GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PA emission testing

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
That's exactly what I said the "test pipe" file patches the O2 code where the non-test pipe file does not.

No, you're not understanding. Even with a high flow cat with a "test pipe" file, it still messes with the emissions readiness.

If you want a APR tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness, that's stage 1 (or APR plus).

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
No I understand completely.... you just need to learn to read.

Let me clarify even further... you can use either a non- test pipe file or a test pipe file with either catted or noncatted downpipes.

Using the "test pipe" file on either catted or non catted downpipes will code the O2 sensor off regardless of what type of DP you are using. The tune does not magically know what type of DP you're using (software vs hardware).

If you don't want the O2 sensor coded off you must ask your installer to flash the "non-test pipe" file indicating either you have a cat sufficient in quality to not throw a CEL or a spacer/de-fouler in combination with either a high flow catted DP or a catless DP.

APR's stage 1 you are correct does not code the O2 out but its also not optimized for a DP. If you're running a DP and want all readiness sensors active (to pass emissions) and want the extra power from the stage 2 tune you need to ask your installed to request the stage 2 non-test pipe file so they don't turn off the O2 sensor as the standard Stage 2 file is the test pipe file.

Keep in mind each tuner is a little different as to what they consider stages for example Cobb's OTS stage 3 seems to be their DP file. So the information above is mainly for APR.

FWIW I've been in the VW game for well over 10 yrs so I kinda have a little experience with various tuners. APR, UM, JB1, Uni just to name a few.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I've seen these different test pipe and non-test pipe files on my APR dealer's laptop. They definitely exist.

No I understand completely.... you just need to learn to read.

Let me clarify even further... you can use either a non- test pipe file or a test pipe file with either catted or noncatted downpipes.

Using the "test pipe" file on either catted or non catted downpipes will code the O2 sensor off regardless of what type of DP you are using. The tune does not magically know what type of DP you're using (software vs hardware).

If you don't want the O2 sensor coded off you must ask your installer to flash the "non-test pipe" file indicating either you have a cat sufficient in quality to not throw a CEL or a spacer/de-fouler in combination with either a high flow catted DP or a catless DP.

APR's stage 1 you are correct does not code the O2 out but its also not optimized for a DP. If you're running a DP and want all readiness sensors active (to pass emissions) and want the extra power from the stage 2 tune you need to ask your installed to request the stage 2 non-test pipe file so they don't turn off the O2 sensor as the standard Stage 2 file is the test pipe file.

Keep in mind each tuner is a little different as to what they consider stages for example Cobb's OTS stage 3 seems to be their DP file. So the information above is mainly for APR.

FWIW I've been in the VW game for well over 10 yrs so I kinda have a little experience with various tuners. APR, UM, JB1, Uni just to name a few.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've seen these different test pipe and non-test pipe files on my APR dealer's laptop. They definitely exist.

Yeah I've obviously seen them as well, I've found some installers automatically install the "test pipe" file as standard just because it obviously is not going to throw a CEL. Granted depending on which state you live in and what their emissions standards are you can run into issues down the line. There's a fair amount of states that allow one readiness sensor to be not set and still pass so those aren't a problem.

For the other states that need them all to pass readiness it poses an issue if you don't live local you your installer. Easier to just flash the non-test pipe file and get a good spacer/defouler setup. It may require some fiddling to get the spacer setup just right but once it's done you're good to go.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Any idea if the O2 sensor after the cat can be accessed from the engine bay without lifting the car? I think my next step after my IC install is the DP. I'm hoping I can mess with the O2 sensor spacer from the engine bay. I haven't tried to look for the 2nd sensor yet.

EDIT: I'm looking at getting a IE Downpipe so the cat would be close to the OEM location.

Yeah I've obviously seen them as well, I've found some installers automatically install the "test pipe" file as standard just because it obviously is not going to throw a CEL. Granted depending on which state you live in and what their emissions standards are you can run into issues down the line. There's a fair amount of states that allow one readiness sensor to be not set and still pass so those aren't a problem.

For the other states that need them all to pass readiness it poses an issue if you don't live local you your installer. Easier to just flash the non-test pipe file and get a good spacer/defouler setup. It may require some fiddling to get the spacer setup just right but once it's done you're good to go.

Last edited:

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
It is accessible, but you def need to work around the turbo/DP. I've done it using an o2 sensor socket on a wobble/universal joint with I think an 8" or 10" socket extension. Wasn't easy but it worked... this was after a liberal application of penetrating lubricant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It is accessible, but you def need to work around the turbo/DP. I've done it using an o2 sensor socket on a wobble/universal joint with I think an 8" or 10" socket extension. Wasn't easy but it worked... this was after a liberal application of penetrating lubricant.

Good to know it's possible. I don't have a garage to work in so lifting the car is not really a good option. I don't mind getting and using the right tools to make things possible/easier.

I'm going to hope the first spacer setup I put in works and all will be good in the world. Non test pipe file of course. ;)

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I ended up using a vibrant j spacer with the medium insert on my eurocode DP. Works perfectly, but your mileage may vary.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I ended up using a vibrant j spacer with the medium insert on my eurocode DP. Works perfectly, but your mileage may vary.

For me it's a toss up between the J spacer and the UroTuning spacer. My concern was clearance for the J spacer. Is the eurocode catted?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Yeah but the cat is under the car just after the subframe, granted it has the o2 sensor almost in the same spot as the factory one.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
No, you're not understanding. Even with a high flow cat with a "test pipe" file, it still messes with the emissions readiness.

If you want a APR tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness, that's stage 1 (or APR plus).

I have an IS38, APR catted DP and an APR tune for the IS38 and the secondary O2 sensor still works without a problem and passes PA emissions without a problem.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I have a 42DD spacer and catless DP, my CEL has come on I believe 4 times-maybe 5- since installed almost 13k miles ago. I did scan my car before taking it in to make sure I didnt have any pending codes, which I didnt, and had no problems with inspection.