GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel fit

dpskins

Car(s)
VW GTI
I have a 2018 gti with H&R springs , I'm wanting to put on 18x8 et45 with a tire of 235/40/18 with it fit without rubbing or anything ? thanks for your help:)

crashracer

I have a 2018 gti with H&R springs , I'm wanting to put on 18x8 et45 with a tire of 235/40/18 with it fit without rubbing or anything ? thanks for your help:)

I’m using H&R Sports and the had rubbing issues with 235/40/18s on +45 Enkei TS10s. Others here claimed to have no issues for what its worth. No rubbing issues with the stock 225 wheels, so maybe stick to less offset or the 225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It's the tire width that can cause the potential rubbing. Either go with a 225 or do the fender screw mod if you want a 235.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's the tire width that can cause the potential rubbing. Either go with a 225 or do the fender screw mod if you want a 235.
Speaking of the mod, once you tuck in the liner, is there any excessive noise? Or is the liner snug enough once tucked in and won't flap around?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Speaking of the mod, once you tuck in the liner, is there any excessive noise? Or is the liner snug enough once tucked in and won't flap around?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

You remove the screw and basically tuck the liner on top of the metal tab in the fender. There are some diy videos on YouTube.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You remove the screw and basically tuck the liner on top of the metal tab in the fender. There are some diy videos on YouTube.

I got that much. But the question remains: once the liner is tucked away, is it snug enough to not flap and cause additional noise?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
so go with a 18x 8 et 45 tire 225/35/18 or 225/40/18 or 235 need help don’t want any rubing etc

This is what I did today: I searched about this and came across a pretty extensive thread on vwvortex. For the most part you should be fine with the fender screw mod. An et45 offset is only 4mm further out than the stock Austins. Plus 235 adds an additional 5mm compared to 225. So an additional 9mm. I think the tire width is more important than wheel width in this case, so the 8" wheel width should be fine. Diameter wise, with a 235/40/18 you will get an additional 8mm of overall diameter, so the top of your tire will be 4mm closer to the wheel well liner.

I'll be getting my 235/40/18 installed on 18x8 et 45 wheels soon. I am lowered on Neuspeed Sport springs, so I have about a 1"+ drop. Will see how it goes. Statistically speaking given the plethora of opinions and experiences I read about on the forums, it's a fine setup with the fender screw mod, which is not difficult to do. Unless you are going to be throwing the car into 90 degree turns at 60+ mph, I think you should be fine.

Last edited: