GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear ended! Nightmare

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As someone who was rear-ended in my Jazz just before Christmas - I now have a Golf Match - I have watched this thread with interest and agree with Hobby55.
I was badgered for a couple of weeks asking me to accept compensation for injuries I didn't have following the accident, which was slight. My wife and I had no injuries and neither did the woman who drove into us, but she, apparently, claimed compensation for her 'injuries'. We refused to accept compensation because it would have been dishonest and would have contributed to an increase in premiums. This compensation culture is unacceptable.

Not to go into to many details, but my wife rear ended 2 cars lined up in front at less than 15mph. This was in front of a hospital and everyone in all the cars confirmed to nurses and doctors that they were fine. No one showed signs of whiplash or any injuries. To put it in perspective, the repair on our car cost $700 to replace broken grill.

Well a few weeks later, was wondering why the case wasn't closed yet. Call insurance and they state the passenger (a 25 yo woman) in the middle car is filling a claim for injuries. I reiterate that police report shows no one had signs of injury and were seen by medical staff on site. Didn't matter. They ended up settling with her for $10000 and my premiums almost doubled.

baldybouncer

I take your point, BB, but your defenition of a "replacement" car and mine are different... In my view a replacement car is one you get when your car is written off, a temporary replacement car is what you have got which is also known as a courtesy car!

I'd agree with GTD, though, it wouldn't have killed you to use the Astra for a day or two...

When you get that next Insurance Premium and find it's gone up and you want to blame someone for that rise remember to just look in the mirror... Repair Shops will have to charge higher prices if they have to stock all sorts of exotica for people who can't slum it for a few days, they will pass that cost to the Insurance Companies who will pass it down to us... What goes around comes around...

My insurance will not be going up - it does not effect my no claims as It was a non fault accident.

As for a few days - I had the loan car 6 days and use my car for work ( I work as part of a sales team and visit clients) ... it would not look very good turning up in a bodyshop loan car with stickers all over it! As for the Astra - why should I put up with an inferior car while mine is being fixed? If you are happy to drive an astra - that is fine - I am not though!

Hobby55

Ready to race!
My insurance will not be going up - it does not effect my no claims as It was a non fault accident.

Please re-read what i said, I wasn't meaning that your premium would rise as a result of this accident (obviously it wouldn't as it wasn't your fault), but if everyone insisted on a loan car to match their existing car then premiums would have to rise to pay for those loan cars...

Look at the wider picture...

As for a Golf vs an Astra, I doubt many people would even notice the difference, they compete in the same market segment and whilst we on here think the Golf is superior, the Man in the Street couldn't give a flying fig about that... It's all in our mind....

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
My insurance will not be going up - it does not effect my no claims as It was a non fault accident.!

Word of warning: Watch your next premium when it comes through. My wife's Countryman was sat in a car park when someone pranged it pretty badly - all went through on the 3rd party insurance and when it came to renewing hers it went up considerably and when questioned, I quote; she was considered a "high risk driver" due to the non fault claim (even though she wasn't even in the car at the time!).

This was one of the big, more (what I thought) reputable insurance companies. I had to shop around a lot to get the price down but note, you always have to declare you've had a non fault claim. The cynical side of me always wonders what they use that for!

cornercarver

Passed Driver's Ed
In the US insurance companies only have to provide you with a vehicle comparable in size to the vehicle damage, not comparable in luxury. From what you are saying it is probably similar to your situation. They are labeling your car as a base golf and are providing you an equivalent size.

Bungleaio

Ready to race!

Your insurance will indeed be rising because of this accident even though you are completely innocent. Insurance costs are based on statistics and people that have been involved in a none fault accident are statistically more likely to be in a fault accident so you will have to pay an increase for this risk. You will have to declare this for 5 years.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Your insurance will indeed be rising because of this accident even though you are completely innocent. Insurance costs are based on statistics and people that have been involved in a none fault accident are statistically more likely to be in a fault accident so you will have to pay an increase for this risk. You will have to declare this for 5 years.

Although I have seen this rumour many times , the premium may not necessarily go up, in fact mine has reduced .... and fortunately I didn't go on to cause an accident :cool:

Completely wrong.........please don't spread incorrect information here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvin1

Ready to race!
I'm afraid, right from the start, although I was sympathetic with the OP's situation and having the horror of being rear shunted and seeing his nice car damaged, my sympathies waned somewhat on hearing his attitude to what his temporary replacement car should be like.
I really am not sure on whose side I should take but personally, I would be grateful for any car providing the loan period was reasonably short, say up to ten days perhaps.

baldybouncer

Hobby55

Ready to race!
It can increase your premium but not always. Which is what I was told when i spoke to one of the major insurance companies last year when renewing my daughter's car insurance... (I (as a named driver) had had two minor accidents in the past few years, both non-fault which is why I was asking.)

I am not a liar, BB. Those are the facts given to me by the Ins Co...

Here's another link as you obviously don't believe me of the person at the Company...

https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-a...n-fault-claim-affect-my-premiums-0-5981-0.htm

Not always, but in some cases it will.

This isn't about you or your premium, it's about everyone and everyone's insurance is different so even no-fault can affect some people's, if not yours or my daughter's.

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
It can increase your premium but not always. Which is what I was told when i spoke to one of the major insurance companies last year when renewing my daughter's car insurance... (I (as a named driver) had had two minor accidents in the past few years, both non-fault which is why I was asking.)

I am not a liar, BB. Those are the facts given to me by the Ins Co...

Here's another link as you obviously don't believe me of the person at the Company...

https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-a...n-fault-claim-affect-my-premiums-0-5981-0.htm

Not always, but in some cases it will.

This isn't about you or your premium, it's about everyone and everyone's insurance is different so even no-fault can affect some people's, if not yours or my daughter's.

Or mine, my premium has reduced year upon year with claims, but that said it was no fault and fully recovered, the recovery maybe what causes some to go up, if I'm a no fault then I use an accident management company and just notify the insurance for records only.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Both mine were when the car was parked so no need of an accident management company, we weren't even in the thing, though two German coppers watch one of them so we had good witnesses! The woman at the Ins Co did say that some companies are more sensitive to it than others... After 25 year+ of clear motoring and then three inside three years I do wonder if they have a point, though! :)