GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The sun roof would have tipped me off

cb1111

Okay I agree with a lot of what you say here now that there is another side that I somehow missed. However right below your post CB1111 just stated it was the stupid federal govt that has forced the issue after the fact so VW had every legal right to sell the cars so again no it’s not VW’s fault but again no it’s not the plaintiffs fault either. So yes the plaintiff should be made whole for atleast what he paid for his R or be given a new 2019 R since I believe he was the first owner?...not going to go back and reread all the nonsense...lol.. but the federal govt basically screwed both parties but unfortunately VW will be the one that will have to make the guy whole but that’s it! Not that it makes any difference but does anyone actually know why these cars don’t meet compliance??
You need to spend a bit of time reading because you missed quite a bit.

VW was required to export or crush the cars. They were not allowed to sell the cars and by doing so they violated several Federal laws.

And the problem IS that nobody (including VW) knows why these cars don't meet compliance.
So it’s the governments fault for enforcing a law that VW violated?
Apparently everything is the fault of the government

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Okay I agree with a lot of what you say here now that there is another side that I somehow missed. However right below your post CB1111 just stated it was the stupid federal govt that has forced the issue after the fact so VW had every legal right to sell the cars so again no it’s not VW’s fault but again no it’s not the plaintiffs fault either. So yes the plaintiff should be made whole for atleast what he paid for his R or be given a new 2019 R since I believe he was the first owner?...not going to go back and reread all the nonsense...lol.. but the federal govt basically screwed both parties but unfortunately VW will be the one that will have to make the guy whole but that’s it! Not that it makes any difference but does anyone actually know why these cars don’t meet compliance??

To make it clear, VW sold their pre production aka development vehicle as a CPO vehicle to the buyer. Those vehicles are suppose to be crushed after development and not to be sold to the public. VW committed fraud by selling these as used vehicles and they are facing lawsuits here and in Europe. What has this to do anything with Federal government?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The Federal government has forced VW to recall the vehicles. Because they cannot be brought into compliance, the cars cannot be registered or sold. The registration on the cars becomes invalid at the time when the deadline given by NHTSA runs out.

The owner has little choice as he will soon have a car that he has to take the plates off and will have canceled insurance.

NHTSA has mandated that the cars are bought back and exported or destroyed. They did not specify a price or a formula for determining value.

Owners almost have to get a lawyer.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess exporting to Mexico and reimporting in 25 years as a preproduction one of a kind unicorn and selling at 200k is not realistic? :eek:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well maybe. Is that 200K rubles or cookies or what?

I'll take 200k cookies. Sell them for $5 a cookie like great American cookie.

Rockstar08

Ready to race!
To make it clear, VW sold their pre production aka development vehicle as a CPO vehicle to the buyer. Those vehicles are suppose to be crushed after development and not to be sold to the public. VW committed fraud by selling these as used vehicles and they are facing lawsuits here and in Europe. What has this to do anything with Federal government?

Ok I got it now guess I do need to read more...lol...and I still bet there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car and will pass any test thrown at it but just because it was a test car and sold as CPO because some stupid federal law that was made up somewhere the car can’t be sold..lol... still a little surprised that VW would have sold the cars knowing this law was in place but I guess it’s their MO...lol.. so with that information then I will bet the judge will absolutely make the guy whole again which means he gets back every single dime he paid for the car including sales tax and fees. Still not a bad deal the guy will have been able to drive a unique R model with a sunroof for 3 years and then get all his money back sure wish I had bought one...lol

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Ok I got it now guess I do need to read more...lol...and I still bet there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car and will pass any test thrown at it but just because it was a test car and sold as CPO because some stupid federal law that was made up somewhere the car can’t be sold..lol... still a little surprised that VW would have sold the cars knowing this law was in place but I guess it’s their MO...lol.. so with that information then I will bet the judge will absolutely make the guy whole again which means he gets back every single dime he paid for the car including sales tax and fees. Still not a bad deal the guy will have been able to drive a unique R model with a sunroof for 3 years and then get all his money back sure wish I had bought one...lol

Why would he get every single dime back? He still drove the car, and it depreciated, for years.

I agree NADA "clean trade" is way too low, but I think some of the alternatives being proposed here are kind of absurd.

True market value--ie what it would cost to get a similar condition/mileage/age car--is reasonable, plus a little something to offset any additional charges for a purchase that the owners otherwise wouldn't have incurred.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Attaching the recall letter if you didn have a look at it and below are the main takeaways.
- Possible mods done during internal evaluation maybe incomplete.
- Vehicle has increased risk of crash, fire and injury.
- Vehicle cannot be repaired.

VW did sell this vehicle knowing the fact that they dont meet regulatory requirements and thats why its a big deal.

cb1111

Should we schedule the car for a crash test?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Should we schedule the car for a crash test?

I think that's exactly what they should do with all these.

At least it would be entertaining and stop the chatter on both sides about whether they will have a Teslaesque ending or just a normal Golf crash test

cb1111

I think that's exactly what they should do with all these.

At least it would be entertaining and stop the chatter on both sides about whether they will have a Teslaesque ending or just a normal Golf crash test
You mean if it goes up in flames and burns the crash test dummies to a crisp or if it just protects the passengers and driver in traditional Golf style?

On a more serious note, the fact that this car has a moonroof (technically it IS a moonroof and not a sunroof - a sunroof if metal while a moonroof is glass) means that it has not been crash tested. In addition, it is unlikely that these cars meet EPA emission standards.