GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI owner looking tro upgrade to a golf R, questions

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Subaru might get my business again if they get rid of the EJ25.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
What's wrong with the EJ25? It still sounds like a real Subaru with a more open exhaust.

The same can't be said with the FA engines due to its equal length runners on the exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

What's wrong with the EJ25? It still sounds like a real Subaru with a more open exhaust.

The same can't be said with the FA engines due to its equal length runners on the exhaust manifolds.

I've owned 2 STI's, replaced 3 engines due to broken ringlands, and they got 20mpg on the highway.

While UEL headers sound cool, they spool the turbo slower.

FA24 needs to be adapted for the next STI, offer 350 hp and get 28mpg on highway.

Anything less and what's the point?

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
The warranty on 2018-2019 R’s is good reason to get into one over an mk8

I jumped on the 7.5 because:
1. I could get a manual transmission (mk8 isn’t here, so can’t be sure).
2. The warranty is generous (no need to buy more).
3. I was concerned that VW might add more helpful driver’s aids for the Mk8 and/or make them such that they can’t be defeated. I like blind-spot monitoring and RCTA, but don’t want anything else.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I've owned 2 STI's, replaced 3 engines due to broken ringlands, and they got 20mpg on the highway.

FA24 needs to be adapted for the next STI, offer 350 hp and get 28mpg on highway.

28 mpg highway on a STI... If you want an STI with a CVT, since the Outback gets 30 mpg highway with a CVT

28 mpg highway on a STI... If you want an STI with a CVT, since the Outback gets 30 mpg highway with a CVT

Dude, just stop. A Vette and R get around 30 on the highway. 20 mpg isn't acceptable for a 300 hp car in 2019. And the STI doesn't come with a CVT, nor would it suit the car very well.

Outback gets more than 30mpg on highway.

Everything you said is ridiculous.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The warranty on 2018-2019 R’s is good reason to get into one over an mk8

I was ready to replace my Mk6 now and did not want to wait 2-3 years for the Mk8 R to arrive in the US. Also, not liking the removal of all buttons and replacing with touch panels in the Mk8.

Last edited:

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed

You are not alone. I would never buy another STI with that engine.