GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud tick/clicking noise when boosting

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Ok, so this is something that has happened to me a few times now. I'll take the car out, wait for it to heat up to 180F and then I'll push it a little and I get this loud clicking/ticking noise from the engine bay. Its not pining or detonating, it really sounds more like the wastegate or something is clicking loudly.

I will try and grab a audio clip tonight/tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else notices this? You can DEF hear it while in the car, and its not every time I push it. If it happens, it only happens the first time I go into boost. After that time, I don't hear it again for the rest of the time I'm driving.

Anyone had this happen?

Mars1

Ready to race!
Are you tuned or stock? Maybe try adding a couple of gallons of E85 to a full tank of gas and see if it still does it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Ok, so this is something that has happened to me a few times now. I'll take the car out, wait for it to heat up to 180F and then I'll push it a little and I get this loud clicking/ticking noise from the engine bay. Its not pining or detonating, it really sounds more like the wastegate or something is clicking loudly.

I will try and grab a audio clip tonight/tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone else notices this? You can DEF hear it while in the car, and its not every time I push it. If it happens, it only happens the first time I go into boost. After that time, I don't hear it again for the rest of the time I'm driving.

Anyone had this happen?

I can't offer any help, but would love to hear the issue. Hopefully it's nothing serious and we can help you out with diag. The fact it only happens the first time is a good note and should help with figuring it out. Maybe an adaptation just needs to be performed. Do you have access to a scan tool? OBDEleven, or even better VCDS?

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
I'd also be curious to see logs through VCDS, OBDEleven, or the like. I suspect spark plug gap - too wide a gap setting on fresh plugs or older plugs with gradual increase in gap. I found the below video that sheds light on how that might impact a high boost or high load scenario. Also, I see APR is recommending 0.024" gap on Stage 1 products on both 1.8T and 2.0T EA888 Gen3's.

"If you're diagnosing an ignition misfire, the general symptom is that it's a sharp abrupt misfire that happens as boost or load increases and that decreasing load or boost will make the problem go away. So if you're working around it trying to figure out what is wrong with your car, there's a good chance it's ignition related and that you can cure the problem by tightening up the spark plug gap."

https://youtu.be/cJBG2r1a5qg

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Sorry guys, been busy with packing up for a move!

Anyway, here's some answers...

1. I don't know if this is knock, it sounds more like a mechanical tick almost like the wastgate actuator is making a loud clicking sound...

2. I do have VCDS and a COBB AP that I can use to pull logs. I'll do that sometime in the next week to see what can be found.

3. Plugs are brand new and gapped correctly for the engine.

Once I pull some logs I should be able to tell when exactly the issue occurs. I'll post up the logs/findings and hopefully get some input on this one.

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have and had the exact same sound mostly happend when i changed oil for 1st time
Dealer used Motosel API SN SAE 5W40

I changed the oil with Addinol superlight 0540 and the sound is minimized but not gone .... But it is like 1/5 of what is was before

What is the exact issue? I dont know yet but i will pursue its cause
Please let us know if you guys could find any info

It is not knocking at all i used 99ron to make sure if it is knocking

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I just got the ticking noise again the other day. It happened maybe once out of 6 times going WOT. It occurs really randomly and I cant reproduce it at will. I went weeks without hearing it.

Will logging offer any clues even if I cant get the ticking noise to happen? I havent logged my car before so not exactly sure how it works. Can I basically record logs the whole time I’m driving my car so maybe by chance I can capture it if the ticking noise pops up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I just got the ticking noise again the other day. It happened maybe once out of 6 times going WOT. It occurs really randomly and I cant reproduce it at will. I went weeks without hearing it.

Will logging offer any clues even if I cant get the ticking noise to happen? I havent logged my car before so not exactly sure how it works. Can I basically record logs the whole time I’m driving my car so maybe by chance I can capture it if the ticking noise pops up?

JB4 has auto logging above 70% throttle, so you just leave it plugged in via USB or connected to BT and it logs when you go WOT. If you are talking about logging other parameters like misfires, you can do that using OBD11 and it just logs all the time once you pick the parameters you want it to log.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

If you use the JB4 with a laptop, you can start the logging session and just let it run the whole time.

If you use the JB4 mobile app, I noticed that it automatically stops a log after about 10 minutes.

I logged a couple of commutes when I first moved to map 6 to observe IATs, boost levels, and any knock without going WOT.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk