GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car clutch noise??maybe

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
So I picked my car in March and at about 200 miles I noticed first thing in the morning when selecting reverse when I bring up clutch to biting point I can here a slight knocking what disappears after a couple of seconds and then I can't replicate untill the next day. The car makes no noise reving not in gear and makes noise with clutch up or down. So it only happens the once first thing in the morning and u have to have radio off to hear it. I would of brought to dealers but it's quite faint and only does it the once. It's sounds rotational like about 4 revolution knocks,it does it while not moving and handbrake engaged. Is this a problem??? I can't remember my old car doing it. So far I'm only on 1500 miles.thanks

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
When you try it with handbrake engaged. Does the car move at all? Just want to make sure we are eliminating the possibility of bushings rod ends etc. That way the problem area can be more confidently narrowed down.

My car makes a faint knock (only sometimes though) when I first pull off in the morning with full lock on the steering.

Also does it happen first thing in the morning for you if you use first gear to pull off?

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Car does not move with handbrake on. But does try to move so there is slight movement.but I think once or twice I heard it in first but it's so faint I mean really faint so I'll say u can't hear it in first. Dealer definitely won't hear it in first lol.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Surely you cannot pull away against the handbrake being kept on as it releases automatically unless you hold the handbrake lever in an upwards postion?

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol, I agree - Dealer Solution = Deny there is anything wrong!

I don't know if it would cause your problem but when I change my gearbox oil I noticed it was underfilled and other users on this forum noticed this too.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Car does not move with handbrake on. But does try to move so there is slight movement.but I think once or twice I heard it in first but it's so faint I mean really faint so I'll say u can't hear it in first. Dealer definitely won't hear it in first lol.

Is this the electromechanical parking brake? If so.. it should disable when you try to move off.

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this the electromechanical parking brake? If so.. it should disable when you try to move off.

Yes the handbrake should disable when you try to move off.

What I was suggesting is to force the handbrake on by leaving your belt off for example to see if it still makes the noise - this helps in narrowing down the problem area.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Yes the handbrake should disable when you try to move off.

What I was suggesting is to force the handbrake on by leaving your belt off for example to see if it still makes the noise - this helps in narrowing down the problem area.

I'm sure my car isn't affected by whether driver's belt is fastened but certainly handbrake won't release if the driver's doors is not fully shut as I found out once, thinking the door was fully shut!

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Yes the handbrake disingages as it should.i was physically holding it on to test clutch biting point.anyways I booked it in today and left it at dealership so they can test it on cold start tommorow. And funny enough I wondered if the gearbox oil was low. It does the noise when stationary.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Well spoke to dealer today the tech reckons it's normal to make a noise.i said my last 3 golfs didn't. Well it's noted on the system now.so if it gets worse they can see I reported it