GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To all DSG owners ...

DP03

Ready to race!
What is S and D mode
My DSG is used as Manual shifting 100% of the time
A dsg tune will just burn a few hundred bucks

Strongly disagree. The DSG tune changes both the D and S mode, and makes shifts much crisper in manual mode. Don't knock it before you've tried it.

moksiu1977

Dead serious. The majority of GTI owners use them as daily drivers. If I am going to void a warranty and destroy my gas mileage when gas prices are on the rise it would be nice to know.

Don't give me the 'its not about miles per gallon. its smiles per gallon' nonsense either.

According to the computer I was averaging 30mpg before the tune. At the moment it shows 27mpg. However, I am definitely pushing it a bit harder since the tune. Once I get it out of my system then the mpg will be more “real world” :) Nevertheless, even if it stays around 27mpg I will not complain .

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
Hard crisp shifts do not equal good
I would rather have fast smooth shifts for the best performance
The MDCT has 3 shift hardness modes and would bang bang bang through the gears in sport plus , but the medium sport mode always yielded better results
I have driven both cars back to back
The dsg in the golf is actually quite good factory state
I would much rather spend the 600$+ on a driving clinic course and improve the piece of meat behind the wheel
To each their own
But for a user who uses the paddles manually , the dsg tune is not going to created that big of a difference

moksiu1977

Hard crisp shifts do not equal good
I would rather have fast smooth shifts for the best performance
The MDCT has 3 shift hardness modes and would bang bang bang through the gears in sport plus , but the medium sport mode always yielded better results
I have driven both cars back to back
The dsg in the golf is actually quite good factory state
I would much rather spend the 600$+ on a driving clinic course and improve the piece of meat behind the wheel
To each their own
But for a user who uses the paddles manually , the dsg tune is not going to created that big of a difference

Accordng to Unitronic, TSC s1 tune decreases shifting time by 50%. Based on my experience you can definitely feel the improvement in either mode. Why would one buy DSG to use paddle shifters most of the time is a topic for another post. Factory DSG is good but the tune made it even better.

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
Accordng to Unitronic, TSC s1 tune decreases shifting time by 50%. Based on my experience you can definitely feel the improvement in either mode. Why would one buy DSG to use paddle shifters most of the time is a topic for another post. Factory DSG is good but the tune made it even better.

Again I stated the hardness of the shift is what most perceive as being "crisp"
If it shifts harder chances are you introduce more driveline shock
50% faster shifts is a reduction in 4 milliseconds

Yeah man worth that $600

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I find with the stock TCU tune, there's a delay between tapping the paddle shifters and actually having the DSG shift gears, even when in manual mode and everything in sport.

Shift points are good for daily driving imo. Probably because there's so much stop and go traffic around me. How does the TCU tune change the transmission when driving in stop and go traffic?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I find with the stock TCU tune, there's a delay between tapping the paddle shifters and actually having the DSG shift gears, even when in manual mode and everything in sport.

Shift points are good for daily driving imo. Probably because there's so much stop and go traffic around me. How does the TCU tune change the transmission when driving in stop and go traffic?

It just increases the shift points in D higher so you spend less time lugging and more time with a little boost avail on request. Generally it makes Sport less manic as well, and you can actually drive sporty with it.

moksiu1977

It just increases the shift points in D higher so you spend less time lugging and more time with a little boost avail on request. Generally it makes Sport less manic as well, and you can actually drive sporty with it.

I like that - Sport less manic. Before the tune, DSG would not shift unless you hit red with complete disregard for the power/torque band. Just like you’ve said, now I can actually “drive sporty” with it.
As many stated before: this is how DSG should be like right out of the factory.

moksiu1977

With the tune, delay is very minimal if any. Almost like F1 car ;)

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Let’s also amend the Hard Crisp Shifts are not good part... very true of a automatic transmission with a torque converter. Not the same in a car with a DCT or MT... you want to slip your clutch a tad on every single shift to make the shifts smoot, be my guest, but I want that thing to be off the clutches and locked into a gear as quickly as possible when swapping cogs

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You don't need to slip the clutch to make a seamless shift. It is all in the timing when the clutch engages. And torque converters don't matter in this case as most high performance planetary AT gearboxes (correct me if im wrong as im not into AT cars) locks the torque converter besides 1st gear coming from a stop.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
How has nobody has mention the increased clamping pressure of a DSG tune? That's one of the best features! Allows more torque through the trans without slipping clutches. Also, torque converter are fluid couplers. Most NEVER fully lock up as people think. They have stall speeds where the engine and trans are close to spinning at the same speed. If it were to "lock up" at too low of speed (with much power) it would bend fins in the converter and fail. This is why they ramp up to a stall speed and why slush box transmissions are slower shifting and feel less connected. Most are also unlocked for shifts for the same reason. The torque converter helps the transmission spread the sudden shock over a small amount of time and is why they are generally used in high power applications instead of DCT. Especially if it's a heavy vehicle. Anyway, hope this helps...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
How has nobody has mention the increased clamping pressure of a DSG tune? That's one of the best features! Allows more torque through the trans without slipping clutches. Also, torque converter are fluid couplers. Most NEVER fully lock up as people think. They have stall speeds where the engine and trans are close to spinning at the same speed. If it were to "lock up" at too low of speed (with much power) it would bend fins in the converter and fail. This is why they ramp up to a stall speed and why slush box transmissions are slower shifting and feel less connected. Most are also unlocked for shifts for the same reason. The torque converter helps the transmission spread the sudden shock over a small amount of time and is why they are generally used in high power applications instead of DCT. Especially if it's a heavy vehicle. Anyway, hope this helps...

Not all DSG tunes up the clamping power. Some are strictly for changing shift points. Your info about auto trans is about older ones. Newer ones do fully lock up and shift fast and crisp.