GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI SE MT6 DIY CLUTCH REBUILD GUIDE HS TUNING RSR CLUTCH

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
After reading this I'm going to find a very dealer to do my clutch. lol. I'll probably have to sign a waiver or something since it won't be OEM, but I don't want to risk breaking something and not having a car for a couple days!

In all honesty it is a very easy job to do. Just take your time, and remember where everything went. I had made zip lock bags and put everything in those so that way I didn't question where a certain bolt went.

greypanter

Ready to race!
russiankid is right, this diy isn't as hard as it seems, I've done mine last Thursday in my garage with a 15 degree weather! Honestly you don't even need to remember where everything goes coz you have this tutorial to show you where all the botls and nuts went. Just make sure to get the correct clutch alignment tool a few hand tools, engine support bar and give it a go!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

greypanter

Ready to race!
Giving the tranny box a finger just like OP did

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Giving the tranny box a finger just like OP did

Awesome. Just hit 40,000 miles, 20 of which are with this clutch and 1.5 93 ED. No sign of slippage whatsoever, a little more rattling than a few months ago, blame that on the valve delete and the 034 insert. All fairly aggressive driving. Would still recommend to everyone any day.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Glad to see this thread, often times I like following text and pictures over videos. Already watched a few videos as well and the job doesn't look bad, it'll be nice to know my MK7 better as well.

My 17' Sport has 24k miles on it untuned and I've only launched it from a dig a few times. So I think I can get away with not purchasing a flywheel. I'll be sure to check that my RSR clutch is the MK7 version before it goes in! Nice tip with using the engine support to lift the transmission, I was thinking about renting a lift but now I think I'll be ok. Thanks OP

Edit: Also, I read its a good idea to replace the rear main seal while in there with one of these: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24957

Anyone care to comment? Are rear main seals a common problem on MK7s?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Glad to see this thread, often times I like following text and pictures over videos. Already watched a few videos as well and the job doesn't look bad, it'll be nice to know my MK7 better as well.

My 17' Sport has 24k miles on it untuned and I've only launched it from a dig a few times. So I think I can get away with not purchasing a flywheel. I'll be sure to check that my RSR clutch is the MK7 version before it goes in! Nice tip with using the engine support to lift the transmission, I was thinking about renting a lift but now I think I'll be ok. Thanks OP

Edit: Also, I read its a good idea to replace the rear main seal while in there with one of these: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24957

I can't really comment on the rear main problem but if it isn't leaking I would leave it. Just opinion. I bought a clutch kit and will be installing it in a month or two

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SHCKR

Ready to race!

There was a thread on here somewhere about rear mains. Mine was missing some bolts, I just added them while I was in there, no leaks so far.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
50,000 mile update:

Holding great, no slips in any gear, under any percentage throttle. The entire time on 1.5 93 ED. And that's 90% aggressive driving.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, killer write up! I had never seen it before. Major props to you, SHCKR.

I don't have a 6MT any more, but I had an RSR clutch on my K04 MK6 for ~50k trouble-free miles. Great clutch!

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Sold the car a few months ago, got a new S4, can't say I don't miss it. Might have to get another one soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
I just finished going through 600 miles break in on my RSR clutch. At 31,000 miles, my stock clutch was mostly ok, but was starting to slip. I figured best to go on and replace it while the flywheel was still in good condition. First drive away from the shop, I stalled it. Felt like an idiot. After a couple of shifts I got used to the new feel of the RSR clutch. It required a little more pressure on the pedal, but not much. After 100 miles it was so much smoother than the stock clutch, which I wasn’t expecting. Now I’m loving it. No slip with my stage 2 tune and so much smoother. No chatter and no noise. I highly recommend this clutch.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
I just finished going through 600 miles break in on my RSR clutch. At 31,000 miles, my stock clutch was mostly ok, but was starting to slip. I figured best to go on and replace it while the flywheel was still in good condition. First drive away from the shop, I stalled it. Felt like an idiot. After a couple of shifts I got used to the new feel of the RSR clutch. It required a little more pressure on the pedal, but not much. After 100 miles it was so much smoother than the stock clutch, which I wasn’t expecting. Now I’m loving it. No slip with my stage 2 tune and so much smoother. No chatter and no noise. I highly recommend this clutch.
Did you do the bleeder block restrictor removal?

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you do the bleeder block restrictor removal?

Yes. I had done some time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro