GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HAM Radio Face Plate /Control Head Mount for MK7

flip7

Ready to race!
In case anyone is interested, I designed a mount that can hold the control head for HAM radio equipment, in the ashtray hole.

It also allows to completely shut that door, so it becomes 100% concealed.

I am currently using it with a Yaesu FT100, but it shall work with other similar face detachable transceivers.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Pics?

I've got a friend with a mk7 golf that may be interested.

flip7

Ready to race!
Here you go. this will be $20 plus shipping if interested 20181217_105509.jpeg20181217_105537.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Nicely done!

I would have loved to be able to do that, but my display is too large. Later, I decided to start using a D-Dock, so I moved my display to an air vent:

The large display has been great, but not as easily hidden as smaller ones. If I do ham radio in my next car, I'll probably just get a digital HT and go D-STAR only. If...

Did you eventually drill a hole in the back of the cubby so that the display cable is hidden? That's what I had done when my display was mounted down there. Where did you put the chassis and microphone? Do you use an external speaker?

Sorry to hijack. There doesn't seem to be many of us with installed ham radios in our Mk7s.

flip7

Ready to race!
Radio is under pass seat and it sounds quite well with it's own internal speaker

I will want to drill a hole in yhe back of yhe storage compartiment. Did you take out the box firrst or??

I am yet to finish the install everything is hanging loose and around

The mic - i may use the mag mount which usually holds the Accessport. Not decided

For now i am powering it from the lighter. I am not sure I will go to the battery directly. Maybe in the fuse box. Thoughts on that?

Antenna is a mag NMO mount 19 inches tall.

Cheers
W2ROM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes, chassis speakers are much better today than in the old days. I suspect my radio speaker would be sufficient under a seat, too. As for the cubby, I did remove mine before cutting a hole. I went in through the top:

I did that so I could hide the hole, as if anyone is going to duck their head down and look into the cubby. HAHA! You'll want to remove the cubby either way so that you can route the cable behind the dash.

Powering the unit from a 12V outlet may add noise into your signal. It's hard to be sure. I get my power directly from the battery and I've installed a choke, too. It's overkill, I'm sure. I guess I'd try a 12V outlet if I could. But directly to the battery is usually best and recommended in the manuals. Of course, VW doesn't want ANYTHING like this added. HAHA!

Have fun!