GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catalytic converter error

Wadey1

Hi guys,
First post and all that. Been reading since ordering my gtd early September to keep up to speed but not an avid forum poster.

Hope someone can help.

Considering myself a new lucky owner of a gtd and loving it but 3 weeks in and I'm not without problems.

First the passenger door handle stuck refusing entry. This worked its way loose the same day but was a pain In the backside. Was going to start posting for help at this point but it solved itself.

More seriously this morning my girlfriend gets In the car this morning. Hits the start button, needles fly round and radio fires up but the engine refuses. Car states a problem with the catalytic converter? Girlfriend checks manual etc to no avail. However within the hour the problem sorts itself and fires again. Turn off immediately as by this point we had phoned breakdown assistance. Turn on same problem. Turn off and everything appears to now be fine. Does any one have any experience of this or know what the hell could be going on. It leaves us with the worry that at any moment the car could decide it just can't be bothered to start on us. As a precaution we have turned auto start stop off for time being to just keep the engine ticking. Some people suggest revving the engine or driving harder than normal to try and clear the system out. Today's weather in Suffolk it's pretty horrendous so driving will be gentle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really frustrated to be experiencing problems like this in a brand new car

NickN

Passed Driver's Ed
If definitely showing as 'catalytic converter' problem and not DPF then driving hard or revving won't likely do anything, I would think it could be one of a few possible issues which come under the generic 'catalytic converter problem' and would need a dealer visit to diagnose (or someone with VCDS equipment).
From the symptoms it also doesn't sound like DPF - that normally is just a case of a fault light which will clear after a good run of 15-30 minutes at over 2000 rpm. The random lack of starting indicates something else.