GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Rebuild Process

pieguy

Ready to race!
Can somebody please highlight the steps needed to upgrade the stock engine and what whp/wtq is provided with each step? Also, possibly the cost and labor hours to do the upgrades? I see the most common upgrade is the IE rods/pistons, but is that all or are there more things required to get past that dreaded 420 wtq limit?

And as far as the DQ250, it's pretty much also limited to about 450wtq as well right?

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
really man? You just want someone to do your work for you? its all on here, just spend the week researching. After your done though, could you share all that hard work with me? I'd really like to know too :)

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
The DQ250 DSG gear box is rated for a max ft. lb of torque @ 295. Many have successfully run more torque. Running 450 is not recommended if you want to keep it together.

pieguy

Ready to race!
really man? You just want someone to do your work for you? its all on here, just spend the week researching. After your done though, could you share all that hard work with me? I'd really like to know too :)

I hate you... I have searched too haha. It's by far the most confusing and least clearly outlined upgrade for MQB. Seems hugely difficult too labor wise and APR's engine program is apparently so slow, it might as well not exist.

I don't think the DQ250 is maxed at 295... Tons of people are running 400+ wtq on their daily. Most of course have it come on slow to keep the engine and trans happy though. I think the safe place that Iroz recommends is 420, but that's more for the engine i believe.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I hate you... I have searched too haha. It's by far the most confusing and least clearly outlined upgrade for MQB. Seems hugely difficult too labor wise and APR's engine program is apparently so slow, it might as well not exist.

I don't think the DQ250 is maxed at 295... Tons of people are running 400+ wtq on their daily. Most of course have it come on slow to keep the engine and trans happy though. I think the safe place that Iroz recommends is 420, but that's more for the engine i believe.

I said it was "rated" at 295, but many people are running 350-375. 450 is a gamble. 420 ft. lb is not recommended for the DQ250 tranny.

If you already know the answer, why are you asking? I would not run over 375 for fear of lots of issues. But hey, if you $7-8K for another tranny, who am I to argue.

pieguy

Ready to race!
I said it was "rated" at 295, but many people are running 350-375. 450 is a gamble. 420 ft. lb is not recommended for the DQ250 tranny.

If you already know the answer, why are you asking? I would not run over 375 for fear of lots of issues. But hey, if you $7-8K for another tranny, who am I to argue.

I am not sure if I should even take this comment seriously or not. GTI's are rated out of the factory at a certain hp/tq but are we still pushing above those ratings fairly safely? My question is asking, based on empirical evidence, what the DQ250 reliably holds with TCU tunes before you have to worry about upgrading the clutch packs, which is something a company is currently working on for around $4k. Almost everybody with a decent tuner on this board is pushing 420wtq, which in itself is slightly ambiguous since dynos vary so heavily. For example: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=672863&postcount=244

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
I am not sure if I should even take this comment seriously or not. GTI's are rated out of the factory at a certain hp/tq but are we still pushing above those ratings fairly safely? My question is asking, based on empirical evidence, what the DQ250 reliably holds with TCU tunes before you have to worry about upgrading the clutch packs, which is something a company is currently working on for around $4k. Almost everybody with a decent tuner on this board is pushing 420wtq, which in itself is slightly ambiguous since dynos vary so heavily. For example: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=672863&postcount=244

If Hank says they're good up to 470wtq I'll take his word for it.

Attachments

• 15345475153100.jpg
    15345475153100.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 795
  • 15345475524790.jpg
    15345475524790.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 784

pieguy

Ready to race!
I don't think almost everybody with a decent tuner is pushing 420wtq.. I would guess maybe 350 average.

Uh what? APR Stage 2 93 is 404 ft-lbs already. I don't consider stage 1 91 ACN to be the board standard, but if you do, that works too.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Maybe I should have clarified my question better. I was asking about what is included in a rebuild, not about doing it myself. I didn't even realize IE did rebuilds with a core swap until you mentioned it but after looking at their web page, I got my answer.

Kind of surprised by this board sometimes. Asking a legit question and getting a generic dumb response seems like something that'd happen on the FB group, not here. Least some topics are still productive like the ED thread.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Maybe I should have clarified my question better. I was asking about what is included in a rebuild, not about doing it myself. I didn't even realize IE did rebuilds with a core swap until you mentioned it but after looking at their web page, I got my answer.

Kind of surprised by this board sometimes. Asking a legit question and getting a generic dumb response seems like something that'd happen on the FB group, not here. Least some topics are still productive like the ED thread.

I talked to my local United Motorsports dealer about ballpark price on a built motor. I want to say he quoted me $7,000 for parts and labor and that included forged rods and pistons. He did say he doesn't like IE pistons or rods because apparently they're manufactured in China and don't have the best quality control compared to American made. I wish I remembered the brand name of pistons and rods that he did like.

Then if I also wanted to port and polish the head and replace the springs and retainers that was an additional $2,000.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Is that $7000 including a core as well? I imagine my local UM dealer will charge about the same then.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Is that $7000 including a core as well? I imagine my local UM dealer will charge about the same then.

No, that was just for building my motor. Definitely seemed on the high side price wise, but they had already built quite a few mqb motors so at least they have experience and a good machine shop.