like you do with any of the ones you flash, like APR. So with JB1/4, you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
JB1 / 4 work with boost levels lower than APR, especially at low revs. In addition to keeping your warranty intact it is safer for that.

LastDragon

Ready to race!
I might be the first 2017... 2600 miles, APR stage 1, heard a whine, a little later, huge plume of white smoke, engine died, got towed to the stealership a few hours ago. I'll report back...

And that's why I'm NEVER tuning this car.... I was alot more confident with my mk6. Sorry to hear about that man, let us know the outcome.