GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire pressure monitor on the gti's how does it work ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would definitely prefer the TPMS. Every time I get my wheels rotated and balanced I can count on the low tire warning right away.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
really? my '15 SE does not...

It should. All Golfs will identify the tyre that's the culprit, but it won't tell you the pressures unless you have Active TPMS.

It'd be nonsensical for your specific GTI to not identify which tyre is at fault as it's just using the sensors already in the car, nothing special on top of that. The initial popup on the MFD may not identify it, but the infotainment screen will in the Car menu.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
ok so there's no TPMS on the Gti, so what could of possibly tripped the light when the pressures were all good ?

Was it particularly hot or cold out?

This form of TPMS originated because the EU mandated that TPMS be installed on every car built from November 2014 onwards. Rather than install direct/active TPMS on every car with sensors in the wheels (costly!), VW just followed suit with other manufacturers and opted to use the ABS sensors they already had to measure changes in the wheel circumference in relation to the other wheels.

Less pressure, smaller circumference from what was previously learned.

It could be that it's been a while since you reset the TPMS and all four tyres have gradually lost a few PSI, and then if the weather was particularly harsh, or that specific wheel went over a bump that deformed it enough to cross the threshold, the system would identify it as a tyre pressure loss.

It's possible to retrofit direct/active TPMS with sensors in the wheels if you fancy that - there's a few threads dotted about the usual places.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I actually like VW's ABS based TPMS since you can easily swap wheels without having to buy and maintain expensive pressure sensors in wheels.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
yeah it actually works pretty well. I have had one or two false positives, but more often than not the tire it says is low is actually low by a few lbs.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I remember someone who went out hooning enough in dirt/snow? that it set it off. Enough wheel spin to make system angry.

not saying Jay drives like a hoon..........although

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
my experience with the mk7 tpms is that it can throw false positives out there, particularly if care was not taken rotating tires and resetting at fill ups, etc.

As mentioned, it's working off of threshold differences between the other sensors. I've had a false alarm thrown when my pressure on front right was out of sync with my front left and other tires. At time, didn't have a gauge on me, but it was enough to alert me to it, look at it, see it was still inflated, and motor home to my tire gauge.

I've also seen it say low pressure detected, while also not telling me which tire it was. However, after a little while it specifically informed me "tire x is low". I suspect it has something to do with it taking time and calculations to figure out which tire is out of whack. This agrees with what Tom mentioned above.

That said, vw switched away from tpms because everyone complained the sensors were expensive and set off the alarms too often. If you want tpms sensors, you can definitely install them and sync them to your MIB2 setup per xagico's DIY (i think Chillout is also doing this currently).