GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MSS Adjustable Street kit-what do you guys think?

funks

Ready to race!
thank you for all your hard work! in the post on the track springs. For each manufacture you have two options. Is the higher spring rate version considered a more hard core version of the track version?

MSS revised the sports spring on the later kits - now 180mm in free length ( instead of 140mm in the early versions ). If you purchased a sports kit and it has rear orange springs dated XX/16 - then you are good.

Hopefully, somebody who purchased the track spec kit recently can take a pic, measure the free length with a ruler, weight, and wire width ( dated XX/16)

Got a pretty good idea on what the track spring rates are though.

Last edited:

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
15k update

So I have been running the Street kit for 15k or so. The first post in this thread details my experience buying a used kit off ebay. Initially I had aome concerns about wear marks but kept the kit anyway. When first fitted the 205mm front spring did not have enough pretension to keeps the bearings and mounts aligned. This has become a known problem with the kit and the solution has been to replace the fronts with a 220mm spring. Original purchasers were provided these u der warranty. I paid $150 for them. This solves the problem but prevents going lower than 10mm +- in front at max drop, which renders the adjuster useless. At max drop my FG measurement is 25 7/8. Ride quality has been great and I have been pleased with the performance attributes of the kit. The standard kit with no Adjustable front probably would have been the better kit.

On to the rear springs. You can see the wear on the rear springs in the first post, and it has continued to get worse. The Street spring are weighted light enough that any adjustment to increase rear height provided minimal movement. Lately, the rears have been riding even lower, relative to the fronts. MSS prescribes that the rears shoulf be adjusted at 5mm higher than the fronts. It was impossible to do even with longer stems provided by Excelerate. Adjusting seemed to just compress the springs further.

I have contemplated just chucking the whole thing, but I am already committed financially. So why not spend more money, right. Based on the research/work of username Funks, I purchased a pair of Swift metric coilover springs. About the same height as the MSS Sport springs. Rated at 280lbs, which is close to the MSS Sport weight. Got some thrust sheets to make adjuatments easier. I am very pleased with results. When I first fitted them I left the adjusters at the same height and it was at least .75” to high. Dropped them down, aided by the the thrust sheets. It’s impossible to adjust them really without these. Sitting at 25 7/8 on front and 26 1/8 in the rear witha full tank. I may need further adjustment once they have settled, but they are perfect at this point. Tighter rear end, better rotation, less body roll, and sqaut and dive is non-existent. Ride quality is the same as before, which is better than stock.

All things considered though, I cannot recommend this product to anyone. This is based on misleading adjustability claims, very high price point, and longevity of the Street Kit rear springs. I love the ride quality and the performance of the kit, but engineering for the MK7 GTI/ Golf R kits is way off and does not deliver claimed adjustability. At this price point everything should be perfectly engineered. It’s not. Unless MSS can explain or illustrate how their kits going forward have changed or been improved I would not buy. Why have an adjuster on the fronts which lets you drop 10mm at max?
I have attempted to purchase the stnadard front springs but it seems they are not available seprately. At one point Excelerate quoted me $350 for a pair of standard front springs, LOL. I went the Swift sprimg route because it was at a better price point on rear springs than MSS, and also I will be damned if if I am going to purchase anything else from them.
Many others have gone down the same rabbit hole, and have had similiar experiences.

But, if you already have the street kit and want to upgrade to the Sport kit this is a viable alternative to purchasing from MSS.

Last edited:

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Wow thats bad to hear. I was contemplating this kit due to the fact that it works with DCC....not back to the drawing board. If anyone knows any brands that are DCC compatible please let me know....

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Wow thats bad to hear. I was contemplating this kit due to the fact that it works with DCC....not back to the drawing board. If anyone knows any brands that are DCC compatible please let me know....

There are a lot of companies that offer lowering springs and state they are compatible with DCC. Unless you get too low or too stiff where the DCC adjustments aren't effective, most springs work just fine, but ride quality is super subjective.

https://www.emdauto.com/collections...olf-r-lowering-spring-kit?variant=22065429511

Are these springs compatible with DCC?

Yes, these springs are compatible with DCC. They pair extremely well with the adjustable dampening, as they maintain the distinct ride characteristics between the different modes.

http://www.neuspeed.com/340/2/0/3156/557009-neuspeed-spring-kit-sport.html

NEUSPEED Sport Springs are compatible with VAG adjustable damping DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control).

This was just one of the few spring sets that were "height adjustable" and that included keeper springs. If you're looking to keep DCC and have some type of adjustment for ride height, the H&R VTF setup is now an option:

http://www.hrsprings.com/pr/detail/hr-vtf-adjustable-lowering-springs-for-volkswagen-golf-r

Cptnjosh beat me to it!

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
So I have been running the Street kit for 15k or so. The first post in this thread details my experience buying a used kit off ebay. Initially I had aome concerns about wear marks but kept the kit anyway. When first fitted the 205mm front spring did not have enough pretension to keeps the bearings and mounts aligned. This has become a known problem with the kit and the solution has been to replace the fronts with a 220mm spring. Original purchasers were provided these u der warranty. I paid $150 for them. This solves the problem but prevents going lower than 10mm +- in front at max drop, which renders the adjuster useless. At max drop my FG measurement is 25 7/8. Ride quality has been great and I have been pleased with the performance attributes of the kit. The standard kit with no Adjustable front probably would have been the better kit.

On to the rear springs. You can see the wear on the rear springs in the first post, and it has continued to get worse. The Street spring are weighted light enough that any adjustment to increase rear height provided minimal movement. Lately, the rears have been riding even lower, relative to the fronts. MSS prescribes that the rears shoulf be adjusted at 5mm higher than the fronts. It was impossible to do even with longer stems provided by Excelerate. Adjusting seemed to just compress the springs further.

I have contemplated just chucking the whole thing, but I am already committed financially. So why not spend more money, right. Based on the research/work of username Funks, I purchased a pair of Swift metric coilover springs. About the same height as the MSS Sport springs. Rated at 280lbs, which is close to the MSS Sport weight. Got some thrust sheets to make adjuatments easier. I am very pleased with results. When I first fitted them I left the adjusters at the same height and it was at least .75” to high. Dropped them down, aided by the the thrust sheets. It’s impossible to adjust them really without these. Sitting at 25 7/8 on front and 26 1/8 in the rear witha full tank. I may need further adjustment once they have settled, but they are perfect at this point. Tighter rear end, better rotation, less body roll, and sqaut and dive is non-existent. Ride quality is the same as before, which is better than stock.

All things considered though, I cannot recommend this product to anyone. This is based on misleading adjustability claims, very high price point, and longevity of the Street Kit rear springs. I love the ride quality and the performance of the kit, but engineering for the MK7 GTI/ Golf R kits is way off and does not deliver claimed adjustability. At this price point everything should be perfectly engineered. It’s not. Unless MSS can explain or illustrate how their kits going forward have changed or been improved I would not buy. Why have an adjuster on the fronts which lets you drop 10mm at max?
I have attempted to purchase the stnadard front springs but it seems they are not available seprately. At one point Excelerate quoted me $350 for a pair of standard front springs, LOL. I went the Swift sprimg route because it was at a better price point on rear springs than MSS, and also I will be damned if if I am going to purchase anything else from them.
Many others have gone down the same rabbit hole, and have had similiar experiences.

But, if you already have the street kit and want to upgrade to the Sport kit this is a viable alternative to purchasing from MSS.

I have a different MSS experience. Email William and express your wish for static front springs. As I recall you’ve always had issues w these springs from the beginning.

Yes they don’t adjust as advertised but at this point I think some simple research shows that it doesn’t help. Standard kit is better, and don’t expect a super low ride. I find it rides great, I’ve received compliments from VWR and APR spring owners.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I have a different MSS experience. Email William and express your wish for static front springs. As I recall you’ve always had issues w these springs from the beginning.

Yes they don’t adjust as advertised but at this point I think some simple research shows that it doesn’t help. Standard kit is better, and don’t expect a super low ride. I find it rides great, I’ve received compliments from VWR and APR spring owners.

For sure it rides great. I am very pleased with ride quality and handling of the kit. That is why I still have them, and yes I have never been totally satisfied with the front spring setup. Mainly because they are expensive and dont really offer what they are advertising in terms of adjustability. I really dont need to go lower, but I also really dont need a useless spacer taking up travel room. It’s more about the idea of offering a fully adjustable suspension kit that does not really adjust for x amount of $.

I emailed William through Excelerate and he replied they do not have static fronts available for purchase seperately. But did offer Track fronts, which are going to be coming out soon, in lieu of the standards. I said OK but I am not sure I want to rock track front springs on my daily.

After the rear streets sagged And the front 205mm spring debacle, I just can’t endorse a $750 product with these kinds of problems.

Bluedoggiant- I am glad you have a good experience with them, amd I agree they ride and handle extremely well. Just looking for a more finished product. Thanks for your input!

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Certainly a common complaint with these.

If it’s not clear to everyone: expect a very modest drop with MSS, if that’s what you want, great. Let’s me run 255/35/18 without rubbing.

Furthermore I think we can conclude that if one were to get these springs, that the standard rear only adjustment kit is better.

I’m sad to hear the rears sagged on yours. Hopefully we don’t hear more about this but nearing 20k on my set with no issues, ride keeps getting better actually, after 10k. Took awhile for the rears.

Hope you can find some static fronts

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
Certainly a common complaint with these.

If it’s not clear to everyone: expect a very modest drop with MSS, if that’s what you want, great. Let’s me run 255/35/18 without rubbing.

Furthermore I think we can conclude that if one were to get these springs, that the standard rear only adjustment kit is better.

I’m sad to hear the rears sagged on yours. Hopefully we don’t hear more about this but nearing 20k on my set with no issues, ride keeps getting better actually, after 10k. Took awhile for the rears.

Hope you can find some static fronts

So the ideal setup is the Standard fronts and Sports rear springs, then? Anybody know how much of a drop the Standard fronts provide?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
So the ideal setup is the Standard fronts and Sports rear springs, then? Anybody know how much of a drop the Standard fronts provide?

10-15mm drop I believe

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Wow! I am super late to this thread. Looks like i checked in June right when my season started.

I guess I can report back now

Yes standard front springs are the best and the sport rear is awesome.

A bit of back story. I've done the past 2 almost 3 years on these springs. My setup is basic

Stnd Front
Sport Rear
H&R 26 RSB
Super Pro End Links

Thats it!

So 2 seasons of tracking, DD, and Time attack. Roughly 22k on the setup and its been awesome.

I think the ride height is amazing and great for pretty much everything. I'll be testing some new springs later from the LS package from MSS. Why? Because I'm going faster and faster so I need to up the responses to match the situations.

So the less DD it sees the more agressive i can start being. I haven't adjusted my springs in about 8 months or so and don't plan to. Its a pretty perfect hight right now.

https://easthoodracing.wixsite.com/easthoodracing

Some photos on the site here.

Putting a set on the alltrack this winter fully adjustable and will report back! Awesome guys to talk to and William certainly loves what he does.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Wow! I am super late to this thread. Looks like i checked in June right when my season started.

I guess I can report back now

Yes standard front springs are the best and the sport rear is awesome.

A bit of back story. I've done the past 2 almost 3 years on these springs. My setup is basic

Stnd Front
Sport Rear
H&R 26 RSB
Super Pro End Links

Thats it!

So 2 seasons of tracking, DD, and Time attack. Roughly 22k on the setup and its been awesome.

I think the ride height is amazing and great for pretty much everything. I'll be testing some new springs later from the LS package from MSS. Why? Because I'm going faster and faster so I need to up the responses to match the situations.

So the less DD it sees the more agressive i can start being. I haven't adjusted my springs in about 8 months or so and don't plan to. Its a pretty perfect hight right now.

https://easthoodracing.wixsite.com/easthoodracing

Some photos on the site here.

Putting a set on the alltrack this winter fully adjustable and will report back! Awesome guys to talk to and William certainly loves what he does.
Glad to hear that your experience has been good on the track. Can you comment if your standard fronts have caused any clucking noises compared with the fully adjustable customers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Glad to hear that your experience has been good on the track. Can you comment if your standard fronts have caused any clucking noises compared with the fully adjustable customers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No clunking whatsoever. Its gotten to the point that I forget my car is lowered. I hop into stock Mk7s and almost scare myself with the body roll differences.

So yea no isses or anything. The biggest issue i had was at one point i had to clean the adjusters because it was so filthy after 2 years of driving + winter. Wasn't an issue I just was checking components and it took more than 5 minutes lol