GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on motor/transmission mounts?

greypanter

Ready to race!
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. Erwin says you don’t need to drop the subframe if you are able to fit a press and detach the sway bar for clearance. I called a shop to see if they were familiar, but all they would tell me is they charge 4 hours labor. I would pay a shop if the subframe can stay in place.

Right now I’m planning installing the trans and engine mount and seeing how it is with my insert.
I see... Engine and trans mouts are easy. I can do the subframe but really don't wanna spend more money than I have too. Cost of wheel alignment and TTY bolts add it quick. Dropping the subframe, press old mounts out and new mounts in shouldn't take more than an hour and half...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Is it cool to just reuse the bolts for the engine/trans mounts on the 034 mounts? Maybe just the torque specs without the 90 degree turn?

Navi

Autocross Champion
I would replace those bolts. I replaced them all when I did the 034 mounts. Also, the 90 degree turn is for the "stretch" if I remember correctly, so not doing that turn would be even more loose if that was done previously to the bolts. Maybe a 180* turn this time? In my head that makes sense, but I'm also kind of hungover... Correct me if I'm wrong?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I can’t seem to find them on ECS.. it does make sense but I haven’t seen much talk of it in the threads. Kind of dumb that they don’t even come with them to begin with

EDIT: I see them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Installed 034's recently. I can't tell if I'm not used to the feeling or if something isn't right. I installed the Powerflex hybrid puck recently and it literally felt like new suspension, smooth as could be. After the 034's went in, it now feels like I've swapped in a much stiffer suspension, and as if every bump in the road is magnified by 10 and reverberated up through the body. Reading everyone elses posts, it sounds like no one is experiencing this. I'm a little lost. The engine also has that sort of "misfire" vibe when idling with the AC off.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Installed 034's recently. I can't tell if I'm not used to the feeling or if something isn't right. I installed the Powerflex hybrid puck recently and it literally felt like new suspension, smooth as could be. After the 034's went in, it now feels like I've swapped in a much stiffer suspension, and as if every bump in the road is magnified by 10 and reverberated up through the body. Reading everyone elses posts, it sounds like no one is experiencing this. I'm a little lost. The engine also has that sort of "misfire" vibe when idling with the AC off.

I have this same setup in my GTI, along with a RocEuro stabilizer arm. The combo of these mounts did seem to tighten up the chassis slightly, but nothing as dramatic as you describe. The misfire vibe you talk about sounds like the "fish bite" idle that many of us have, and was probably amplified with the mounts. Ever since throwing on the RocEuro arm, I rarely notice the fish bite idle anymore, and the general NVH at idle is decreased by quite a bit and doesn't seem to sacrifice any performance.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I have this same setup in my GTI, along with a RocEuro stabilizer arm. The combo of these mounts did seem to tighten up the chassis slightly, but nothing as dramatic as you describe. The misfire vibe you talk about sounds like the "fish bite" idle that many of us have, and was probably amplified with the mounts. Ever since throwing on the RocEuro arm, I rarely notice the fish bite idle anymore, and the general NVH at idle is decreased by quite a bit and doesn't seem to sacrifice any performance.

Thanks for your second reply. I know you got back to this in another thread but just wanted to see if anyone else had ideas. I still have the stock pendulum arm. It's just weird to me that new mounts would cause this, when the stock arm was doing just fine before. I guess it would make sense to change this. I'm just tired of chasing vibrations with money on this car lol. Any other recommendations for the pendulum mount or is this one pretty solid?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Thinking this might be my issue. [emoji19]

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I'm just tired of chasing vibrations with money on this car lol. Any other recommendations for the pendulum mount or is this one pretty solid?

I was the same way, getting really sick of messing with all the mounts, but have now settled on what works well with minimal NVH. For other options on the pendulum arm, I think there's ECS and APR, but I don't see how they'd make much difference as the design is similar to stock, and I think they're a couple hundred bucks. Otherwise it's VWR with an upper & lower puck replacements (with reported horrible NVH and a subframe removal for the upper puck), or HPA for like $300 (I had major durability problems with their puck and got a refund - great customer service though). The RocEuro is cheap (around $80 or so), and if you go that route just make sure you use the supplied Loctite (I even had to buy extra) and double check the torque on the bolts mounted to the transmission. I gave them an extra 5-10 ft-lbs over the supplied figures, just for good measure, then checked them a few times over the next couple months. One guy had his bolts back out and it ruined his trans case, but it sounds like there is a good chance it was improper installation.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Adjusting the mount to bracket side of the mount seems to have remedied the issue. Still stiff, but a good stiff. I don’t feel pulsating through the body anymore (especially the pedal.) crazy the difference a few mm makes.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Glad you got that figured out BigJerm, the alignment must have been tensioning/binding the mount a bit outside of the regular idle position. Makes sense.

I've got 034 mounts waiting to install now, and I'll probably swap my 034 insert for the new flavor of the week Powerflex hybrid mount around the same time, but I'm having a hard time getting on board with the RocEuro piece. It just seems a little too simple?

With all of the other options out there staying close to the OEM part, and the larger structure of the OEM dog bone part, it just feels odd to replace that with a bent piece of steel with no joint. I'm not a drag racer by any stretch, but I share other's concerns that it puts a lot of stress on only one transmission bolt as well. The results from satisfied customers are tempting, but theres a bit too much "no free lunch" worry on my side.

Last edited:

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Nicely done. Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks, as am I. Ordered the roc euro DTS to see how that guy feels. Figured I might as well change this as it’s the only stock mount left.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Glad you got that figured out BigJerm, the alignment must have been tensioning/binding the mount a bit outside of the regular idle position. Makes sense.

I've got 034 mounts waiting to install now, and I'll probably swap my 034 insert for the new flavor of the week SuperPro hybrid mount around the same time, but I'm having a hard time getting on board with the RocEuro piece. It just seems a little too simple?

With all of the other options out there staying close to the OEM part, and the larger structure of the OEM dog bone part, it just feels odd to replace that with a bent piece of steel with no joint. I'm not a drag racer by any stretch, but I share other's concerns that it puts a lot of stress on only one transmission bolt as well. The results from satisfied customers are tempting, but theres a bit too much "no free lunch" worry on my side.

Must have been. As for the roc euro piece, I agree that some of the reviews make me nervous, but I feel that as long as it’s installed properly it should do the trick. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on the bolts. I’m not much of a launcher myself, but if this improves NVH I’m all for it.

Side note: noticed this when under the car. Anyone know what this rubber is coming out of the seals on the bottom of the trans ? I’ve seen it on other trans cases when I searched for photos but I was curious. Is it a gasket , and if so is this normal?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Must have been. As for the roc euro piece, I agree that some of the reviews make me nervous, but I feel that as long as it’s installed properly it should do the trick. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on the bolts. I’m not much of a launcher myself, but if this improves NVH I’m all for it.

Side note: noticed this when under the car. Anyone know what this rubber is coming out of the seals on the bottom of the trans ? I’ve seen it on other trans cases when I searched for photos but I was curious. Is it a gasket , and if so is this normal?

Let us know what you think, I'll probably just hold off on the part unless the NVH drives me completely crazy. That's one step further on the dogbone insert with the Powerflex, since you remove the lower puck. Not as simple to just go back at that point.

I'm pretty sure that is just the trans sealant on the case when it's assembled. Just some excess that squished out, but everything looks dry otherwise.