GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel fit

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
An et45 offset is only 4mm further out than the stock Austins.
Wheel width is also a factor. The above statement is only true if both wheels are 7.5" width. Easiest way to think of offset is the wheel center line. For example only, a 9.5" +45 wheel will stick out 1" further than a 7.5" +45 wheel. It will also sit inboard an additional 1".

Definitely stick with 40 sidewall, regardless of 225 or 235 width.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Wheel width is also a factor. The above statement is only true if both wheels are 7.5" width. Easiest way to think of offset is the wheel center line. For example only, a 9.5" +45 wheel will stick out 1" further than a 7.5" +45 wheel. It will also sit inboard an additional 1".

Definitely stick with 40 sidewall, regardless of 225 or 235 width.

I know what wheel offset is. But given that a 235 is 10mm wider than 225, which sits just about flush on a 7.5 wheel, a 235 will be nearly flush on an 8, which is 12.7mm wider than a 7.5. All in all, he should be fine with an et45 and a 225, because it's the tire that forms the outermost boundary of the rotating object that has to fit inside the wheel well, as it's just a 4mm offset from stock. If he slaps on 9" wheels with a 225, it should still be fine, but the tires will look out of place. I, on the other hand, will most likely have to do the fender screw mod because I'm going with 235.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
what about 19x8 with et45? 225/35/19
A Continental may have a stretch to it, but MPS may still be square.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I got that much. But the question remains: once the liner is tucked away, is it snug enough to not flap and cause additional noise?

I didn't do it on my GTI, but I did do it on my B5 S4. I had no problems with it. The fender liner itself is a pretty stiff piece of plastic. I think for it to flap around...you'd have to be missing several screws.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I didn't do it on my GTI, but I did do it on my B5 S4. I had no problems with it. The fender liner itself is a pretty stiff piece of plastic. I think for it to flap around...you'd have to be missing several screws.
That sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
thinking of going with pilot sport 4s

So I had my 8x18 et45 wheels installed today, along with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+, 235/40/18.
The front wheels are flush with the fenders. If you look at them from above, it seems that they may even stick out a tiiiny bit. Then again I may be seeing things. The rear wheels are still a little bit tucked in, but definitely looks better than with the stock 7.5 et49.
Heightwise, the tires are obviously closer to the wheel well liner than they were before. I think it will behoove me to do the fender screw mod. After that, I think my setup will be perfectly fine.