GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer-performed oil changes - important for resale/waranty?

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
My GTI has 92xx miles on it now, and the time is coming to take advantage of the first of my three "free" oil changes included by my dealer, who is around forty miles from home. In fact I've already changed the oil twice -- once at 3000 or so miles and again at just over 8000 -- and I don't mind the time or expense of doing it again and not spending a Saturday in the admittedly charming waiting room of the VW dealer. I also have access to a lift so I can do the tire rotation in a few minutes.

My concern, though, is not having the 10k service "on record" both from a warranty standpoint as well as resale / CarFax. How important is it to have the dealer do the work from those points of view?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I would get the minimum recommended services done at a dealer during the 3/36 warranty period. Don't let them try and sell you "extras" like they will try. It helps resale and it can help if you have a repair outside the warranty period. Also keep all documentation (receipts, etc) for maintenance you do yourself outside the recommended services for the same reasons as above.

However things like cabin filter, light bulbs that burn out, etc don't have to be "on record" at the dealer, just keep track based on date/mileage records.

Renck

Ready to race!
I would get the minimum recommended services done at a dealer during the 3/36 warranty period. Don't let them try and sell you "extras" like they will try. It helps resale and it can help if you have a repair outside the warranty period. Also keep all documentation (receipts, etc) for maintenance you do yourself outside the recommended services for the same reasons as above.

However things like cabin filter, light bulbs that burn out, etc don't have to be "on record" at the dealer, just keep track based on date/mileage records.

This ^^^^^^

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'll check with my available service advisers, but I don't think I'll be bringing it in with all my aftermarket stuff installed, and it's not worth it to remove the obvious stuff just for an oil change I can do myself in 15 minutes.

Renck

Ready to race!
Won't do much for resale value, its a Golf, not an exotic.

Wait! OP is asking about resale/warranty and not about resale value. For resale: it helps to be able to show to a potential buyer that all mandatory services were performed by a VW technician (some folks care about that).

For warranty: well, good luck trying to claim a VW warranty without records of those services completed at the car.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
Wait! OP is asking about resale/warranty and not about resale value. For resale: it helps to be able to show to a potential buyer that all mandatory services were performed by a VW technician (some folks care about that).

For warranty: well, good luck trying to claim a VW warranty without records of those services completed at the car.

For resale I’ve never had anyone care about if the service was done by the OEM or not. More important to have good records and keep the car in overall good condition.

For warranty: lol what? If you do all necessary maintenance yourself, you just need to keep records of what you did. Receipts; etc. Pretty easy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Won't do much for resale value, its a Golf, not an exotic.

Doesn't matter...........if I am considering a car with zero proof of maintenance or poorly documented proof, I'm not going to buy the car. Anyone who has driven VW's for awhile knows how important regular maintenance is in the long run. Won't affect your trade much, but it's ludacris to think it won't affect a private sale.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Ya for warranty, just need to record mileage and save receipts. Not rocket science. Most of the stuff outside of the DSG service most of us can do pretty easily. Heck with an extractor, oil changes are the easiest I've ever dealt with.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
resale on GTI's is a buyers market, home oil changes probably aren't going to effect sale price at all

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
Doesn't matter...........if I am considering a car with zero proof of maintenance or poorly documented proof, I'm not going to buy the car. Anyone who has driven VW's for awhile knows how important regular maintenance is in the long run. Won't affect your trade much, but it's ludacris to think it won't affect a private sale.

Why would it matter if the OP has receipts of all the maintenance he did himself? Shit I’d appreciate a car more that someone took the time to maintain themselves than have some 21 year old getting paid $15/hour to fuck up a simple oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Missed that part of the OP's post.

You can tell if a car has been maintained or not, but I get your point.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
When I traded in my 06 GLI I provided a folder of all the maintenance work that I had done on the car. They handed it back and said "nobody cares about keeping records like this anymore"