GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Installation Cost

tark

I purchased a Neuspeed Catted DP for my 2017 Golf R. I was planning on doing the installation myself, but time is running short with the holidays and I decided to call around to price out the labor cost for an installation. The two shops I called quoted me at US$450 and US$500. This seems pretty high given the nature of the work required. Am I completely off base on this?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
What's the shop rate per hr
Should only take 2.5/3hrs

thegibbs007

Agreed, when NGP does installs for 200. if you buy the APR DP from them. After reading reviews from other members installing themselves and having the DP rattle (specifically in reverse), I decided to go with a trusted local shop.

surfwagon

Ready to race!
The install was not a big deal. Disconnecting the driveshaft was super easy. The worse part was getting the old downpipe out and maneuvering the new one in. Squeaks after the install are easily remedied by rotating the downpipe slightly. If you were in San Diego I'd love to help. Good luck!

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
The install was not a big deal. Disconnecting the driveshaft was super easy. The worse part was getting the old downpipe out and maneuvering the new one in. Squeaks after the install are easily remedied by rotating the downpipe slightly. If you were in San Diego I'd love to help. Good luck!

Going to have to agree with surfwagon install very easy and any noises are easily remedied
But 4/5hrs is a little much

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Just get it done. How much time have you wasted thinking about it? If it starts rattling and squeeking do you really want to mess with it again. Distribution of labor my friend---while they are installing your DP you can be working on something else.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Just get it done. How much time have you wasted thinking about it? If it starts rattling and squeeking do you really want to mess with it again. Distribution of labor my friend---while they are installing your DP you can be working on something else.

When I lived at home, worked part time and had 3 snap-on tool chests worth of tools at my disposal I would have mocked this for not DIYing. Now though, this is my mindset 100% because I don't have the tools, time, or patience it seems haha, and if something is wrong when it's done the shop will remedy.

Time is money, and if I didn't spend money to have installs like this done, I'd never have the time!

Also, I haven't asked for quotes from my shops locally, but 3-4 hours at $100/hr seems about right to me. You've already bought one of the more expensive DPs out there, pay the money and get er done.

Obakong

Ready to race!
When I lived at home, worked part time and had 3 snap-on tool chests worth of tools at my disposal I would have mocked this for not DIYing. Now though, this is my mindset 100% because I don't have the tools, time, or patience it seems haha, and if something is wrong when it's done the shop will remedy.

Time is money, and if I didn't spend money to have installs like this done, I'd never have the time!

Also, I haven't asked for quotes from my shops locally, but 3-4 hours at $100/hr seems about right to me. You've already bought one of the more expensive DPs out there, pay the money and get er done.

My shop did it for 2.5 hours labor.