GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
Guys, i found got some cheap 225/45/18s for my Austin's and i am lowered on ED springs. The tires are blizzak ws80s for winter wheels how screwed am I? Will the screw mod help?

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched, but come up empty.

I'm on VMR springs, and I have my eyes on a set of 19x8.5 et40 wheels.

Would I be able to run these without rubbing, or modifying my fenders? I don't mind doing the screw mod. I would just rather not run a bunch of camber, or pull my fenders if possible.

Also, can anyone recommend any nice simple 5 spoke rims? I'm looking at Vossen CV3s, and Niche Milans. Thanks.

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched, but come up empty.

I'm on VMR springs, and I have my eyes on a set of 19x8.5 et40 wheels.

Would I be able to run these without rubbing, or modifying my fenders? I don't mind doing the screw mod. I would just rather not run a bunch of camber, or pull my fenders if possible.

Also, can anyone recommend any nice simple 5 spoke rims? I'm looking at Vossen CV3s, and Niche Milans. Thanks.

I am sure you will rub with et40.

I am on 19x8.5 et45 with 235/35/19 Kumho PS91 on stock suspension currently and I rubbed once when I went over a big dip while driving on a bridge. No fender screw mod.

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
I am sure you will rub with et40.

I am on 19x8.5 et45 with 235/35/19 Kumho PS91 on stock suspension currently and I rubbed once when I went over a big dip while driving on a bridge. No fender screw mod.

Thank you for the reply.
I ended up getting a set of Niche Milan's in 19x8.5 et42, and some 135/35r19 Indy 500's. I plan on doing the fender screw mod, and I guess I'll go from there.

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the reply.
I ended up getting a set of Niche Milan's in 19x8.5 et42, and some 135/35r19 Indy 500's. I plan on doing the fender screw mod, and I guess I'll go from there.

Sorry to keep spamming this thread, but I think I may be ok with my 19x8.5 et42 setup. www.willtheyfit.com says that I'll be poking 4.7mm more (at the face of the rim) than I was running stock wheels with 15mm spacers. Going with a 235/35 tire actually pulls the outer edge of the rubber back into the wheel well slightly. The screenshot below shows the stock wheel with a 15mm spacer compared to my new setup. It says that the new wheel will have an inner rim which is 20.7mm closer to the suspension strut, but it's comparing the setup with my 15mm spacer installed. So, it'll only be 5.7mm closer than stock.

Wish me luck, and I'll post updates once I get everything installed.

PS. I just realized that this thread is in the R section of the forums. I drive a MK7 GTI (the thread showed up in a Google search). I hope this isn't a problem.

Attachments

• 225-40r18et34 vs 235-35r19et42.jpg
    225-40r18et34 vs 235-35r19et42.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,296

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Saw a set of 17x9s ET50 with 255/40/17 tires on them... curious if this is too close to the struts. Any ideas?

I think you’re going to need a spacer to give yourself enough room by the strut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Saw a set of 17x9s ET50 with 255/40/17 tires on them... curious if this is too close to the struts. Any ideas?

Depending on the rim construction, it might just clear but if there is any "lip" that sticks out from the rim it's going to need 5-10mm spacers. You might want that anyway since ET50 on a 9" isn't exactly poking.

teemmy

Ready to race!
hrm... thanks for the input guys! I never realized this, but enkei makes the rs05rrs in 18x9.5 +45... seriously tempted. Anyone have luck with this rim size?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
hrm... thanks for the input guys! I never realized this, but enkei makes the rs05rrs in 18x9.5 +45... seriously tempted. Anyone have luck with this rim size?

It's an extra 10mm poke over a flush kit and 20mm closer to the struts than without the kit. I don't think that's going to work.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

Considering it's 1/4"/6.35mm more towards the shock than the 18x9 ET45 you MIGHT have rim lip or tire clearance issues. Towards the fender side, as long as you have more than -2 degrees of camber and aren't super low you could fit a 255/35 depending on the tire brand. You wouldn't have much room, so if you had clearance issues at the shock, you couldn't run much of a spacer to resolve that.

I don't think you'd gain anything over an 18x9 ET45 with the same tire size or even a 235/40, based on weight of the wheel and tire combo. Not worth it unless it was just for style or on a bagged car. For racin', I'd pass.

teemmy

Ready to race!
Considering it's 1/4"/6.35mm more towards the shock than the 18x9 ET45 you MIGHT have rim lip or tire clearance issues. Towards the fender side, as long as you have more than -2 degrees of camber and aren't super low you could fit a 255/35 depending on the tire brand. You wouldn't have much room, so if you had clearance issues at the shock, you couldn't run much of a spacer to resolve that.

I don't think you'd gain anything over an 18x9 ET45 with the same tire size or even a 235/40, based on weight of the wheel and tire combo. Not worth it unless it was just for style or on a bagged car. For racin', I'd pass.

Thanks for your input and help! My fenders are already pulled a little bit so I'm not too worried about that, but I'm a little more concerned about space towards the shock. I have a bbk and I'm trying to find the right rim that won't have clearance issues or run a spacer. I'm currently running a 245/40/18 on my 18x8.5 with a 5mm spacer and I only get rubbing over large bumps at high speeds, which I think can be solved by just running shorter sidewall. 99.9% of the time I have no issues.