GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
245/40 18 on a 18x8.5 + 45 wheel. Minor rubbing on hard dips but the fender screw mod eliminated it. I agree if you don't want to touch anything, 235 is fine.

or just go 245/35/18. I ran, and will for a few more months, a 245/40/17 that's really an 8.8" wide tire (as wide as most 255), and i never rub, even being on 034 springs now. I'm also at -2 front camber, though.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
or just go 245/35/18. I ran, and will for a few more months, a 245/40/17 that's really an 8.8" wide tire (as wide as most 255), and i never rub, even being on 034 springs now. I'm also at -2 front camber, though.

I prefer the 245/40/18 because:

- additional ~1/2" sidewall for slightly softer ride and better wheel protection from potholes as a daily driver
- closer to the OE tire diameter to keep speedometer more accurate
- Many tire shops charge more for under 40 profiles, and many techs can't handle a 35 profile very well, leading to increased costs and potential damage to the wheel

However, these are specific to my needs/wants.

Your 17s are an inch smaller than what I'm running. That adds quite a bit of space to avoid rubbing. I have some camber plates waiting to go in, so when I do lower (very very modestly) I'm hoping to continue not rubbing from the 245/40/18s.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'm at 38lb 10oz with 235/45R17 PS4S on the 17*8 Fast FC04s. I'll probably get them on the car after I get back from my vacation the first week of March and will measure my stockers then.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm just over 39lbs. with 245/40R17 PSS on Volk TE37SL. I saw your ^ post and went to the basement to weigh mine. I'll be going with the same size PS4S in the spring.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I prefer the 245/40/18 because:

- additional ~1/2" sidewall for slightly softer ride and better wheel protection from potholes as a daily driver
- closer to the OE tire diameter to keep speedometer more accurate
- Many tire shops charge more for under 40 profiles, and many techs can't handle a 35 profile very well, leading to increased costs and potential damage to the wheel

However, these are specific to my needs/wants.

Your 17s are an inch smaller than what I'm running. That adds quite a bit of space to avoid rubbing. I have some camber plates waiting to go in, so when I do lower (very very modestly) I'm hoping to continue not rubbing from the 245/40/18s.

245/40 is closer to oem? Not sure what stock R tire size is, but on the gti 245/35/18 is 1.3% off while 245/40 is -2.45% off. There's a setting you can change with VCDS or OBD11 to adjust for the speedo difference btw.

You're right, the extra sidewall is a big help for street cars.

In my area they charge more for anything under 45 sidewall, but i argue with them all the time based on the fact they mount 205/45/17 left and right for less than they mount 245/40/17, despite the taller sidewall. I now pay 88$ for 4 tires when driving into the shop, or 100$ when they come to my driveway for my GTI or 100/120 for my Q7 (20" wheels and 285 for summer, 255 for winter).

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Maybe it was because of the tires being mounted (resulting in a higher value)?
Most people have just ordered the wheels by themselves on here without paying the fees.

I ran into that same scenario when I purchased coil overs from HPA Motorsports before (they're in Canada)....UPS wanted a ~$30 check to for the fees to release them. Although HPA refunded me for it

So it probably is just a UPS thing

Well that was nice of them..

WheelWiz basically just told me sucks to be me.. Really nothing I could have done, I had no choice on their carrier selection when I bought them nor did I have a clue I'd be pegged for an additional $85 at the damn door from UPS..

I wanted specifically to get a wheel tire package and have them mounted n balanced already so I could just swap them out myself. Worked out great, perfect balance and fit using the stock bolts too. I even slapped on the black bolt covers as well as they look good with em on and it keeps most of the dirt n water shit out of the bolt holes. Yes I could have gone with a wider wheel and a 245 tire but I just don't need it. As it is the car is sitting with thicker wider tires that grip and perform way better than the stock set, look WAY better and weigh 8.5lb less each rotor, I am happy.

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone rocking titan7's?
placed an order but wont be ready until may/june. titan7 ts5's, 18x8.5 weigh in at 17 lbs.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
anyone rocking titan7's?

placed an order but wont be ready until may/june. titan7 ts5's, 18x8.5 weigh in at 17 lbs.
There's at least 5 guys running them on here. I almost went with them myself but when nuespeeds are $600 cheaper and roughly as light lol.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I'm at 38lb 10oz with 235/45R17 PS4S on the 17*8 Fast FC04s. I'll probably get them on the car after I get back from my vacation the first week of March and will measure my stockers then.

That's the setup i'm saving for. Just wondering how the 235's fit? Much rim protection? Did you consider 245s or are PS4S more squarer?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
You guys who got charged ~$30 or ~$85 think that's bad, I was charged $140 by UPS for import fees for the Fast wheels. They claim it's because the DOT had to inspect the wheels, yada yada yada. $140 on a claimed value of $385 is ridiculous!! I mean, I understand Trump's tariff war with China could add an additional 10% (made in China wheels), but 37% is a little rough.

Just an FYI for anyone on the fence that might want to order wheels from Canada, you might want to do it soon. Multiple companies I contacted prior to ordering my Fast wheels from WheelWiz no longer ship to the US and WheelWiz recently emailed me saying they're thinking of no longer selling to the US due a significant increase in issues they've been having trying ship across the border.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This doesn't have anything to do with testing or tariffs, it's brokerage fees charged at customs by UPS and Fedex for most if not all shipments that pass through the border. That has everything to do with the shipping company and nothing to do with the product, shipper, etc. You're paying for them to make sure your package gets through customs, and they'll make sure they get that money. It's based on weight and box size, not value in my experience, so wheels will be mighty expensive.

USPS for example doesn't have these same fees because Postal Mail is all handled through state owned mail facilities, both here and in Canada. I don't know a solution, but it's possible that DHL or someone else would cost less. Companies shipping into the US often have their own broker and then charge more for shipping so at least the charges would be consistent. It doesn't make the freight cheaper though!

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
This doesn't have anything to do with testing or tariffs, it's brokerage fees charged at customs by UPS and Fedex for most if not all shipments that pass through the border. That has everything to do with the shipping company and nothing to do with the product, shipper, etc. You're paying for them to make sure your package gets through customs, and they'll make sure they get that money. It's based on weight and box size, not value in my experience, so wheels will be mighty expensive.

USPS for example doesn't have these same fees because Postal Mail is all handled through state owned mail facilities, both here and in Canada. I don't know a solution, but it's possible that DHL or someone else would cost less. Companies shipping into the US often have their own broker and then charge more for shipping so at least the charges would be consistent. It doesn't make the freight cheaper though!

Yes and no, I was charged both tariffs (confirmed through UPS billing department emails, if they lied, I have written proof) and brokerage fees. UPS charges brokerage fees based on duty value, at least from Canada and you can find these fees easily on their website. Based on the declared value, the brokerage fees are classified as "no charge." However, due to the DOT regulations, again this is directly from UPS, they had to impose a brokerage fee.

If you want, I can give you the import tariff codes that applied to my shipment to show you there were tariffs imposed on my wheels.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yes and no, I was charged both tariffs (confirmed through UPS billing department emails, if they lied, I have written proof) and brokerage fees. UPS charges brokerage fees based on duty value, at least from Canada and you can find these fees easily on their website. Based on the declared value, the brokerage fees are classified as "no charge." However, due to the DOT regulations, again this is directly from UPS, they had to impose a brokerage fee.

If you want, I can give you the import tariff codes that applied to my shipment to show you there were tariffs imposed on my wheels.

No that's fine, if you have a break down I believe you.

In most situations I've been involved with where there are surprise fees on shipments in or out of Canada it's always been customs brokerage. Maybe that's a broad term I've never seen the true cause of "customs brokerage" but I've never heard of DOT regulations causing inspections (since the parts aren't being installed at the border, and they don't know it's final destination) so that sounds wild to me. If there are items that the Government is applying tariffs to on finished goods for retail export purchases, that sucks. I did misspeak about how it's calculated, it is on declared value, but product type might also effect that. Do you know what the product type was classified as for NAFTA/Harmonization code?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

These clear GTI PP or Golf R brakes? Sorry if that's been asked before but I didn't find it in my search.