GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger side washer sprayer not working

stm25rs

So, I learned the hard way that these cars don't like rain-x. Shortly after buying mine, I put some of the Rain-X additive into the washer fluid. A few hundred miles later, got a low washer fluid alert. Topped off the fluid....it was nowhere near close to empty, which led me to search the forums and found out about the Rain-X issue with the sensor. Solved the "empty fluid" annoyance by turning it off via OBD eleven.

Now, at about 15k miles later, my passenger side sprayer isn't spraying. The fluid had gotten empty, thanks to not being able to see the reservoir in the engine bay.

Does Rain-X additive cause issues with the sprayers too? Or maybe air got in the line because the reservoir got empty?

Guessing I should inquire about a warranty claim on this, and opt not to mention the use of Rain-X?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I never heard of putting Rain-X in the washer fluid. You're supposed to apply it to the windows. It's like waxing your car. You put it on and wipe it off.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yes on the warranty, no on mentioning which fluid you used.

Jimlloyd - rainex makes a washer fluid, it messes with the level system in our cars (and others I'm guessing).

stm25rs

They also make an additive which you can put in to regular fluid, that's what I used. I've used the additive and rainx fluid on other cars without issue.

I thought messing with the sensor was bad enough, but I guess it also gums up the sprayer or pump in these cars? That's crazy to me

Last edited:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
VW w'screen washer spray outlets are known for blockages, especially if you use anything other than genuine VW washer fluid. IIRC some people have been able to clear them, but others found the job was so fiddly it was easier to just buy new spray outlets.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Mixing OEM fluid with Rain-X the problem. Run the OEM fluid dry, then fill with Rain-X, and you will be fine. I have used this method on my last 3 VWs, with over 200k miles combined, I never had a washer related issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

stm25rs

Mixing OEM fluid with Rain-X the problem. Run the OEM fluid dry, then fill with Rain-X, and you will be fine. I have used this method on my last 3 VWs, with over 200k miles combined, I never had a washer related issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I believe the passenger side stopped spraying after the fluid ran dry, and I refilled with regular washer fluid - non-OEM, but not Rain-X brand either. Just the regular blue stuff.

stm25rs

Quick update in case anyone else has same issue. Had the dealership look at it when I went in for my 20k service. Just said the passenger side wasn't spraying, they checked it out as a warranty thing. Said it was clogged and compressed air blew out the clog, all good now. Was half expecting them to ask about rainx but nope, easy peasy

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Should have re enabled the sensor, they would have put a new one in.;)