GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door latch sticking / hard to pull handle open?

Mayong

Anyone else experiencing this?

About 6 months ago my front passenger door started needing much more force to release the latch when pulling on the handle before it "pops" open. It feels like the latch mechanism is stuck and needs lubrication. Now my driver's door is behaving the same way.

Car is definitely unlocked and no KESSY. You guys ever clean/grease the door latch points?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
When i had the same issue and complained to dealership they just lubed/greased it up and it was back to normal. Happening again now.

Anyone know the correct tube of stuff to buy to grease it myself?

erikweber321

Ready to race!
The metal wire stretches out. BMW has an adjustment nut on their doors for this exactly. Not sure about VW.

That being said, this just started happening to mine 15gti. I know exactly what's causing it but haven't looked into it yet.

If vw does have it, there'll be a little hole on the edge of the door metal panel adjacent to the B pillar covered by a rubber/plastic grommet. Pop the cover off and insert screwdriver and adjust tighter to make door handle activation force less. Go check for us!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I had this happen a couple of times on my driver's door. A little lubricant into the latch mechanism on the door, where the striker catches, and operate the catch with the handle and a screwdriver to replicate the striker should clear it up.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I had this happen a couple of times on my driver's door. A little lubricant into the latch mechanism on the door, where the striker catches, and operate the catch with the handle and a screwdriver to replicate the striker should clear it up.

Which type of lubricant should i use? New to this and don't have any in the toolbox..

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Which type of lubricant should i use? New to this and don't have any in the toolbox..

Traditionally you could use some basic/all-purpose white lithium grease spray, which is effective but kind of messy. I use some LPS 2 spray lubricant when this comes up every now and again. This also isn't the first car I've had that needed it once in a while.

If you're not familiar with how the latch works (the latch in the door rotates to catch and hold the striker) I recommend seeing some youtube videos before getting into it. It's simple, robust stuff that you're not likely to harm, but basically don't force anything.