GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cts catback

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think you got your CTS catback installed about the same time as mine, I've had it on for about 2 weeks now and I'm really happy with it because it was all I wanted and the price was right.

I'd been running a modified factory cat back with the valves open for a while, then I had a custom lightweight single muffler exhaust made, but I was never happy with the sound. I chose the CTS because for $850 on sale, shipped, I couldn't find another "featureless" system near that price or have anything built that would look/fit as good.

I will likely add a resonator to my IE downpipe to address the ~3000 rpm drone which is pretty pronounced on the freeway and do something like what you did with the 3" section at the same time. Because California I just need to make sure I can still use a 3"-2.5" adapter to swap back to my OEM DP for smog later.

20190105_130223_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20190105_130229_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Cold Start Video:
https://youtu.be/Ni3gv5kuEu4

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I think you got your CTS catback installed about the same time as mine, I've had it on for about 2 weeks now and I'm really happy with it because it was all I wanted and the price was right.

I'd been running a modified factory cat back with the valves open for a while, then I had a custom lightweight single muffler exhaust made, but I was never happy with the sound. I chose the CTS because for $850 on sale, shipped, I couldn't find another "featureless" system near that price or have anything built that would look/fit as good.

I will likely add a resonator to my IE downpipe to address the ~3000 rpm drone which is pretty pronounced on the freeway and do something like what you did with the 3" section at the same time. Because California I just need to make sure I can still use a 3"-2.5" adapter to swap back to my OEM DP for smog later.

20190105_130223_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20190105_130229_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Cold Start Video:
https://youtu.be/Ni3gv5kuEu4

Looks good! And ya picked the fastest color :)

Completely agree with you, $850 was easily the best price I could find also. Pleased with the system. Not having had it installed with the step down, I’m not sure if this is different, but when running full 3” there’s definitely a booming sort of resonance in that 2500 rpm range, it’s funny it’s lower than on the modified stock system for me, that was 3000ish and tinny very tinny sounding, anyway or when you’re toe’d in going up a hill on the freeway, it “buzzes” the armrest noticeably, so ya might want to do that bullet style extra resonator as the “sleeve” when replacing the step down.

I’m still very pleased, but I really hated how it sounded with the resonator delete, dp, and oem muffler. I’ll take the deap over tinny/ricer style drone any day, but I’m sure another resonator would help with that also.

And a question for ya, did your tips fit without touching? I’m ocd about that. I have about 1/16th space on the drivers side between the 2 but no matter what I do, short of modifying the bracket that ties the 2 tailpipes together, the passenger sides touch, unless I get creative with angling the oval tips, which isn’t the best look imo, I’m just curious if that’s par for the course, them touching, or if my passenger side brackets slightly off, or the tip tweaks in, instead of out, anyway just curious.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Looks good! And ya picked the fastest color :)

Completely agree with you, $850 was easily the best price I could find also. Pleased with the system. Not having had it installed with the step down, I’m not sure if this is different, but when running full 3” there’s definitely a booming sort of resonance in that 2500 rpm range, it’s funny it’s lower than on the modified stock system for me, that was 3000ish and tinny very tinny sounding, anyway or when you’re toe’d in going up a hill on the freeway, it “buzzes” the armrest noticeably, so ya might want to do that bullet style extra resonator as the “sleeve” when replacing the step down.

I’m still very pleased, but I really hated how it sounded with the resonator delete, dp, and oem muffler. I’ll take the deap over tinny/ricer style drone any day, but I’m sure another resonator would help with that also.

And a question for ya, did your tips fit without touching? I’m ocd about that. I have about 1/16th space on the drivers side between the 2 but no matter what I do, short of modifying the bracket that ties the 2 tailpipes together, the passenger sides touch, unless I get creative with angling the oval tips, which isn’t the best look imo, I’m just curious if that’s par for the course, them touching, or if my passenger side brackets slightly off, or the tip tweaks in, instead of out, anyway just curious.

Thanks! The drone/resonance is definitely the worst on the freeway just tipping in on the throttle for a hill like you said. At a constant speed on flat roads I don't hear much exhaust (over loud tires/road noise at least).

Because I need to be able to swap the OEM Downpipe back in for smog eventually I'll probably just have the resonator installed in the IE downpipe. If I had that installed in the step down location I wouldn't be able to do that.

I didn't actually install the system myself, it wasn't happening on the ground, but the shop that installed it got everything lined up pretty well. I don't think the tips are touching each other but I'll have to look a little closer.

azthegame

Ready to race!
These are my exhaust tips. Driver side has a gap between them, passenger side practically touch.

Also, I was about to buy the CTS catback for the sale price of $850, but was able to cancel my order and a guy on facebook sold me his for $475 shipped.

Attachments

• 20190117_000759.jpg
    20190117_000759.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20190117_000807.jpg
    20190117_000807.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 173

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Nice, that’s a good deal!

And yep, that’s exactly how mine are. Bugs me lol. Suppose I could run a skinnier bolt on the passenger side pipes, that ties the bracket together to gain a couple millimeters, not sure if it’d be enough though. Or just swap out the tips, but I really don’t want to spend $200-350 on just tips. I like the slight oval style of cts’s tips, just ocd about them touching, for whatever reason. Currently I just angled them, but not really the biggest fan of the look, like I said a stupid minor issue, I guess it makes my setup unique, currently :)

And nice UB, I actually saw your vid on YouTube before buying while I was in the research phase, sounds good bud!

Attachments

• 69A8AA72-2E21-4626-A0B5-C45518E14FDA.jpeg
    69A8AA72-2E21-4626-A0B5-C45518E14FDA.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Put some sound deadening in the hatch, the leftover over the tunnel underneath the rear seat, basically above or near the resonator. I’ll see if it helps any tomorrow on the freeway, seemed slightly quieter on startup and quick spin around the block, but we’ll see if it actually knocks out any drone.

Attachments

• AC64A43C-C07C-410D-B9B0-DCF7A5D81F50.jpeg
    AC64A43C-C07C-410D-B9B0-DCF7A5D81F50.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 978A9D3B-2DE2-439D-8DDF-546AD264F9B5.jpeg
    978A9D3B-2DE2-439D-8DDF-546AD264F9B5.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 178

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Put some sound deadening in the hatch, the leftover over the tunnel underneath the rear seat, basically above or near the resonator. I’ll see if it helps any tomorrow on the freeway, seemed slightly quieter on startup and quick spin around the block, but we’ll see if it actually knocks out any drone.

I know someone did this a while back and swore that it helped quiet down the drone a good bit. I guess it should. Definitely checking back to see what you thoughts are.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm going to do the same thing in my hatch soon, I'd expect it to help somewhat because the damping material is going to stop the panels from vibrating and keep out a bit of noise, but drone is caused by frequencies reacting inside of a space (volume) and we're not changing either of those things. I'm not expecting night and day difference, but a little reduction would be nice.

Only sure fire method to remove drone is to remove those frequencies, either from adding a resonator to damp many frequencies or a 1/4 wave tube to target just the offending ones. One is...MUCH easier than the other hahaha.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to do the same thing in my hatch soon, I'd expect it to help somewhat because the damping material is going to stop the panels from vibrating and keep out a bit of noise, but drone is caused by frequencies reacting inside of a space (volume) and we're not changing either of those things. I'm not expecting night and day difference, but a little reduction would be nice.

Only sure fire method to remove drone is to remove those frequencies, either from adding a resonator to damp many frequencies or a 1/4 wave tube to target just the offending ones. One is...MUCH easier than the other hahaha.

Supposedly the CLD tiles, not sure why they call them tiles as it comes in a roll but anyway, they are supposed to help with drone more than actual sound dampening, it was thick with a foil imbedded within it, from what I’ve read you only have to cover 25% of a panel to notice gains, anything else is overkill, I went the overkill route, I figured I’d cover the whole hatch just to try it, I’ll let ya guys know if it did anything for in cabin drone at all, I’m not expecting much honestly.

Very true, I was shocked to see the 2 Helmholtz resonators/sound wave tubes in the oem muffler, now I understand why lol

Attachments

• 870C4CE2-F861-48D8-9EBE-222671EBC27D.jpeg
    870C4CE2-F861-48D8-9EBE-222671EBC27D.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Got some good freeway driving in today. So as expected, the sound dampening did very little in regards to any drone. It is quieter, regarding road noise and exhaust noise, other than the drone prone rpm areas. Obviously it keeps whatever panel noise vibrating against one another at bay. Because doing the hatch and under rear seat is so easy on the mk7 I’d say it’s worth it for the minimal gains, especially if you’ve got something buzzing/rattling against one another that’s driving you nuts, but if you’re doing it solely to try to control some drone, your money and effort are better spent elsewhere imo

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Got some good freeway driving in today. So as expected, the sound dampening did very little in regards to any drone. It is quieter, regarding road noise and exhaust noise, other than the drone prone rpm areas. Obviously it keeps whatever panel noise vibrating against one another at bay. Because doing the hatch and under rear seat is so easy on the mk7 I’d say it’s worth it for the minimal gains, especially if you’ve got something buzzing/rattling against one another that’s driving you nuts, but if you’re doing it solely to try to control some drone, your money and effort are better spent elsewhere imo

Thanks for reporting back, like you said minimal effort and no negatives to apply some deadening makes it worthwhile, but it's not a drone killer.

I've always wanted to determine the frequency of the drone in my car and then make a J-bend/Branch 1/4 wave resonator to kill it.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...esonator-or-helmholtz-resonator/129212/page1/

If you get the frequency right, it can drop it's amplitude significantly without changing the exhaust tone like a standard resonator would. Maybe I'll stop talking about it and spec one out then have it added just before the CTS resonator while the 3" section is added at the downpipe fitting.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’m sure that’d work, assuming correct placement and length of tube and all the other variables regarding exactly what frequency range you’d be trying to cancel out. My concern would be space, assuming it has to be placed around where the oem resonator sits on a golf r and then running the capped pipe, you’re quite limited with the driveshaft and 3” pipe already filling up all the space. Good idea for drone bad for packaging especially if you happened to be lowered and running big exhaust.

But very interesting, and I’d be curious to be kept in the loop if you start to tinker!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I’m sure that’d work, assuming correct placement and length of tube and all the other variables regarding exactly what frequency range you’d be trying to cancel out. My concern would be space, assuming it has to be placed around where the oem resonator sits on a golf r and then running the capped pipe, you’re quite limited with the driveshaft and 3” pipe already filling up all the space. Good idea for drone bad for packaging especially if you happened to be lowered and running big exhaust.

But very interesting, and I’d be curious to be kept in the loop if you start to tinker!

I know packaging is not going to be easy, especially with the likely frequency ~100hz would need nearly 3ft of pipe total, but I think a smaller pipe, maybe 2" could fit just fine on the driver side of the DP, with just a little kink toward the end to keep it inline with the DP. Then a 3" clamp hanger can just be slapped on the DP for support. Sure the bigger the pipe the more effective it's going to be, but 2-2.5" is all I'd go.

Not high on my list of mods right now because I just got the exhaust on and I'm happy it's there, but if I do anything even just a standard resonator I'll check back in!