GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment or the price of lowering??

BrandonB00

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a good 40k miles out of these stock tires but just wondered if the wear is an alignment issue or just the price you pay for having lowering springs. (Emmanuelle Designs) and flush spacer kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
How low are those springs? You're definitely way out of alignment on camber, but whether or not it can be corrected will depend on how low you are. Did you ever get it aligned after lowering?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Did you get alignment after you got the car lowered? I just rotated my tires at ~9k...and my tire wear looks pretty even.

I've been at this ride height since 1k.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
An alignment is required after installing springs or swapping to coilovers and setting the ride height.

You're saying you did that much mileage without aligning the car after you lowered it? I'm surprised your tires aren't more fucked. You've got pretty bad camber and toe wear.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Is the fender liner all torn up?

Looks like it's rubbing pretty badly cause it is worn to the cords on the inside and the outside is still looking decent.

BrandonB00

Passed Driver's Ed
I had it aligned after lowering but to be honest I didn’t rotate as often as I should. I’m not sure if these were fronts or rears. I took them off the front but had it serviced by a local shop a week ago and I hadn’t checked to see if they rotated them. They were the ones that let me know how fucked they were. I just put new tires on but would def like to avoid this again if possible. I’ll get it aligned especially since now you guys are saying that it shouldn’t have happened at all like that

BrandonB00

Passed Driver's Ed
The springs are just a mild drop designed for daily driving. I’ve had them on since about 400 miles so they’ve been on there for 40k miles

SRoads

Ready to race!
Looks like wear from too much toe in. Don't pay for an alignment until after you put a set of fresh tires on or your wasting your money. You should get new ones ASAP, you are asking for a flat or blowout soon with chord showing, not to mention a hazard to everyone else around you.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Looks like wear from too much toe in. Don't pay for an alignment until after you put a set of fresh tires on or your wasting your money. You should get new ones ASAP, you are asking for a flat or blowout soon with chord showing, not to mention a hazard to everyone else around you.

I agree with all of this. It definitely looks like a toe issue and not a camber issue as someone else stated. Not doing rotations as often as recommended will only increase the rate at which your tires will wear in the front, since you're not changing which tires are pulling and steering the car. A rotation will not change the pattern wear on your tires.

Since you stated you had the car aligned after being lowered, and still have this toe issue you might want to look into another shop to do an alignment.

BrandonB00

Passed Driver's Ed

Oh yeah I just put tires on it yesterday

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Ok so just got another alignment today after swapping my noisy FR mount/bearing. Camber on the FR was -1.4 degrees which is obviously out of spec. LR was only 1 degree.

Why is one side off but not the other? Worries me that its the side I worked on but was super careful, replaced every nut/bolt, and torqued everything to spec.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Don't want my pricey pilot sport 4S tires to wear uneven....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok so just got another alignment today after swapping my noisy FR mount/bearing. Camber on the FR was -1.4 degrees which is obviously out of spec. LR was only 1 degree.

Why is one side off but not the other? Worries me that its the side I worked on but was super careful, replaced every nut/bolt, and torqued everything to spec.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Don't want my pricey pilot sport 4S tires to wear uneven....

Camber & caster up front aren’t adjustable, but that’s not what generally kills tires. Toe being in spec is more important, that’s what wore the OPs OEM tires and it is adjustable (tie rods)

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Camber & caster up front aren’t adjustable, but that’s not what generally kills tires. Toe being in spec is more important, that’s what wore the OPs OEM tires and it is adjustable (tie rods)

Thanks, was just suprised that it was that off from the other side. Luckily everything else is now good to go.