GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 questions

joshuaaaa

So my MK7 GTI S is stage 1 with APR and I’m thinking about going stage 2, do I need a cold air intake or should the stock one be good and not mess anything up besides a couple hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Downpipe and clutch (as mentioned). Intercooler upgrade should be considered as well.

Stock intake is fine. Just open up the front air duct with a dremel, remove the snow guard, upgrade to a high flow panel filter. I like the aFe dry filter.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d suggest doing an intercooler upgrade first, as you’re not even making use of all you stage 1 power without one. It’s literally a night and day difference any day over 50-60*F

Then clutch and downpipe as well as at minimum a dog bone mount insert if not all three mounts (I suggest BFI).

I ran the full life of mine, but better tires are always a big upgrade for handling the extra power as well. All of this has been covered several times, but you get a free pass as a welcome to the forums!

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What they said, clutch, inter cooler and down pipe. Now, ask yourself if the slight increase in power is worth all that money? The biggest increase over base is Stage 1, Stage 1 to 2, not so much.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Stg1 to stg2 imo is a massive difference.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
To Niol8r.....taken off of APR website
Stage one over stock is +96 hp and 80+torque
stage two adds over stage one 14hp and 13torque, so massive difference? I don't think so. I speak from experience going from Stage 1 91 tune to Stage 2 on my Alltrack. The HUGE difference in my car came with IS20 swap. So I think if OP is really looking to step it up an IS38 or hybrid turbo would be the ticket but then we run into trying to get the power to the ground with only two drive wheels.
That is the reason I went with Alltrack, it just hooks and goes with over three hundred horsepower and superb winter manners here in Maine. It really does do everything and has the super practicality of a wagon. My dealership Morong VW innFalmouth has at least eight alltracks on the lot including a green over Marrakesh SEL that is gorgeous.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The difference between stage 1 & 2 isn’t impressive looking at peak numbers, but under the curve there’s a wider power band to make use of.

A turbo upgrade is definitely more substantial, but is38 is neither cheap nor reliable especially via APR. (Is38 sucks, apr is expensive)

If the OP wants another 100+ whp reliably a hybrid like EQT or Littco with a pro tune is light years better in every category for slightly less money up front

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What Jake says is absolutely right on. The power under the curve is quite noticeable, the peak increases not so much. "Massive power increase "? No, but definitely noticeable, not like the giant leap from 1to 2. What I Really like about my Stage 2 is the down pipe and turbo muffler delete, the third and fourth gear pull and just the feeling that the power is better. Stock, at 170hp is adequate,,but just.,coming from a 2014 4.0 A8 with 560hp.....the Alltrack is much more practical and suits my lifestyle, the A8 a friggin beast 0-60 in 3.8seconds but I saw expensive maintenance down the road and traded it with 43k on it.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
To reiterate, I went from a jb4 stg1 to a eurodyne stg2 after a downpipe upgrade. Again, the difference was very noticeable and made stock to stg1 seem lame at best.

With that said, I can't compare on an ecu flashed tune stg1 to ecu flashed tune stg2

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk