GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OZ Hyper GT HLT Hub Centric Rings

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I bought wheels and tires from T-R . Very happy with everything. Except the vibration.I remounted the wheels, had the alignment checked. Put my original Austin's back on no vibebration. So I just lived with it. Then a post on here said TR had special rings for vw hubs, but when I talked to them they'd never heard of any. So I bought some on e-bay and lived happy ever after.

Yup, and that video above & another one YouTube confirm that the TireRack rings are too thin and can give vibrations

Taller hub rings from other sources will solve it, as you found out ;)

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
So I bought some on e-bay and lived happy ever after.

Mind sharing a link to the ones you bought?

Yup, and that video above & another one YouTube confirm that the TireRack rings are too thin and can give vibrations

Taller hub rings from other sources will solve it, as you found out ;)

Thanks for posting the video. The TR ones that I'm getting are metal, so I'm wondering if they're the ones specific to GTIs that I saw some people mention in other forums/threads.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Since this set won't be used in winter I should be able to avoid salt. What would you recommend to put on these? I read in another thread someone mentioned lithium grease while most other people said anti-seize lubricant.

Won't matter. Whatever you coat metal rings with, they're going to stick on the hubs, and you will have to remove them with a blowtorch. This will happen in the summer as well. Removing them is going to require quite a bit more time than a simple wheel swap normally would, which is a statement that you'll remember quite vividly on the dark, rainy night when you're the side of the freeway changing a flat, as you try to put the spare on and realize the hub ring has to come off first.

I've used both, and the plastic ones are as durable as the metal ones, but come off without a fight. Even if they won't stand up to track use, a new set is less than $10.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
Won't matter. Whatever you coat metal rings with, they're going to stick on the hubs, and you will have to remove them with a blowtorch. This will happen in the summer as well. Removing them is going to require quite a bit more time than a simple wheel swap normally would, which is a statement that you'll remember quite vividly on the dark, rainy night when you're the side of the freeway changing a flat, as you try to put the spare on and realize the hub ring has to come off first.

I've used both, and the plastic ones are as durable as the metal ones, but come off without a fight. Even if they won't stand up to track use, a new set is less than $10.
I've taken my off twice so far and they haven't stuck at all. Mostly come off with the wheel. I'm in S.C. So maybe the mild weather helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I see you' re in the great white north.

I am, but they weren't salting the roads in July, and I'd only had them on for a month, tops.

Maybe some anti-seize works better than others, but I tried several before I gave up and went plastic, only to find that they work exactly the same and I could have saved myself a lot of trouble.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I am, but they weren't salting the roads in July, and I'd only had them on for a month, tops.

Maybe some anti-seize works better than others, but I tried several before I gave up and went plastic, only to find that they work exactly the same and I could have saved myself a lot of trouble.
It never even occurred to me that they might seize! Ignorance is bliss! Now I'll have to use some.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It never even occurred to me that they might seize! Ignorance is bliss! Now I'll have to use some.

I wonder why yours haven't stuck to the hubs... Unless they're a couple of microns wider on the inside, who knows? Murphy's law being what it is, the only time they'll seize is when you're changing a flat, and then find out the hard way that you'll nee a blowtorch to get the metal ring off. It never happened to me, but it occurred to me that it could happen, which is another reason I switched to plastic.

BONJA85

I wonder why yours haven't stuck to the hubs... Unless they're a couple of microns wider on the inside, who knows? Murphy's law being what it is, the only time they'll seize is when you're changing a flat, and then find out the hard way that you'll nee a blowtorch to get the metal ring off. It never happened to me, but it occurred to me that it could happen, which is another reason I switched to plastic.

Get plastic or have this happen to you. I don't know how the hell I'm going to get it off.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You will need to apply anti-seize to the rings where they meet the hub or they will seize to hubs. Since I started using anti-seize, I haven't had an issue.
Been doing this several winters and still haven't had an issue.
Get plastic or have this happen to you. I don't know how the hell I'm going to get it off.

I don't believe there is a plastic ring specifically made for these wheels. I tried a few and couldn't get them to fit correctly, only the OEM metal rings worked without an issue.

As for removing them, try a good penetrating spray such as PB Blaster, then wedge a heavy duty flathead screwdriver between the hub and the ring and twist. Heat should help as well. Next time use copious amounts of anti-seize.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Get some knipex cobras, open them as wide as they will go, and spin the ring right off. Don't pinch too hard or you might clamp it on tighter.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds brutal but I use the claw end of a hammer(or pry bar) and just work my way around trying not to damage the ring.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I've considered dremeling a small groove into the side that faces the hub so I can wedge a screwdriver in there and make it easier to remove them.