GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Proud New Owner of a 2018 GTI S - Manual - White Silver Metallic

mikee2005

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I picked up my brand new 2018 GTI S with Manual Transmission. It is the really cool White Silver Metallic. I've previously owned a MK6 GTI, then switched to another car, but now I'm back in a GTI. I love this car; the handling is so sharp and it's a lot of fun to drive. Looking forward to many roadtrips in this car!
Here's a picture:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Welcome back to the gang. What did you stray from the course with? And do you think you'll stay with this one/continue in the family? (Golf Family/Audi MQB) ?

Also yeah that white silver is so slick

mikee2005

So, my previous GTI, the mk6, was a lease. When the lease was up, I returned it even though I loved the car because I wanted to try some other cars. I test drove a bunch and ended up with a used 2015 Mustang V6. I did like the car, but it wasn't as sharp as the GTI. But the real big issue is that it wasn't very practical. I like having practicality and I underestimated the adjustment to a coupe (plus, it's a very big car...the GTI is so much easier to park, take places, etc.).

Also, I got the Mustang as an automatic. I began to miss driving a manual transmission. So, I decided to just get the GTI. I'm glad that I did.
Since I had already driven an mk6 for 3 years, the 2018 GTI felt very similar and I had no problems adjusting to it.

And yes, I do plan on keeping this one until I finish paying it off, and probably for several years after that (6 year bumper to bumper warranty ftw!).

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Nice car! Interesting to see you’ve got the Austin alloy wheels which were the wheels fitted to the pre-face lift mk7 GTI, rather than the Parker alloys that are fitted to the mk7.5.

The Tax Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Nice car! Interesting to see you’ve got the Austin alloy wheels which were the wheels fitted to the pre-face lift mk7 GTI, rather than the Parker alloys that are fitted to the mk7.5.

Good eye. Those also look like pre-face lift headlights as well. Congrats either way!

mikee2005

Good eye. Those also look like pre-face lift headlights as well. Congrats either way!

Yeah, I was confused by that at first when I looked at the 2018s. Apparently all 2018 GTI S models get the Austin wheels (only SE and Autobahn get the newer wheels), and the S models get Halogen headlights, which were not updated to that new look...only the SE and Autobahn models get the new lights.

No biggie for me since I prefer the Austin wheels looks-wise, and I didn't want to spend more for the SE just for the upgraded lights (I didn't really need the moonroof). I got a great deal on the S and I think it is one of the best equipped base models for any car (auto headlights, rain-sensing wipers, Apple Carplay/Android Auto).

Gr8ful1

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up a 2018 GTI Autonbahn with 3 pedals and white also. I have 380 miles on it so far. Everything feel just right on this car. Anyway congrats.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Yeah, I was confused by that at first when I looked at the 2018s. Apparently all 2018 GTI S models get the Austin wheels (only SE and Autobahn get the newer wheels), and the S models get Halogen headlights, which were not updated to that new look...only the SE and Autobahn models get the new lights.

No biggie for me since I prefer the Austin wheels looks-wise, and I didn't want to spend more for the SE just for the upgraded lights (I didn't really need the moonroof). I got a great deal on the S and I think it is one of the best equipped base models for any car (auto headlights, rain-sensing wipers, Apple Carplay/Android Auto).

Those halogens are actually updated look vs the older halogen style.