GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG rough sound in 5/6th gear

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
MK7.5 GTI recently purchased now with 8K miles. Noticeable when under load, even slight load in 5th & 6th gear a rough, almost rattly sound from what I presume is the gearbox. This is very noticeable after about 30 minutes of driving when gearbox/engine is hot. Its almost as though the change down to a lower gear is not happening soon enough

Previous GTI MK7 was far quieter in all areas. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions on this? As I have written previously I feel the 7.5 is far noisier than a 2015 MK7 in many areas.

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
MK7.5 GTI recently purchased now with 8K miles. Noticeable when under load, even slight load in 5th & 6th gear a rough, almost rattly sound from what I presume is the gearbox. This is very noticeable after about 30 minutes of driving when gearbox/engine is hot. Its almost as though the change down to a lower gear is not happening soon enough

Previous GTI MK7 was far quieter in all areas. Anyone else have any ideas or opinions on this? As I have written previously I feel the 7.5 is far noisier than a 2015 MK7 in many areas.

Same with my MK7.5 GTI. When I had the car new, I noticed the noise when I step on the gas pedal while in higher gear but at lower speed in D. But I got DSG tune and it doesn't happen anymore.

If you don't want to get a DSG tune, I've heard to do DSG reset with VCDS and it should be able to fix the issue.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I felt that on my car in D around 35-45 mph. I found out it is the engine lugging a little. The rpm's are too low and gear too high. I just drive in m now

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Same with my MK7.5 GTI. When I had the car new, I noticed the noise when I step on the gas pedal while in higher gear but at lower speed in D. But I got DSG tune and it doesn't happen anymore.

If you don't want to get a DSG tune, I've heard to do DSG reset with VCDS and it should be able to fix the issue.

Thanks for the reply. Its good to read that someone else had the issue. I never noticed it at all on my MK7. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to discuss.

vwgolfmk7problems.uk

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply. Its good to read that someone else had the issue. I never noticed it at all on my MK7. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to discuss.

vwgolfmk7problems.uk

You're welcome. It was bugging me too when I heard it because it sounded like the transmission is broken and the car is "hurting" LOL!

Keep us posted on how the dealer responds to this issue.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I brought mine in for this and they said they took two new 17s out and they did the same thing. 42mph + 6th gear + throttle = grind. Got the DSG tune so it's basically never under 1500 rpm any more, which is where it occurs.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
This happens to my 2015 DSG, its the stupid gearbox changing to a ridiculously high gear way too early. The engine just starts lugging a bit and the transmission becomes rattly. Nothing dangerous about it per se, but I would prefer my engine doesn't lug. Unfortunately the stock DSG tune highly prefers lugging the engine over downshifting a gear or two. Like demi9od said, a DSG tune will fix this and make the car better to drive overall. Honestly a DSG tune should be the first mod people do, followed by any components or ECU tune.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I brought mine in for this and they said they took two new 17s out and they did the same thing. 42mph + 6th gear + throttle = grind. Got the DSG tune so it's basically never under 1500 rpm any more, which is where it occurs.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

This happens to my 2015 DSG, its the stupid gearbox changing to a ridiculously high gear way too early. The engine just starts lugging a bit and the transmission becomes rattly. Nothing dangerous about it per se, but I would prefer my engine doesn't lug. Unfortunately the stock DSG tune highly prefers lugging the engine over downshifting a gear or two. Like demi9od said, a DSG tune will fix this and make the car better to drive overall. Honestly a DSG tune should be the first mod people do, followed by any components or ECU tune.

Same damn thing. Car raced to 6th gear at 45 MPH and then if I gave it some gas, it would lug until it downshifted to 5th.

DSG tune fixed it all :D