GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Betty White - 3DR 1.8TSI

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's my build thread for my 3 Door MK7 1.8TSI. I picked it up brand new last March and have since put about 25k on it. This is my second car, my first being a 2.slow MK4 Golf that I had for 3 years. Here's a photo of that:

Here's the MK7 the day I picked it up.

About a month later I realized my BBS RS reps I had on my mk4 were dual bolt pattern and would fit the MK7 as well so I put those on.

Tbh it looked really goofy stock height with these wheels but I drove it like that for the summer of 2017. I also did a muffler delete last summer which was pretty disappointing to be honest. The car is still too quiet for my taste, I'm thinking of doing a resonator delete to hopefully get more sound out of the exhaust without breaking the bank.

At the beginning of this summer I order BC Racing Extreme Low coilovers. They took about a month to get here so I ordered this pwrhaus dv spacer while I waited.

https://youtu.be/QB6-ZBx84go
The DV spacer is really just for sound but I'd say it's worth the money if that's what you're after. I'm still trying to retain my warranty for my engine so unfortunately this is about all I can get away with atm in terms of diverter valves.

After what felt like a lifetime my coilovers finally made it in. Installed them on a Thursday night using the 2x4 method and while it was somewhat time consuming (probably 6 hours to install, 2 more in chasing down rattles and small issues) the car looked a million times better.

This was before making final adjustments on height and getting an alignment (hence the missing centercaps)

The height as it sits right now.

Since the coilovers the only mod I've done is a JB1 piggyback. The power while not being the fastest thing on the road really is night and day from stock. You can really feel the boost kick in and despite having 225's all around I'm spinning through all of first gear on map 1. Also I thought the jump from 87 octane to 91 was going to break the bank but truthfully it hasn't really been noticeable and I feel like my tank's last longer. Using the data cable I believe I was peaking at just over 15psi on 91. I would definitely recommend the JB1 or better yet, the JB4 to anyone with a MK7, especially a 1.8.

Here's a little clip of the car from a few weeks ago:
https://youtu.be/UrFp1pQJjMA

And how she sits as of this week:

I ordered an OBDEleven so I'm just waiting for that to come in. I'll probably do the Urban Joke mod, turn off my traction control, turn off hill assist, adjust throttle response. If anyone has any recommendations for tweaks let me know!

Future mods:
-New wheels that aren't reps for next season
-Piano black interior trim (wrap most likely)
-Resonator delete
-Lip and sideskirts (any recommendations would be appreciated)

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Subbed.

It'll be interesting to see what someone else does with a TSI. Also in to see what route you go with skirts/lips. I've been looking into them as well.

Probably ordering a OBD & drop in filter tonight.

I'm going to assume since you want hill assist gone it's a manual? If so I just installed a BFI shifter; gotta say the quality is amazing and it does make shifting smoother. Might be something worth looking into.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
good looking three door!
If you're looking for lip and sideskirts, there's an OEM valence option that looks pretty sharp from what i've seen.

Thanks! Yeah, I've been looking into the OEM valence, seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Admittedly it is pretty expensive though so that might be something I get next season.

Subbed.

It'll be interesting to see what someone else does with a TSI. Also in to see what route you go with skirts/lips. I've been looking into them as well.

Probably ordering a OBD & drop in filter tonight.

I'm going to assume since you want hill assist gone it's a manual? If so I just installed a BFI shifter; gotta say the quality is amazing and it does make shifting smoother. Might be something worth looking into.

Yes, it's a 5spd manual. I just got my OBDEleven in this week, first order of business was to turn off hill hold assist. However, I found out you can never turn it off completely, you can just adjust how long it holds the car for. Oh well, it's better than it was prior to adjusting it. I also did the windows down via keyfob mod, esc off via headunit, direct throttle response and an attempt at urbanjoke that didn't work out too well lol. You'll definitely enjoy the OBDEleven though. Currently I'm running the stock intake but drop in filter would be pretty sweet! BFI shifter's look really nice definitely something I'm considering.

Today I may be going to get a resonator delete to get a little more sound as the muffler delete alone is a little disappointing.

Here's a video of the issue I'm having with UrbanJoke, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it let me know!
https://youtu.be/1vBd3qTb7fg

Last edited:

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! Yeah, I've been looking into the OEM valence, seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Admittedly it is pretty expensive though so that might be something I get next season.

Yes, it's a 5spd manual. I just got my OBDEleven in this week, first order of business was to turn off hill hold assist. However, I found out you can never turn it off completely, you can just adjust how long it holds the car for. Oh well, it's better than it was prior to adjusting it. I also did the windows down via keyfob mod, esc off via headunit, direct throttle response and an attempt at urbanjoke that didn't work out too well lol. You'll definitely enjoy the OBDEleven though. Currently I'm running the stock intake but drop in filter would be pretty sweet! BFI shifter's look really nice definitely something I'm considering.

Today I may be going to get a resonator delete to get a little more sound as the muffler delete alone is a little disappointing.

Here's a video of the issue I'm having with UrbanJoke, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it let me know!
https://youtu.be/1vBd3qTb7fg

Sound clips necessary for the res delete. I was considering it. Although I can't do a muffler delete unfortunately.

Also a clutch stop is a nice addition; takes all the dead space out of the clutch. Although I'm keeping hill assist (first manual car). I'd be interested in how you feel about the throttle response.

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Appointment at an exhaust shop is booked for end of September (this place seemed the most knowledgable and gave me the best quote so it's worth the wait). I'd say the throttle response was noticeable for me, what I thought was a lot of boost lag turned out to be the throttle response being modulated, changing it to direct livened up the car a bit imo.

Last Friday went to check out a local parts shop called JDM Place. They import a lot of rare parts and had a lot of cool wheels. Was looking at the Rays Heritage Mesh in an 18x8 18x9 staggered setup. Not quite in the budget yet but definitely something I'd like to look into for the future.

The area around the shop was pretty interesting so I had my gf shoot some pics. Excuse the blur, the lens on my phone camera is cracked.

Also put on an EZ lip tonight just to get an idea of what my car looks like with a splitter. No pics as of yet because it was dark when i put it on but I'll update with pics tomorrow!

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Appointment at an exhaust shop is booked for end of September (this place seemed the most knowledgable and gave me the best quote so it's worth the wait). I'd say the throttle response was noticeable for me, what I thought was a lot of boost lag turned out to be the throttle response being modulated, changing it to direct livened up the car a bit imo.

Last Friday went to check out a local parts shop called JDM Place. They import a lot of rare parts and had a lot of cool wheels. Was looking at the Rays Heritage Mesh in an 18x8 18x9 staggered setup. Not quite in the budget yet but definitely something I'd like to look into for the future.

The area around the shop was pretty interesting so I had my gf shoot some pics. Excuse the blur, the lens on my phone camera is cracked.

Also put on an EZ lip tonight just to get an idea of what my car looks like with a splitter. No pics as of yet because it was dark when i put it on but I'll update with pics tomorrow!
My OBDeleven should be here Friday so I'm looking forward to doing the throttle change.

Are you having the shop do the res delete along with the exhaust?

Why are we doing the same builds? Get out of my head and stop stealing my ideas. I was considering an easy lip.

It's between the lip and a P3 gauge. I'm selling some junk and whatever I make should pay for either.

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
My OBDeleven should be here Friday so I'm looking forward to doing the throttle change.

Are you having the shop do the res delete along with the exhaust?

Why are we doing the same builds? Get out of my head and stop stealing my ideas. I was considering an easy lip.

It's between the lip and a P3 gauge. I'm selling some junk and whatever I make should pay for either.

Yep, I'm going to talk to the guys there and see if it's better to just do a resonator delete since I already have a muffler delete or if I should step up to 2.5" piping from the cat back.

The EZ lip was easy to install but I'm not super confident that it's going to stay on. It was also way harder than I expected to cut it properly, maybe my scissors were just too dull.

The P3 Gauge would be awesome! I really want to get a boost gauge of some sort since I'm running the JB1 it would be nice to see what I'm peaking at without having to connect my laptop to the data cable.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Looks good! Excited to see what else you do! I had the all fit lip, very similar to the ezlip, for awhile and it was good practice for learning what you can and can’t do with a splitter in terms of clearance issues... Almost like splitter training wheels :D I have the maxton lip now and I rarely ever scrape...

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks good! Excited to see what else you do! I had the all fit lip, very similar to the ezlip, for awhile and it was good practice for learning what you can and can’t do with a splitter in terms of clearance issues... Almost like splitter training wheels :D I have the maxton lip now and I rarely ever scrape...

Thanks! And yeah haha, that's pretty much the exact reason I got it. To see what I can and can't get away with without destroying an actually expensive splitter. I'm also tryingto decide whether I want the OEM valence kit or just a splitter and aftermarket sideskirts.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
OEM kit is nice but pricey... you can save a whole lot by going with a mk7 golf splitter, gti skirts and a gti or center exit valance...

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
OEM kit is nice but pricey... you can save a whole lot by going with a mk7 golf splitter, gti skirts and a gti or center exit valance...

The one thing I like about the OEM kit is the fact that it's meant to be color matched rather than black. I haven't found a lot of front lips that would look good color matched, that's why I'm so torn.

Anyway, put the EZ lip on last night, here's a photo. This should do the trick until next season.

(also idk why the quality on all of my photos is getting destroyed, sorry about that)

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
youve already got a black/white thing going... i think it would looks sharp!

Black mirror caps, black roof... could be cool!

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
youve already got a black/white thing going... i think it would looks sharp!

Black mirror caps, black roof... could be cool!

Not a bad idea, for my next wheel setup I wanna go white on white though! So we'll see how it goes next season.

No new mods, however I got a chip in my windshield after replacing it in May, motorcycle flung a rock up at me. So annoying... :mad:

Here are some photos my gf took of the car at the House of Vans last night! She's much better at taking photos than I am lol.

bettywhiteMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Double post lol!

https://youtu.be/03t1kP2XwZw

I got my exhaust done at GT Custom Exhaust in Pickering, Ontario. It's 2.5 inch stainless steel from the catback, to a single exit dual 4" tip. Sounds awesome but pretty loud so I'm still getting used to it. The footage doesn't really show it off too much but I also didn't wanna go WOT down my residential street, I'll try to get some better footage this week. Side note: anyone know how to embed youtube videos on forums? It's been a while since I've posted on a forum haha.