GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine/turbo noise

Audiex

I just bought my Golf 1.4 TSI SE last week and I'm really chuffed with it! Only thing is I noticed a weird sound when on the throttle.. sounds like its the turbo except it doesn't really sound like i would expect a turbo to sound. Instead of a whistle it's more of a brushing sound. It's not particularly loud and I'm not hugely concerned, but just wanted to check is this normal??

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Kind of like an oooooooooo sound?

GeoBog

Ready to race!
I just bought my Golf 1.4 TSI SE last week and I'm really chuffed with it! Only thing is I noticed a weird sound when on the throttle.. sounds like its the turbo except it doesn't really sound like i would expect a turbo to sound. Instead of a whistle it's more of a brushing sound. It's not particularly loud and I'm not hugely concerned, but just wanted to check is this normal??

Where you driving a diesel before this? If that is the case, I had the same sensation when I first drove the GTI as I was used to the whistle sound of the diesel turbo which I loved it. The petrol turbo sounds really different, plus the diverter valve makes it sound a bit like a BOV when you come off the throttle past 3k rpm.

Audiex

It is more of a 'shhh' sound!

It is the first car I've had with a turbo. I drove a naturally aspirated Clio before this so I don't really have anything to compare it with. Another thing that crossed my mind was the ACT shutdown technology - the noise being the 3rd and 4th cylinders kicking in every time I get on the gas.. although I'm not even 100% sure the golf has ACT?