GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Fuel Tank Size on mk7 GTI

greens

Ready to race!
I've never understood the obsession some people have with topping off their cars to the max. Fill it until it stops the first time and be done with it.

What exactly is one accomplishing by doing otherwise and why?

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I've never understood the obsession some people have with topping off their cars to the max. Fill it until it stops the first time and be done with it.

It’s just about measurebating. How many miles could I get from a tank. Different joys for different folks. Some people don’t like redheads. I can’t understand that.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Every vehicle is different and it won't do immediate harm but it definitely shortens the life of the charcoal element in the cainster. There's a vent tube at the top of every filler neck to allow air to rise as the tank is filled, OEM allows for some to enter (there's no avoiding it) but prolonged overfilling will "wear out" the charcoal's absorbtion faster than stopping after the first "click" every time.

Really 40k isn't alot on a modern engine and OEM's are expected for their emmision systems to last a minimum of a 100k so it'll be over-engeneered to an extent (except GM) I just wouldn't continue the practice if you plan to keep it beyond 100k

I don't fill it up to the top of the neck. Probably not even close. The fact it that our tanks hold at least 13.5 gallons not including the neck.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie

Because fill up means filling up your tank. Maybe you like to stop more often to fill your car. I don't. The first stop is often at just over 10 gallons when the gauge is just into the red. That is not a full tank.

greens

Ready to race!
Because fill up means filling up your tank. Maybe you like to stop more often to fill your car. I don't. The first stop is often at just over 10 gallons when the gauge is just into the red. That is not a full tank.

What does that even mean? Are you implying that when the nozzle auto shuts off the first time you've only pumped 10 gallons of gas in to your tank? Then why is it that I'm getting 11.5-12.5, depending on how long I drive past the screen saying 0 miles and the gauge pegged at empty, every single time I fill up?

You realize the time issue balances itself in the end, right? I may stop a few miles before you do but I'm back on the road way sooner than you as well.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
What does that even mean? Are you implying that when the nozzle auto shuts off the first time you've only pumped 10 gallons of gas in to your tank? Then why is it that I'm getting 11.5-12.5, depending on how long I drive past the screen saying 0 miles and the gauge pegged at empty, every single time I fill up?

You realize the time issue balances itself in the end, right? I may stop a few miles before you do but I'm back on the road way sooner than you as well.

You can't equate the extra 30 seconds to put a bit more gas in past the first click to extra stops at non-optimal location gas stations. If you always fill up at a station directly on your commute, I'll buy it. But I basically only fill up at Costco which is not on my commute, and the extra trips to and from the station and waiting in line to fill up is certainly a time sink compared to clicking the pump for an extra minute. I can generally only get 10.5 gallons in when it says I have 10-15 miles left, but 12 if I pump slowly after the click.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Today I was on 0 miles to for a few miles so I stopped at a station I don’t love and put in a perfect 1 gallon. Just enough to get me to a shell. Got back in the car, stayed at 0 miles to go. Just found it illustrative.

MrToad2

Just sold my '07 Mk V and bought a '16 MkVII. The old car would routinely take 13 - 13.5 gal at fill-up while the newer one would only take 10-10.5 gal in common with others on this forum. However the range of both cars is about the same because the avg mpg is about 2-4 mpg greater on the newer one. This is mainly due to the very tall 6th gear. 5th gear on the new one is about the same as 6th on the old. Both w/DSG.

massa89

I drove until it said 0 miles on the screen, and then I drove a couple more miles. I just filled up my tank. I slowed down the filling when it got to around 10 gallons, and I was able to put in 13.5 gallons before it automatically stopped.
I'm just thinking... maybe I should change the gas station. :)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I drove nearly 4 miles after i got 0 mile range in MFD. It took 11.77 gallons of fuel until nozzle shut off.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised at how many people top off and fill up the neck. Is the extra half gallon of gas really worth the risk of damaging your car? You'll flood your vapor recovery system. Its a waste of time, money, and could land you with a potentially costly repair bill

tknj99

Ready to race!
I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised at how many people top off and fill up the neck. Is the extra half gallon of gas really worth the risk of damaging your car? You'll flood your vapor recovery system. Its a waste of time, money, and could land you with a potentially costly repair bill

Not to mention the flipside of how many are driving down to near empty.. i was always told not to go below 1/4-1/8th tank when possible so as not to stress the fuel pump or suck up sediment at the bottom of the tank

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Not to mention the flipside of how many are driving down to near empty.. i was always told not to go below 1/4-1/8th tank when possible so as not to stress the fuel pump or suck up sediment at the bottom of the tank

Same here. I'm really not sure about modern engines and if thats the case, I imagine modern fuel filters do a pretty decent job of cleaning things up, but I still don't like to go far into the red zone

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I believe emptying the tank during every fillup might have detrimental effort. But doing that for one or two fillups over lifetime of the vehicle is going to cause any permanent damage.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Urban myths. 69,000 miles, I don’t worry about the tank getting too low other than running out of gas or of topping off. The the tank will take over 13 gallons with no issues if you are low enough.