GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steam? From Grille After a Long Drive

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
I've noticed some smoke or steam coming from the front grille area a couple of times when I park after a long drive. The couple of times I've noticed this has been on rainy/ humid days. Is it possible its just from wet roads kicking up and steaming on the radiator or intercooler? I've never seen this on other cars before, but I've never had a turbo with an intercooler at the front.

The temp is always steady, no visible signs of leaks or coolant smells I notice under the hood. In the year and a half and 25k miles since new, I've only had to add a cup of coolant when it dropped a little below the low line a few months ago.

Just looking for some opinions or common issues that I've maybe missed on the forums before subjecting myself to a dealer trip.

Thanks.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have noticed this too, on wet days. I didn't notice any strange smells, so I presumed it was just water steaming off the outside of the cooling package.

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
Ok cool, sounds like I'm not the only one. Must be something with the design of the Mk7 front ends that allows this steam to show so easily in ideal conditions.

Thanks for the responses.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Checking in to report the same as others above. I've only noticed it on cooler damp days. The steam didn't have any odors that I could detect.

guitargator6

Ready to race!
Can also report this happens to mine on damp days. lasts for about 20-30 seconds and never has an odor.

t97pete

I have noticed the same thing on my 2016 GTI. I took it to the VW shop, they checked the pressure and found no leaks. A friend with a 2017 GTI sees the same thing so I guess it is just a VW thing and not really an issue.

Mopowababay

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf 1.8t
Yeah I’ve had the thermo replaced and it still happens, vw checked levels and ran a pressure test. They said everything is fine so it must just be a thing

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Normal. Whenever its damp or rainy I always get steam. 53k miles and it’s been doing this since buying car new from dealer.
Never had to refill coolant.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Just had this, this morning. Happy to hear of others dealing with it... Coolant temp was fine. Looked like I just raced through Fury Road and just... parked. Cars next to me on both sides are fine and mine looks like a lil BBQ just went off under my hood, lol.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
im a little shocked to see ppl saying it's 'normal'. I drove thru large puddles in our empty parking lot (50 cars in a 300 car lot) and barely got any steam from the engine bay, most of it was in the back where the water spplashes the hot exhaust. Maybe the Mk7's didn't get a splash guard?

If i saw steam from the bonnet of my MCS, i'd be setting aside $$ for another plastic thermostat replacement (5 total). coolant temps never went up noticeably and the level didn't move much unless the thermostat housing really lets go and there's blue on the ground.