GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Video] MK7 GTI @ Buttonwillow

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
https://youtu.be/McOsgFYtdio

My first time running this direction/config, so much fun! Now I know why people love this track.

And yes, I know I could have carried a ton more speed through certain sections, but I need more laps to build that courage! :D

local

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19R
I cant see the video at work but definitely will try to watch when i get home.

What was the configuration and your time??

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
I cant see the video at work but definitely will try to watch when i get home.

What was the configuration and your time??

13CW 2:26 I know I'm slow, go easy on me! haha ;)

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Good to see our cars out on track and folks having fun driving them. Get as much seat time as you can and build speed from there. The tires will start wailing when you reach their limit of grip. I focused on my lines building consistency. Then started upping corner speeds and maintaining momentum. The last thing I worked on was compressing brake zones. Still working the consistency all the time.

Have fun!

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to see our cars out on track and folks having fun driving them. Get as much seat time as you can and build speed from there. The tires will start wailing when you reach their limit of grip. I focused on my lines building consistency. Then started upping corner speeds and maintaining momentum. The last thing I worked on was compressing brake zones. Still working the consistency all the time.

Have fun!

Great tips, thanks!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Nice! Don't apologize for lap times. Seat time will bring it on. Most importantly I guarantee you had about 1000X more fun than the vast majority of Golf owners that day. R's at the track are far too much of a rarity.

Nice run. For what it's worth, maybe try to keep the revs up a bit overall? I think I'd be in one gear lower on many sections, but you know your car best.

Again, nice job.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Looks good. Good line, although there are opportunities for some tweaks there - the Cotton Corners-Grapevine complex and Bus Stop come immediately to mind.

I'll be there in November when it's not so freakin' hot. The Audi club rents the track for 3 days the weekend before Thanksgiving and I go every year. Friday will be 1CCW for a non-instructed day for advanced drivers, while the regular school will be Saturday and Sunday with the 1CW configuration.

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice! Don't apologize for lap times. Seat time will bring it on. Most importantly I guarantee you had about 1000X more fun than the vast majority of Golf owners that day. R's at the track are far too much of a rarity.

Nice run. For what it's worth, maybe try to keep the revs up a bit overall? I think I'd be in one gear lower on many sections, but you know your car best.

Again, nice job.

Yeah, I probably could have been a gear lower through some of the sections. But it was about 105 degrees that day, so I was trying my best to take care of the engine.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out!

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks good. Good line, although there are opportunities for some tweaks there - the Cotton Corners-Grapevine complex and Bus Stop come immediately to mind.

I'll be there in November when it's not so freakin' hot. The Audi club rents the track for 3 days the weekend before Thanksgiving and I go every year. Friday will be 1CCW for a non-instructed day for advanced drivers, while the regular school will be Saturday and Sunday with the 1CW configuration.

Yeah, I know I have a ton of room for improvement, especially the sections you mentioned. As for the heat, I'm totally with you. I'll never do another summer track day at Buttonwillow, it's unbearable.

I've never heard of the Audi Club track days, I'll check it out!

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Yeah, I know I have a ton of room for improvement, especially the sections you mentioned. As for the heat, I'm totally with you. I'll never do another summer track day at Buttonwillow, it's unbearable.

I've never heard of the Audi Club track days, I'll check it out!

My very first track day ever was some years ago at BW with the BMWCCA in mid-June. It was 105 degrees out and I was sweating so much I could barely keep a grip on the steering wheel. My poor instructor's other student was driving a 335i and he had to keep the heater running full blast to keep the car from overheating. After my next event the following month at Thunderhill in 105 degree weather, I swore off summer events at California tracks that aren't Laguna Seca.

Here's a link to the ACNA event on MSR: https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...-southern-california-900707#.W3HI7ZaRFJ4.link

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Compared to most people who are newer, you're doing really well with utilizing the entire track. I've never used TrackAddict and race render before, but it looks a lot smoother than Harry's. Might have to give that one a go!

Heat is a killer man. I've got an intercooler I'm finishing up right now. When my car was stock I overheated at an autocross in 95 degrees. Stage 2, without an intercooler, the car is almost useless after 1 lap, lol. Had to try it though, just to see how bad it would be until my intercooler was delivered...

Also, I ran one day in 85 degrees where I mixed 101 oct and 91 oct to make 94. The next day I used a Lucus octane booster instead, which would supposedly make 91 oct 94. Second day was about 90-95 and with the Lucus oct booster the oil temps were actually 15 degrees lower max. I can't speak as to the exact difference the lucus stuff made, but it was noticeable.

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Compared to most people who are newer, you're doing really well with utilizing the entire track. I've never used TrackAddict and race render before, but it looks a lot smoother than Harry's. Might have to give that one a go!

Heat is a killer man. I've got an intercooler I'm finishing up right now. When my car was stock I overheated at an autocross in 95 degrees. Stage 2, without an intercooler, the car is almost useless after 1 lap, lol. Had to try it though, just to see how bad it would be until my intercooler was delivered...

Also, I ran one day in 85 degrees where I mixed 101 oct and 91 oct to make 94. The next day I used a Lucus octane booster instead, which would supposedly make 91 oct 94. Second day was about 90-95 and with the Lucus oct booster the oil temps were actually 15 degrees lower max. I can't speak as to the exact difference the lucus stuff made, but it was noticeable.

Note that the video actually comes from GoPro cameras, not the TrackAddict app. TrackAddict was only used to record the data. I overlayed it when I got home using RaceRender for Windows.

As for the heat, my car Stage 1 (stock IC) finally started limping during my third session when the outside temp was around 105 degrees. I don't know what my oil temp was at the time, but I'm sure it was way up there. Thankfully the car "saved itself". No more summer tracking! :)

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I've never used TrackAddict and race render before, but it looks a lot smoother than Harry's. Might have to give that one a go!

I used that combo for years until I switched to an AiM SoloDL for data acquisition at the beginning of 2017. I used TrackAddict with a Dual XGPS160 10Hz GPS receiver and a GoPoint BT1 OBDII scanner. I still use RaceRender to produce the video. The SoloDL kind of sucks for autocross compared to smartphone based products, but I do mostly HPDE days nowadays. You can find my trackday videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/coatesiii

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I used that combo for years until I switched to an AiM SoloDL for data acquisition at the beginning of 2017. I used TrackAddict with a Dual XGPS160 10Hz GPS receiver and a GoPoint BT1 OBDII scanner. I still use RaceRender to produce the video. The SoloDL kind of sucks for autocross compared to smartphone based products, but I do mostly HPDE days nowadays. You can find my trackday videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/coatesiii

I like your throttle, brake, and psi bars. They really show off the turbo lag, haha. The obd2 dongle I have won't pull throttle and psi on my car for some reason with the torque pro app.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I like your throttle, brake, and psi bars. They really show off the turbo lag, haha. The obd2 dongle I have won't pull throttle and psi on my car for some reason with the torque pro app.

My device is wired into the CAN bus as a brake signal is not available over OBDII. TPS and manifold pressure are available in OBDII, but don't forget to subtract 14.7 psi from your manifold pressure.