GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable DRL

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
Something I noticed so be careful. I changed my DL lamps to LED, looked much better but for some reason they knocked out my full beam. When flashing people to exit or whatever no one took any notice? Apparently some mechanic said could be something to do with the voltage. So obviously changed them back with sore knuckles again.
Maybe someone has another reason why this happens?

bertj

Ready to race!
Something I noticed so be careful. I changed my DL lamps to LED, looked much better but for some reason they knocked out my full beam. When flashing people to exit or whatever no one took any notice? Apparently some mechanic said could be something to do with the voltage. So obviously changed them back with sore knuckles again.
Maybe someone has another reason why this happens?

On standard Mk.7's (not 7.5) it's not possible to change DRL's to LED's. The DRL's on Mk.7's use one of the dual filaments on the main beam halogen bulb running at a lower light output than when the actual main beam is selected. IIRC this filament also provides a parking (side) light function similarly run at a lower output. AFAIK there are no replacement LED bulbs that correctly duplicate the dual filament halogen bulbs with their variable light output.
If you want LED DRL's then you will have to buy a 7.5 Golf or perhaps a GTD or GTI!
BTW,I believe that some people have converted fog lamps to DRL's - possibly illegal and likely to open a can of worms.